Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
There is plan for 90mm stack (bigger), as discussed earlier for thicker (60mm rad +25mm fan) rads (still 240mm).
How thinner do you suggest? for double 120mm fans?

Ah, I'll be relying air cooling but I may consider an AIO in the future, so I'm just considering my options right now.

Reactions: Biowarejak

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
The stack unit feels a little misaligned. Can this be fixed in production?
Its the paint job... coz it's hand made prototype, they put too thick a layer of coating for the stack unit. Also made the fitting a bit too tight also. I have another set wtihout paint, and they fit perfectly, so it has to be the paint.

I also measured the painted one and compare with the unpainted, and will adjust for the differences.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
Is that a Noctua l12 or l12s? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
Edit: One more question, I feel like the ventilation area on the side panels could be a bit wider vertically. Seems to block of a bit much from the CPU cooler and the PSU.
Edit 2: Looks like the side ventilation is the same size as the top one. You could try to match the distance from the ventilation to the edges instead of the size the ventilation, that way it might not ruin the looks of the case. (sorry for the many edits)

Last edited:
Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Is that a Noctua l12 or l12s? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.
Edit: One more question, I feel like the ventilation area on the side panels could be a bit wider vertically. Seems to block of a bit much from the CPU cooler and the PSU.
Edit 2: Looks like the side ventilation is the same size as the top one. You could try to match the distance from the ventilation to the edges instead of the size the ventilation, that way it might not ruin the looks of the case. (sorry for the many edits)

- L12S
- Yes, the vent holes are same for top and sides, design theme is about symmetry and for aesthetics. Also I try to avoid having the looks being to close to that of our Swedish friends.

Reactions: Aki

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Its the paint job... coz it's hand made prototype, they put too thick a layer of coating for the stack unit. Also made the fitting a bit too tight also. I have another set wtihout paint, and they fit perfectly, so it has to be the paint.

I also measured the painted one and compare with the unpainted, and will adjust for the differences.

I see :) nothing to worry about then.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
- L12S
- Yes, the vent holes are same for top and sides, design theme is about symmetry and for aesthetics. Also I try to avoid having the looks being to close to that of our Swedish friends.

If that is the L12S does that mean there is 70mm instead of 65mm clearance? I think you should keep that :). It can avoid a lot of turbulence issues with air cooler as well as improve compatibility with some cpu blocks.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
If that is the L12S does that mean there is 70mm instead of 65mm clearance? I think you should keep that :). It can avoid a lot of turbulence issues with air cooler as well as improve compatibility with some cpu blocks.

Yep, L12S having fan blow outwards is much better. Hot air gets pushed right out of the case. VRM doesn't heat up as much. When I first designed it I allowed for some slack but I quoted a smaller clearance just in case it doesn't fit. It is hard to anticipate a 5mm extra clearance in the engineering process, considering spaces can be lost in variations in standoff height, paint thickness, motherboard thickness, side panel magnetic tape thickness, etc. 2-3mm can be gone so easily. Count L12S fits as a bonus. ;)

As you can see with "other" designs in the forum, I honestly think they have pushed the limit too far in their design vs actual production. I am not surprised if they ran into problems in actual production.

Reactions: SirJack

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
As I am about to decide to invest up front die casting and first 100-500 production run for the case. I would like to plan ahead for the marketing. Your advice and suggestions are all welcome. I won't say how much, but initial investment is not a small amount.

• KS: how can I get more people to know about my Kickstarter launch, apart from the reviews?
  • Youtube / website reviews: Would like to know how I can get some of the more recognized youtubers/website to review my product. How do I go about this? Do I just write to them and ask them (providing my info)?
  • Community participation: I am ready to send out some units (from actual first production run from die casts, NOT handmade prototypes) at cost/ or at a loss) to interested users that are willing to do their builds and share them with rest of us. Modding will be great of course. What is the suitable price? Is USD90-100 acceptable (final price of whole set with stack unit will be around USD180)?
  • SFF Lab? : Is it a good time to start to contact SFF Lab for a potential marketing/sales channel/partner? Do you think they will be interested in my product? What else do I need to do/change in order to achieve this?
  • Other sales channels: overclockers UK? or others? What's the market practice for this?
  • Anything I have overlooked: please enlighten me!

Your advice is much appreciated. For those who are interested in this product, would help to make this a reality if you could help ask around also. Cheers ;)

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
  • KS: how can I get more people to know about my Kickstarter launch, apart from the reviews?

You definitely should start a forum on [H]ard. Maybe you can handout codes to buyers they can give to others for a discount, for both the code giver and receiver, kind of like Uber.

• Youtube / website reviews: Would like to know how I can get some of the more recognized youtubers/website to review my product. How do I go about this? Do I just write to them and ask them (providing my info)?

Jays, Linus, Bitwit? Make sure you have a finished product; they usually don't like unfinished products.

• Community participation: I am ready to send out some units (from actual first production run from die casts, NOT handmade prototypes) at cost/ or at a loss) to interested users that are willing to do their builds and share them with rest of us. Modding will be great of course. What is the suitable price? Is USD90-100 acceptable (final price of whole set with stack unit will be around USD180)?

I'm interested. I plan to do an aio based build if I get the 60mm stack or custom build of you also release the thicker stack on first release; kinda need a case soon so will buy what comes first. 100USD is acceptable.

This should turn out great :)!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
As I am about to decide to invest up front die casting and first 100-500 production run for the case. I would like to plan ahead for the marketing. Your advice and suggestions are all welcome. I won't say how much, but initial investment is not a small amount.

• SFF Lab? : Is it a good time to start to contact SFF Lab for a potential marketing/sales channel/partner? Do you think they will be interested in my product? What else do I need to do/change in order to achieve this?
  • Other sales channels: overclockers UK? or others? What's the market practice for this?
  • Anything I have overlooked: please enlighten me!

Your advice is much appreciated. For those who are interested in this product, would help to make this a reality if you could help ask around also. Cheers ;)

I responded to you via PM, but the following questions are things you really should think through before KS/Production:

• If the value of the enclosure is limited to interior improvement & a cheaper price, another person on this forum can make the same enclosure even cheaper than you, then what?
  • While interior improvement is open to debate, a cheaper price is obvious. If they all look similar, people can just wait for the next person who is going to make a even cheaper version than yours. How will this affect your Crowdfunding / Preorder?
  • Your brand is new, you are not Samsung (a known brand and quality taking design cue from Apple). How do I know your prototype quality = production quality. Also, what happens after the first batch? It's very rare for Chinese mfg to maintain the same quality as the first batch / prototype, are you going to physically QA every batch of products?

If you can answer these questions, I'm sure people in the forum are happy to help you market your product.

We need to know you are serious and thoughtful before we get serious about helping you :)

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I responded to you via PM, but the following questions are things you really should think through before KS/Production:

• If the value of the enclosure is limited to interior improvement & a cheaper price, another person on this forum can make the same enclosure even cheaper than you, then what?
  • While interior improvement is open to debate, a cheaper price is obvious. If they all look similar, people can just wait for the next person who is going to make a even cheaper version than yours. How will this affect your Crowdfunding / Preorder?
  • Your brand is new, you are not Samsung (a known brand and quality taking design cue from Apple). How do I know your prototype quality = production quality. Also, what happens after the first batch? It's very rare for Chinese mfg to maintain the same quality as the first batch / prototype, are you going to physically QA every batch of products?

If you can answer these questions, I'm sure people in the forum are happy to help you market your product.

We need to know you are serious and thoughtful before we get serious about helping you :)

Sent the same to you in PM, but thought will also post here since you replied here as well.

Thanks for your prompt reply, based on that maybe it boils down to these issues (for the moment):

1) design similar to that of Louqe's - I did draw inspiration from Louqe's (stacking) and I have tried to make changes to differentiate, such as curved feet that runs down the body, gap on top panel to allow easy detachment of panels, and mesh hole dimensions are also different. I have not followed their progress closely, but they seem to face severe delays, apart from design, I think execution and delivery is just as , if not more, important. This applies to me also.

Having first hand experience in development of the case, I am kinda not surprised Louqe facing some issues. Their design, e.g. extrusion, super tight dimensions, may result in delivery problems. They are more focused on paper design, whereas for me, I am currently in manufacturing business myself.

2, 3) product at prototype stage only - it is my plan to see this through to production. I totally understand it is hard for other parties to make any commitments until product is being shipped and even better with good feedback from customers. Simply, it needs a track record, which I understand and expect no less, so guess I will just proceed and do my part first. As mentioned in my message, I am just writing in advance to see if there is anything I need to prepare or plan ahead in order to accommodate.

I am trying to build a brand and this is only the first product. I have a few other designs in my bag, but will proceed further if this one goes well. Apart from price, it is my plan to build a brand for elegant and quality computer equipment and gadgets. Maybe it will be clearer to you once this is launched, shipped, and with my company/brand/website setup.

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
KS: how can I get more people to know about my Kickstarter launch, apart from the reviews?

Have you considered the other crowdsourcing platforms? Might be something worth checking out, since some might match up with your needs better. Also need to have the bonuses and pledge level rewards thought out properly.

Youtube / website reviews: Would like to know how I can get some of the more recognized youtubers/website to review my product. How do I go about this? Do I just write to them and ask them (providing my info)?

The most popular Youtubers will grab attention, but you could also work with some smaller up and coming reviewers, especially ones more sff oriented. Optimum Tech might be one to check out.

Related, are you planning to run a test batch for reviewing and demos and then running the first batch for selling, or will you be using units from the first batch itself?

Anything I have overlooked: please enlighten me!

Possibly get a Youtube channel and website to market the product more. Similarly, what does EG stand for?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I am interested in this case. I just hope you pick a good sale platform that has cheaper shipping outside of the US.

As for community testing, I am interested if it will be priced for 90-100 USD.

Reactions: macbosco