Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Has anyone tried using a PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT with their Steck builds?
If yes, how did you connect it without sawing off a part of the corner of the GPU shroud to fit? Like one user did on reddit:
Or did you file off the metal corner of the case?

OR should I just go with a PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT ?

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Has anyone tried using a PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT with their Steck builds?
If yes, how did you connect it without sawing off a part of the corner of the GPU shroud to fit? Like one user did on reddit:
Or did you file off the metal corner of the case?

OR should I just go with a PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT ?

I believe that non-red dragon ones can fit? Don't take my word for it tho ?. It will fit unless it doesn't ?

RaldiH

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2019
To be fair from what i've read so far here Nouvolo is doing some great job with deliveries , i mean i know French guys who have ordered a Ghost and took them months to receive their case despite Louqe operating from Sweden which is part of the EU so yeah ......

Last edited:
Reactions: Nouvolo

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Hey guys so I'm at the point where I only need to choose a graphics card and a case and I'm still thinking about a couple of these, the steck was interesting for me until someone on a YouTube review told me it was not recommended at all for air travel (which I might do a lot) because of the magnet panels and the general sturdiness of the case, anyone here to confirm? Otherwise I will probably get the Dan a4. Thanks!

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Hey guys so I'm at the point where I only need to choose a graphics card and a case and I'm still thinking about a couple of these, the steck was interesting for me until someone on a YouTube review told me it was not recommended at all for air travel (which I might do a lot) because of the magnet panels and the general sturdiness of the case, anyone here to confirm? Otherwise I will probably get the Dan a4. Thanks!

The Steck has better CPU cooler clearance for air cooled options than the Dan A4. The magnetic strips are okay, but I would say not ideal for travel. I replaced my 3M strips with 4x NdFeB N52 class magnets of the same thickness that I epoxied on and they are incredibly sturdy now. Alternatively you can drill the corners where the tempered glass panels mount and secure them with screws. Either of those options should be more than robust enough for travel.

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019

I believe that non-red dragon ones can fit? Don't take my word for it tho ?. It will fit unless it doesn't ?

Yep that is what I was going for, it will fit no doubt. Same dimensions as the blower type (except the length) but with two fans instead of one. It would be loads better at cooling and noise compared to the blower type card, but that red dragon has larger fans and heatsink.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yep that is what I was going for, it will fit no doubt. Same dimensions as the blower type (except the length) but with two fans instead of one. It would be loads better at cooling and noise compared to the blower type card, but that red dragon has larger fans and heatsink.
Yeah, unfortunately gigabyte only made one model of their windforce series for the 5700 xt cards. Usually they have a couple ( primarily with Nvidia) and some are 2(~40mm) slot and some are 2.5 (~50mm) slot. If they would have done the 2 slot it would have been perfect. Usually the 2 slot are reference height and thickness, but ~280mm long instead of the reference ~270mm spec. :( I guess they just didn't know what kind of value(and demand) AMD was going to bring to the table.

The same kind of thing happened with early ryzen. The motherboards were generally made cheaper in the first 2 generations of ryzen motherboards (b320,b350,x370,b450,x470) then the Intel comparable boards.... Again, just because manufacturers didn't know the value(and demand) AMD was going to bring to the table.

Perhaps for the next generation things will change, but we can only hope and wait. :D

Rant over. Lol

Best of luck with your search for the best 2 slot 5700xt you can get! :D

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
Ugh.. Do 3d printing companies have their own 3d scanning machines? I don't want to damage the original shroud (if I'm going for a Red Dragon) and would just like to 3d print a custom shroud and transfer the fans there.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Same 5700XT for red or non-red, dunno how much faster the red dragon is but if you don't want the hassle to mod the shroud then I would suggest go for non-red. Just plug and "play". I doubt red dragon is that much faster than the standard version...

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
To be fair from what i've read so far here Nouvolo is doing some great job with deliveries , i mean i know French guys who ordered a Ghost and took them months to receive their case despite Louqe operating from Sweden which is part of the EU so yeah ......
We ended up spending as much if not more time and resources in sorting out logistics, comparing to that on the creation of the case itself... Although we were lucky to find a good shipping agent, it still needed so much attention.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Ugh.. Do 3d printing companies have their own 3d scanning machines? I don't want to damage the original shroud (if I'm going for a Red Dragon) and would just like to 3d print a custom shroud and transfer the fans there.
If you want you can remove the shroud, and zip tie 2 92mm thin fans to it the use a y splitter and a 4 pin vga fan adapter. And you'll be set! :) It's a littler more expensive, but it'll likely be quieter and run just as smooth! :D but the aesthetics won't look as nice, if that's what you're thinking.

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
If you want you can remove the shroud, and zip tie 2 92mm thin fans to it the use a y splitter and a 4 pin vga fan adapter. And you'll be set! :) It's a littler more expensive, but it'll likely be quieter and run just as smooth! :D but the aesthetics won't look as nice, if that's what you're thinking.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Noctua 92mm slim fans would be great. But I think I would just dremel out about 2mm like this person I found on reddit:

The Powercolor Radeon 5700XT WOULD fit, but if I am to spend $399~$410 on a GPU, I'd like to have the one with better cooling and lower noise.

I'd be modding the case anyway (raising the PSU, drilling holes in the bottom plate) so filing off 2mm from that corner spot won't be an issue.

Thanks all!

Reactions: Nouvolo

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@chyll2 and @Xaeons It will still be tight.

Total depth/height (with hoses is 63mm) so the PSU itself (PSU without cables) cannot be below 63mm. Which should be fine since your PSU is about 70mm up. The fan(14mm) and radiator(35mm) and a fan grill (which adds ~2-3mm in height) will be ~52mm.

This might help too. :)
In this imgur post, It looks like his PSU is about 72-73mm up from the bottom, so it might even be a little tighter, but he was also using stock cables (where you are using custom cables so there might be some varrying measurements).

Reactions: chyll2

Xaeons

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2019
@Poblopuablo Yeah I've been messaging him about how he adjusted his PSU bracket, resulting in me doing the same.

Honestly, the only reason I adjusted the PSU bracket was because my custom length 24pin cable (120mm) is extended so tightly I was afraid I would pull a cable from its pin. Stupid of me to actually have it made 120mm instead of using it as reference and measuring my own cable lengths. Lesson learned.

At least I won't have to reorder the cables again and save money.

And now I'm thinking of getting an Asetek 645LT. Just doing my research and asking some people on reddit before I pull the trigger.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Anyone here have a steck, vlp ram, l12s and some time to test an idea? I'm wondering if performance on the l12s would be improved by a bottom mounted 120mm 25mm thick fan, and if so is it practical or even enough to make it a reasonable thing to consider..... I know that a lot of motherboards my not be able to do this because of tall components on the motherboard, but it's a thought that recently crossed my mind and it seems very interesting!!! Since vlp ram is ~19mm tall and standard ram is close to 30-32mm tall, ram clearence wouldn't be an issue. ?????? I could see this as a new king of air cooling in this case... Granted it fit, and performed well. I know vlp ram isn't too expensive (~23$ for a 8gb stick of adata ram off of AliExpress) but i don't have a l12s. :( so it would be a lot of $ to get, just to test an idea.

sami hx

Caliper Novice
Nov 8, 2019
Hey guys, at first big big probs to @Nouvolo for the great support via mail.

Love my case.

But a question, have any of you guys ran into this issue with the power cables for the gpu ?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017