Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Thanks. I'm looking forward to tearing in to mine and getting it built...

I hate the APO system and how long it takes to get mail, but I guess I should feel lucky that I can even GET mail out here. I have some velcro tape but almost positive its to thick. Time to order some thin two sided tape.

Is their anywhere I could look for custom length cables for small FF builds? I'm reminded I'm missing the necessary mini zip ties... balls.

The tape I used is 3mm thick foam tape, so I'd image that velcro should actually be pretty comparable thickness wise.

I'm pretty sure CableMod will do custom short cables upon request. Really, the only one which was a pain in the ass was the 24pin power cable. It would have been a luxury to get 2 single ended SATA power instead of only having the 4X daisy chain route, but even that was fairly manageable by comparison.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Allhopeforhumanity

These are the custom cables I used:

Actually I have a plan in my KS campaign, e.g. if goal is reached by x% (e.g. 200/250/300%) I will include the custom cables for free. ;)
EDIT: I don't want to announce anything official until I have worked out the numbers, and give any false hopes or expectations.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
@Allhopeforhumanity

These are the custom cables I used:

Actually I have a plan in my KS campaign, e.g. if goal is reached by x% (e.g. 200/250/300%) I will include the custom cables for free. ;)
EDIT: I don't want to announce anything official until I have worked out the numbers, and give any false hopes or expectations.

That sounds awesome, albeit ambitious haha. I'll probably snag a custom sleeved set to these lengths after Xmas bonus season, for now I want to get another A12x15 to compare to the Scythe Slipstream on the Big Shuriken without having to remove the one so helpfully providing extra intake under the PSU, but I need to figure out a mounting solution with some custom clips or dremal work.

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Got my case today at work, so now its just the waiting game tell all my parts get in... which i really hope they all get in at the same day. Going to mock it up so I have a sense about were and how everything is supposed to go. I'm actually pretty surprised at the initial build quality and anodizing (I have the black). The pictures don't do it justice.

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Finally got it mocked up and wanted to give my initial impressions. Since I am waiting on parts I'm not going to be building in it just yet. Many apologies for the late review and still delayed assembly. My node 202 is still chugging away and I can't wait to deep six that thing.

*NOTE- This is a preproduction sample and not indicative of the finished product. Keep that in mind when reading.

Overall Appearance- I was initially pretty impressed with the general appearance of the parts. As I messed with it I started to notice some minor blemish's around some of the corners in the what I assume is a powder coat. Mainly around things like the holes in the side and top cover, one or two rough corners, things like that. I'm not concerned with it because I got a good deal with the understanding that preproduction is what it is. I like the black, its a great compromise with getting the worlds coolest color without having to endure it collecting fingerprints with its semi-rough satin texture. Good call on this front.

Assembly- This is were things got interesting. Since no instructions were included (didn't expect any) I was basically using everyone else's photos as general guide of what goes where. The one part that gave me the most trouble, and imagine will be a bit of massive PITA is the top hat. Its not immediately clear that the top bar needs to be swapped out and after much cursing and head scratching I finally figured it out. Not blaming my own stupidity on the design, but I feel there could be something easier with respect to the top hat. Maybe including thread holes on the top of the bars already in place or changing it so that it slots in and screws in without having to remove said bar. I only say this, since it will make building this whole thing in stages a bit easier.

Speaking of thread holes, my particular example of the case needed a bit of elbow grease to get everything to line up. This is ok to some extent, but I wonder what the bending and tension that i potentially will put on say a motherboard might have in the short or long term life of the board. Plus its a bit maddening with the amount of various screws that need attention to tighten one down and then realize you have to loosen it slightly to get the other to give you enough play to thread them both. Maybe jogging out the holes a bit up/down in final production and giving them more of an oval shop if this part of the assembly can't be mitigated easily would help people more easily assemble units that might be a bit off in spec. Trouble with these small cases is it doesn't take much and once the tolerance stacking starts in one area its going to create havoc with the rest of the case.

Thats all I have for now. Should have the parts in a week to 8-9 days from today (hopefully the two box's with my Black Friday goodies all arrive at once).

Overall, once I got it all together it looks quite impressive. I'm amazed at how small it is, even with the top hat installed. Unfortunately I didn't get all 4 of the magnetic strips for the metal side covers. But I might try an experiment with the 1080 with the metal grill and the glass cover were all the RGB bling will be. Curious to see what the temps will be.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Assembly- This is were things got interesting. Since no instructions were included (didn't expect any) I was basically using everyone else's photos as general guide of what goes where. The one part that gave me the most trouble, and imagine will be a bit of massive PITA is the top hat. Its not immediately clear that the top bar needs to be swapped out and after much cursing and head scratching I finally figured it out. Not blaming my own stupidity on the design, but I feel there could be something easier with respect to the top hat. Maybe including thread holes on the top of the bars already in place or changing it so that it slots in and screws in without having to remove said bar. I only say this, since it will make building this whole thing in stages a bit easier.

Bosco's video shows how to install the top hat.

But, I agree on the problems with the difficulty of getting things lined up properly. Bosco has indicated that the packaging for the production units will help protect the components from getting bent the way some of the test units were.

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
I saw the 20 second video, If there is a longer one I'd love a link, just to double check.

No worries, I stumbled through it and figured it out. Maybe I'm a dullard but I know what the PSU backet and SSD cage are for, but for the life of me the two other brackets that came with it I can't figure out.

Considering were it was made, were it traveled to in the states, then being immediately shipped onward to my place of work half way round the world it held up pretty well.

Has it been considered to experiment with different materials. Of course this will raise the cost per unit, but maybe a stronger material would resist this bending. Some of the bending wasn't due to packaging, but was defiantly due to some tolerance issues with how things were lining up.

Reactions: macbosco

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
There has been some radio silence on my end but it is all good things with a purpose. I have been hard at work getting my site up and running to publish the review and ongoing coverage of the Steck. I just purchased a VPS so we can have a snazzy Discourse forum, and custom dynamic web app-based sites for my website. Out of respect to forum staff here, though, I can’t advertise or say too much about my site itself, though, since it might very well be considered a conflict of interests to SFFForum.

Last edited:
Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Maybe I can be more clear about where to find the link of the installation videos. Coz I will be setting up a website and put the videos there, I will include a printed QR code and link to where the user can get the installation instruction. Just seems like the trend now that we make more use of electronic media and save paper? ;)

Personally when I refer to iFixit for stuff, I just use my phone/tablet to follow online instructions.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Yes. Its SP120 from Corsair.

I'm impressed that you managed to fit a full 25mm under there without any of the cables in the way. Even with a 15mm in that position its pretty close to having the PCI-E power falling between the blades. Maybe it will be worth looking into one of those silverstone wire fan grills until I can get some custom length cables.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
My Steck is so good that I have no more to do on it! Ahahahaha!!

@macbosco Try to consider for the V2 version, to leave more space between the Motherboard and the PSU, between 5mm and 10mm, so is it possible to remove the motherboard without unscrewing the other panels! FOr the regular 267mm GPU is it already possible actually! and Is it possible for the PSU to find an easy solution, I think!

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
My Steck is so good that I have no more to do on it! Ahahahaha!!

@macbosco Try to consider for the V2 version, to leave more space between the Motherboard and the PSU, between 5mm and 10mm

I am wondering that also ;). But reason why the PSU bracket is slot in and screwed in from the other side is for holding strength. Note for other similar cases the screw in from the same side as the PSU, the whole weight is only held by the few tiny screws, not good engineering :)

Another way is to have a bracket that stands up with feet going right down to the bottom panel... v2 will need some big re-design

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
But I think is enough removing this part, so we can slide it out!

EDIT: Nevermind, actually just unscrewing the PSU from top and sliding to remove is the same, so, forget my comment! But for the MB, yes!

Last edited:

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
I'm running a FE 1080, anyone noticed better temps on their gfx cards who are running a fan below the PSU?