Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Updates on Nouvolo Steck launch:

Extreme measures have been taken to protect the parts during transit. Each part is cushioned with foam and stacked up in layers with foam sheet in between. The box size is also smaller than the final built case dimension to save cost in shipping, though more costs is spent on protection to ensure users get their product in good condition.
Packing is underway :).

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I am wondering that also ;). But reason why the PSU bracket is slot in and screwed in from the other side is for holding strength. Note for other similar cases the screw in from the same side as the PSU, the whole weight is only held by the few tiny screws, not good engineering :)

Another way is to have a bracket that stands up with feet going right down to the bottom panel... v2 will need some big re-design[/QUOTE

Amazing job!!! Where and when I can buy one???

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Updates on Nouvolo Steck launch:

Extreme measures have been taken to protect the parts during transit. Each part is cushioned with foam and stacked up in layers with foam sheet in between. The box size is also smaller than the final built case dimension to save cost in shipping, though more costs is spent on protection to ensure users get their product in good condition.
Packing is underway :).

But are there already the V1.1 tweaks on these??

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
But are there already the V1.1 tweaks on these??
First 500 units => v1.0, (KS launch), improvement over tester community units: better surface and color finishing, including mesh hole color fix, standoff marks smoothed out
501 units onward => v1.1, improvements : strengthened and minor parts adjustments (refer to posts) [note: 120mm fan holes drilled included]

Note: With this packaging, I don't expect much problem as before in terms of crushing the parts

At the end it is still a PC case only, but I think this is packaging can count as one of the better ones for this kind of product? The foam pieces have to be custom made...more molds...

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
First 500 units => v1.0, (KS launch), improvement over tester community units: better surface and color finishing
501 units onward => v1.1, improvements : strengthened and minor parts adjustments (refer to posts) [note: 120mm fan holes drilled included]
I want to buy one more as a thank you!!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
First 500 units => v1.0, (KS launch), improvement over tester community units: better surface and color finishing, including mesh hole color fix, standoff marks smoothed out

Note: With this packaging, I don't expect much problem as before in terms of crushing the parts

At the end it is still a PC case only, but I think this is packaging can count as one of the better ones for this kind of product? The foam pieces have to be custom made...more molds...
The packaging seems very good! Don't forget one last piece of foam on top! :cool: I like the box as well!

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Truth be told, how mine was packaged was fine. It was send from wherever it originated from, then got shipped again half way round the world and the glass and parts were fine.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@macbosco I was thinking one thing for the V2: what about to add mounting holes/plate for the HDplex? Like DAN did for his case.
So we can have a 120mm AIO without the top hat, if you do an opening also on the psu side of the spine...
And I am pretty sure is there space under the GPU to integrate as well the HDplex 400W power brick!
Will be very good move! Also without the power brick option, but, if will be possible we can have a more compact powerful setup!
Am I dreaming???

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
What is the consensus for supporting wider GPU cards e.g. 2.5-3x slots?

I am planning for v2 now, and it will probably support longer cards up to about 315mm. But these longer cards are usually also wider?

If the GPU compartment is made larger, maybe there is more possibility for custom loop setup? e.g. thin profile reservoir, etc?

Lets have your feedback.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018

I am planning for v2 now, and it will probably support longer cards up to about 315mm. But these longer cards are usually also wider?

If the GPU compartment is made larger, maybe there is more possibility for custom loop setup? e.g. thin profile reservoir, etc?

Lets have your feedback.

I wouldn't want support for 2.5 or 2.75 slot cards--I really think those cards are better suited for systems that aren't being crammed into ITX cases. But, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 slot card have a little more breathing room.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
I think supporting three slots is a great idea. 2.75 slot GPUs are becoming more and more common. Furthermore, you would also open up options for folks to mount additional hardware on the side panel (e.g., a slim radiator or large aftermarket GPU HSF). Three slots would help make the Steck a very versatile chassis. I can just imagine some awesome YouTube videos from folks cramming the Steck full with custom loop water cooling hardware!

This would help distinguish the Steck from other "similar" chassis (Ghost S1, A4-SFX, A50, etc.) and elevate it into its own, truly unique category.

Reactions: teodoro

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
At least 2.5 support, we don't know how the market will move in the future but right now, 2 slot card is entry level to mid level solutions. The cooler and more quiet solutions are longer and wider.

Reactions: xSDMx

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of going bigger than 2.5 slots. I still think that mid-range shorter cards are the sweet-spot for chassis like the Steck, especially since then you can fit a few more SSDs and not have to worry about thermals on the GPU side as much. The extra breathing room could cut down on the turbulence induced noise when the fans rev up though, so while I wouldn't complain about going a touch wider, I prefer the width as is.

Reactions: Engr62

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Playing the APO waiting game is just about killing me... 6 more days at least of twiddling thumbs until the parts might arr

I might be a complete dullard, but I get what the PSU and SSD cages are for, but what are the other two brackets that the Pre-Pro came with? Normal HD? Who's not using SSD's these days?

Reactions: macbosco

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

Lets have your feedback.
Well, if the only reason to get a wider space for the GPU is the “new” GPU trend, I don’t agree.
There is a good post of De.Zaber in the sentry thread.
The SFF is having more presence, and we have seen this also at computex. Everything will become a bit smaller and energy efficient in my opinion, especially with the 7nm node. Every brand has its own 2 slots GPU. Ok, is not overclocked, no rgb etc, but IF I choose an SFF, I accept and I am aware of the limit. Of course there are case with a lot of possibilities like your Steck, but doesn’t mean it should suit for everyone and everything!
If people want 3 slots, there is the Ncase already!
Of course is my personal opinion! But if you see which are the most selling SFF, the DAN, Skyreach S4 they speak for themself.

Last edited: