Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

JP Special

Case Bender
Dec 17, 2019
Unfortunaly my future case is traveling around the world still. Arived in France 2 Weeks ago before X Mass. But got the opinion to do some more countries before ariving in final Destination. And it make me realise shipping around X mass and New year was not a good Idea.

IT went to Germany then Holland i think it had a good time. But after 26 Days I think its time it comes finaly home.

In the mean time. One good thing. I practiced on 3 other Cases from HTPC to Mini ITX. Battled a fight with the bios on a X470 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600 processor. And hope I will win this battle today.

So let me say i had again some practice. I learned a lot again here. I hope i can upload some pictures soon.

Nothing to blame Nouvolo. Certainly NOT . Realise now again how the world turns.

Greatings

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Anyone thought of putting one of these below the PSU? https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000045678016.html I know it's meant for the m1, idk if it would work being laid horizontally. But just a thought. :)

At 41mm thick, plus a DDC pump at ~21mm (for the Alphacool DDC310 for example), and then right angle fittings which are like another 50mm, I'm pretty sure you'd run out of space.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
At 41mm thick, plus a DDC pump at ~21mm (for the Alphacool DDC310 for example), and then right angle fittings which are like another 50mm, I'm pretty sure you'd run out of space.
But it isn't stacked all on top of each other. The pump looks to stick out about 5-10mm (it is recessed into the red somewhat)
Pics from this post.

I guess the determining factor would be how long it is with the fittings at the end(it might be too long to fit the width of the case). And if it's safe to use horizontally (due to air possibly getting into the pump if laid horizontally)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
But it isn't stacked all on top of each other. The pump looks to stick out about 5-10mm (it is recessed into the red somewhat)
Pics from this post.

I guess the determining factor would be how long it is with the fittings at the end(it might be too long to fit the width of the case). And if it's safe to use horizontally (due to air possibly getting into the pump if laid horizontally)

Ah, it was hard to tell how recessed the DDC port was recessed in the link. So at 10mm, call it 51 for the pump and res. I think the hardest part is that the fitting ports are perpendicular to the back face, so that is going to add the height of a 90 deg fitting, the lowest profile of which I found (https://koolance.com/fitting-single-black-swiveling-elbow-low-profile) adds another 20mm. So if you can manage ~71mm you may be golden.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Can you maybe post a picture? So would I also need to drill holes on my top plate as well?

8 holes for 2x120mm fans + X number of holes to secure the top plate to the 3d printed tophat?

Also, has anybody tried repainting their Steck? What process did you take?

I looked the dimensions of the fan mounting plate, and I'm doubtful that anything can be printed which would be sturdy enough to support a radiator and 2 fans unless you go have access to a printer like the markforge that can print in carbon fiber or onyx. I also looked at integrating the mounting bracket into the stack unit and there isn't any easy way to maintain the dimensionality of the top hat while still making it strong enough, particularly if you need to print it in 2-pieces; as the sheer stresses are simply too large. Maybe with something like making the stack unit taller and integrating buttressing, but would that be something you want?

Reactions: Xaeons

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Maybe with something like making the stack unit taller and integrating buttressing, but would that be something you want?

It's ok, no need to do anything, I was just curious about the medium stack if it needs the steck tophat mounting rail for the fans. Thanks for checking it though

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
It's ok, no need to do anything, I was just curious about the medium stack if it needs the steck tophat mounting rail for the fans. Thanks for checking it though

A medium one that only needs to support fans is probably doable. I was running calculations with the weight of a standard AIO + fans, and was over the yield stress of what I could reasonably do with ABS/PLA. Let me circle back around to this tonight and see what it looks like for fans only on a medium stack.

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
What I'd like to do now is to laser cut some acrylic side panels. I've been lurking reddit looking for someone who has already done it, but either they've done it and don't want to share the files, or they're selling the panels.

Is it as simple as taking measurements, firing up Adobe Illustrator, and creating a ".ai" file that I can then use at our local laser cutting shop? I have access to some acrylic panels but I don't know where to start.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I am pretty sure someone shared what they used on this thread. irc, I never saw someone asking to sell the panels.

Reactions: Xaeons

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
I am pretty sure someone shared what they used on this thread. irc, I never saw someone asking to sell the panels.
Now that you mentioned it, it seems there is! I never bothered searching this thread and it was right under my nose! I'll check this out

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
A medium one that only needs to support fans is probably doable. I was running calculations with the weight of a standard AIO + fans, and was over the yield stress of what I could reasonably do with ABS/PLA. Let me circle back around to this tonight and see what it looks like for fans only on a medium stack.

I think this will work. I didn't get to finish the model because a work deadline snuck up on me, but preliminary analysis shows that the print material should be strong enough to support the fans.

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Now that you mentioned it, it seems there is! I never bothered searching this thread and it was right under my nose! I'll check this out

Well, that was a waste of time:
1. His link to the CAD file is down
2. Sent him a message 2 days ago asking if he could share/reupload the CAD file.
I can see his online activity in his profile and he is online these past few days and he seems to be ignoring me despite several attempts

So yeah, same thing as those people I messaged in reddit about sharing their CAD/AI files for the side panels: no response and doesn't want to share

@Nouvolo
Let me check, I think I only have the SketchUp file with me. Is that ok?
Can you share the SketchuUp file or any CAD/AI files related to the side/top panels? That would be greatly appreciated.
I'll just make it myself and teach myself how to use Adobe Illustrator in the process

Thanks

shadydaverave

Case Bender
Jan 10, 2020
Hi
I've just built into my Steck, Im in the UK, took just over a month to arrive from Hong Kong, thought I'd take some time to share my experience and some images

Specs are;
Ryzen 2600x, Noctura L12s
16GB Corsair LPX 3200mhz ddr4
Crucial P1 1tb M.2 Nvme
Asrock fatality B450
Corsair SF750 (was £10 cheaper than SF600 platinum on amazon sale)
sapphire rx580 nitro+

Quality;
very good for the price, got it for $150 about £120 and it cost me £12 import tax
once its built up and you screw the bottom panel on the main unit is pretty solid, the side and top panels are thin and have som flex but theyre strong enough for purpose

Mods;
already planned based on other posts I would mod the side panels with some aluminuim strips so they slide in like the ghost also brought some stronger magnets for the top panel and some rubber feet to replace the standard feet, used epoxy 2 part glue to attach all the mods
for the side panels the aluminium strips are 2mm from the bottom of the panel and when slid in these rest on the bottom panel
the feet are 8mm high rubber dome pads, similar to those used on ghost
I had alreaddy seen my GPU would not fit without a mod, I found it would fit, I just had to remove the frame that attaches to the rear panel and cut away metal under the bolt position to clear the GPU, I also used a ddifferent M3 bolt that had less of a skirt

Temps;
no mater what configuration I tried the CPU was a constant.. the L12s is a very good cooler, cpu was at 56degrees on average in gaming, benchmark etc, this is with CPU at stock speeds and XFR on. maximum temps were 64degrees after 30min of benchmarking
GPU however is a different story...
panel on stock- 74degrees 1950rpm fans
panel off stock-65degrees 1400rpm fans
panel on bottom exhaust fan- 74degrees 1900rpm fans
I made a custom panel for the bottom fan with a large cut out to not affect airflow (and so I didnt have to butcher stock panel)
after my findings I decided to just stay with the standard bottom panel and if Im gaming ill remove the GPU panel. also to add with the panel on the fan noise is significantly louder, it definatley chokes the GPU as a 9degree difference in just removing a panel is huge

Overall;
very happy with the case, its great looking at an affordable price

Build Images Here

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
Here are some pics of my Nouvolo Steck Custom Loop with 2x240mm rads. My pics suck so apologies in advance.

Parts list:
  • Black Nouvolo Steck w/ 2x tophats and tempered glass side panels (had to take them off for pics)
  • Asus B450-I Strix
  • Ryzen 7 3700x
  • RTX 2080TI w/ Barrow ARGB Waterblock
  • Corsair SF750 Platinum
  • 2x8gb G Skill Trident Z 3600C15 - shucked heatspreaders
  • Adata SX8200 1TB M.2 NVME
  • Swiftech Apogee Drive II CPU Block & Pump Combo
  • Alphacool x-flow 240mm radiator on top - doubles as reservoir
  • Darkside x-flow 240mm radiator on bottom
  • EK-ZMT tubing with Barrow compression fittings
  • 4x Arctic P12 fans - bottom is pull/intake and top is push/exhaust

The steck is a great case, definitely a really good bang for the buck and the availability and ease of ordering is great. I have a Ghost S1 as well, both cases have their pros and cons, but for this build the Steck was better because of the availability of top hats and tempered glass side panels. Bleeding the loop was a pain in the butt, but I'm happy with the end result.

I definitely have some QC issues with mine though. The bottom tophat doesnt match the rest of the case for some reason, but the biggest complaint is issues with the PCIE riser which fried 2 different 2080ti cards - it actually set both of them on fire and I was luckily able to RMA them both. Basically, the way the case is, if I screw the riser in to the holes, the GPU barely plugs in all the way into the riser. I only noticed it when I bought a new riser to replace the included one that this was happening. I could only secure the new riser using one screw to the case so that the GPU is fully plugged into it.

Another issue is that the radiator brackets, top and bottom panels are extremely restrictive. One pic shows the mod I did to the rad brackets with my dremel which helped alot, there is just too much metal in the way of airflow. I put spacers on the top panel to try and let it breathe more, but no matter having the top panel on increases my temperatures by several degrees. I am going to try getting some ML120 fans since they are slightly higher static pressure, otherwise I might look at modding the top and bottom panels with a dremel so they are more breathable. I need to find out if I can get extra panels from Nouvolo first though in case I screw it up.

Last edited:

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
Did you use t-line? How did you fill the loop? Any drain ports?

I filled the loop using the fill port on the top rad, you can see a pic of it where i modified the radiator bracket to allow access to it. I hooked up a fitting and ran about 2 feet of soft tubing to an external reservoir which was filled up and temporarily mounted above the case and ran it like that for about a day. i intermittently changed the pump speed from fast to slow and tipped the case in different directions, the water level in the reservoir slowly went down as the air came out of the loop. i probably could have done it faster but i took my time. Im considering adding a t-line when I maintain the loop in 6-12 months but I'll see how it runs for the time being.

I need to figure out a way to make mesh top/bottom panels. I have changed out my fans for higher static pressure ML120 fans, but even with the fans at full blast using the top cover automatically increases the loop's water temperature from 35 degrees to 40 degrees at full cpu/gpu load, and I'm even using 1cm spacers for it.

aleck

Caliper Novice
Dec 8, 2019
Man...I just bothered to translate the chinese info on the tracking for my Nouvolo Steck to figure out what is happening.
I ordered on Black Friday back in November and only just yesterday it seems it departed from Beijing :(. Went back to some of the earlier tracking infos and seems to have arrived into Shanghai on Jan 2nd.

That's reeeeally slow, I thought it was shipped in early December.

shadydaverave

Case Bender
Jan 10, 2020
I need to figure out a way to make mesh top/bottom panels. I have changed out my fans for higher static pressure ML120 fans, but even with the fans at full blast using the top cover automatically increases the loop's water temperature from 35 degrees to 40 degrees at full cpu/gpu load, and I'm even using 1cm spacers for it.

I have the Steck as a second pc/travel companion but my main pc is a lian li 011 dynamic with 2 360mm 45mm thick rads and my water in that gets to 41 degrees max.. so if your steck only gets to around 40 degrees max water temp... thats not to bad considering the components

brownelvis

Trash Compacter
Jun 5, 2019
I have the Steck as a second pc/travel companion but my main pc is a lian li 011 dynamic with 2 360mm 45mm thick rads and my water in that gets to 41 degrees max.. so if your steck only gets to around 40 degrees max water temp... thats not to bad considering the components

Youre right, the main reason why it kind of bothers me is because i have my fan curve set up to run based off the water temp, so 35 degrees with the top panel off is considerably quieter than 40 degrees with the top panel on. Maybe i'll try cap the top fan speed and see if i can still sustain the 40 degree water temps without running the fans at 100% to make it more bearable