Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
Some initial design parts for Steck v2:
  • Double 120x15mm or 120x25mm, hidden inside the current feet, pushes air up the case.
  • Feet style re-designed also with a curve opening
  • Fans hidden in the "pocket" inside the feet, but still raised up by 10mm to allow air get sucked in
  • Overall case height maybe raised by 15-18mm, even though can house 25mm fans
EDIT: please feedback, in particular, is the curved opening better?

When is V2 due to release? Is that what is slated for around January next year?

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
When is V2 due to release? Is that what is slated for around January next year?
v2 will only be release depends on how well v1.x is received. But it is my hope to release it by end of 2019. This is only an initial draft, there is still lots of work to be done, such as prototyping, tooling, etc.

I would only recommend you to get current version and upgrade with possible discount for existing customers. Otherwise we will be in a forever cycle of waiting and upgrades, and the thing will never ship.

EDIT: and anyway, based on your alias, seems you have joined the forum for Alex's Mjolnir project?

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
  • Double 120x15mm or 120x25mm, hidden inside the current feet, pushes air up the case.
  • Fans hidden in the "pocket" inside the feet, but still raised up by 10mm to allow air get sucked in

LOVE IT!! You should round also the corner between the curve and the flat line!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Now its got me wondering if a little good thermal compound would lower ram temps... or liquid metal.

Also, would it be worth it to find a Z390 board to give myself a bit of upward upgradability or go for a Z370 board to fit the 8700K and not worry about it tell the next wave?
Ram temp are super fine!!!

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
v2 will only be release depends on how well v1.x is received. But it is my hope to release it by end of 2019. This is only an initial draft, there is still lots of work to be done, such as prototyping, tooling, etc.

I would only recommend you to get current version and upgrade with possible discount for existing customers. Otherwise we will be in a forever cycle of waiting and upgrades, and the thing will never ship.

EDIT: and anyway, based on your alias, seems you have joined the forum for Alex's Mjolnir project?
Awesome thanks for the info. Yes I've been watching that one as well. I've been lurking on the forum for months but only just recently made an account. Excited to hopefully do some builds soon with different SFF cases and make comparisons. Definitely liking the design of yours.

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Awesome thanks for the info. Yes I've been watching that one as well. I've been lurking on the forum for months but only just recently made an account. Excited to hopefully do some builds soon with different SFF cases and make comparisons. Definitely liking the design of yours.
Thor case will probably be lengthen by 35-40mm if it were to fit a 120mm AIO cooler... wonder how it will affect the overall proportion since width remains the same. Don't know how much this re-design will affect their progress... I hope all creators do well here. SFF deserves to enter into the mainstream.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

All sounds great to me. I love the curve on the new foot design.

I don't think that the majority of potential buyers would be too put off by a slight height increase, particularly if it allows for cooling and quieter operation. For example, my buddy has one of those InWin Choppin's with the Flex ATX psu, and even though its a killer looking chassis for an APU box, if that fan kicks on, its obnoxiousness nearly ruins the entire experience .

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@testers,

Just done some more thermal testing on 8700K and 2700X, and I have found something interesting. 25mm fan improves the temps further for 2700X, reducing 5degC further comparing with 15mm fan. Intel 8700K runs similar temps with 15mm fan. Although I haven't tested 8700K with 25mm fan expect it to run cooler with that.

A Study of 2700X / 8700K Thermal Performance in Steck (with chassis fan)

Conclusion
  • 8700K generates less heat than 2700X
  • 25mm fan is adequate for stock or even with slight OC (if you accept ~85degC temps)
  • 25mm fan recommended for 2700X at stock settings
  • 15mm fan recommended for 8700K at stock settings
  • Using chassis fan means one must use m.2. Fan takes up space of hdd position
  • 25mm fan can be fitted easily with stock PSU cables (just need to tuck them nicely in the gap behind the PSU)
Summary of the tests: Prime95 Small FFT 10min, all run in stock
2700X / 25mm fan (opened) : 76degC, (closed) : 79degC
8700K / 15mm fan (opened) : 73degC, (closed) : 80degC

Let me know if you think I could have done anything wrong. Otherwise I have found "a way" to solve the thermals for the highest end CPUs, albeit sacrificing hdd mounting space. But personally I don't use SATA so it's not an issue for me. I will leave it at that for now. However Steck version 2 WILL include redesign of panel ventilation, this is a promise. ;). But please understand I can't afford to do major remake of the tools at this stage. Remind you that there will still be 1.x revision and you will be sent those free of charge. :D

EDIT : my rig with 25mm fan, fits comfortably

Last edited:

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018

I like the look of the curved opening much better.

Reactions: fabio

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Conclusion
  • 8700K generates less heat than 2700X
  • 25mm fan is adequate for stock or even with slight OC (if you accept ~85degC temps)
  • 25mm fan recommended for 2700X at stock settings
  • 15mm fan recommended for 8700K at stock settings
  • Using chassis fan means one must use m.2. Fan takes up space of hdd position
  • 25mm fan can be fitted easily with stock PSU cables (just need to tuck them nicely in the gap behind the PSU)
Summary of the tests: Prime95 Small FFT 10min, all run in stock
2700X / 25mm fan (opened) : 76degC, (closed) : 79degC
8700K / 15mm fan (opened) : 73degC, (closed) : 80degC

When you tested the two CPUs, did you lock the TDP? Certain motherboards can dictate what "stock" means, and it isn't always a 1-to-1 in terms of how much voltage is permitted during a boost cycle. Both MCE and XFR for example violate the stock TDP limit, and on the new Z390 boards, enabling XMP profiles can also relax certain voltage limitations. Basically, I don't think its necessarily fair to say that a 2700x necessarily generates more heat than an 8700k in all circumstances, so peoples mileage may vary.

One other thing that I found was that 10 minutes in Prime95 wasn't necessarily sufficient to reach steady state saturated temps. I'd see 2-3 C creep in the 20-30 minute range as things like the frame and panels continue to thermally soak, and full saturation at around 45 minutes. So just a heads up, particularly when the panels are closed, that you may see a bit higher temps than what is reported here, but the differing deltas likely remain similar.

One other test that might be worth doing to evaluate the effectiveness of the 15 and 25mm fans is to do a combined CPU/GPU test. Something like Heaven + Prime might be useful to see how well the fans can expel heat dumped into both sides of the chassis, or if re-circulation might be occurring between the two compartments. My 15mm fans were delayed until today, but I'm hoping to try this out too once I get the new parts in.

Reactions: Longbow072

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Guys, another test on AIR! I push the TDP Limit of the 9900K to 140W for the Long Period, and well, now under Prime it stays rock solid at 4.3GHZ, no thermal throttling, 80 Degrees CPU Package!

Under Intel BurnTest, 10 loop, Frequencies between 4.5 and 4.7, Max Temp reached is 95 degrees! These are Stress test, you can see how is good this CPU in the Nouvolo steck under AIR!! (Custom panels). Maybe soon I will try the Liquid Cooling, but till now I don't see the point! I will start to use it for my work tasks and I will keep you updated!

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Updated PSU bracket, should now fit to standard spec. The rim is extended round the edge, revealing the power socket face completely.

UPDATE: new 1x HDD bracket, as per my own request for change XD

I will install the updated strengthened spine later, it has also taller GPU adapter standoffs. GPU backplate should be further away from the spine. Sorry just gaming time to burn in my CPU now :p

Last edited:

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
Sorry of not posting more, I'm currently a bit short on time.

Today I got the invoice for the duty from fedex and I noticed that the sum was a bit bit too high. Turns out that they added the shipping cost on top of the 100$. I might try to get them to fix it, but in the end it's only a few bucks and this will most likely be very annoying.
Just wanted to notify bosco, maybe he can do something about it for future shipments. Also, I'm not blaming bosco for this, as this is not his fault.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Updated PSU bracket, should now fit to standard spec. The rim is extended round the edge, revealing the power socket face completely.

UPDATE: new 1x HDD bracket, as per my own request for change XD

I will install the updated strengthened spine later, it has also taller GPU adapter standoffs. GPU backplate should be further away from the spine. Sorry just gaming time to burn in my CPU now :p
Cool! You should check as well the Cerberus SSD bracket. Are just 2 L shape, so cheaper to produce and better looking!

Reactions: macbosco

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I’m interested in a small, quiet pc. I like the compact sandwich layout, but I’m pretty sure it would need some dedicated exhaust fans to achieve my desired fan speeds. I wasn’t a big fan of the top hat nature of the ghost, in no small part due to the total cost with that add-on. If mounts for some slim/full fans become part of a v2, I’d be quite keen on this case. Ideally that wouldn’t be exclusive of a 2.5” ssd, but that isn’t a dealbreaker for me.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I’m interested in a small, quiet pc. I like the compact sandwich layout, but I’m pretty sure it would need some dedicated exhaust fans to achieve my desired fan speeds. I wasn’t a big fan of the top hat nature of the ghost, in no small part due to the total cost with that add-on. If mounts for some slim/full fans become part of a v2, I’d be quite keen on this case. Ideally that wouldn’t be exclusive of a 2.5” ssd, but that isn’t a dealbreaker for me.
For ver 1.x there will already be holes at the bottom panel for one 120x25mm fan mount, in place of the 2.5" hdd position.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog