Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

rod

Caliper Novice
Oct 29, 2020
I finally found time to move my 4+ to 4+v2. The panel looks very similar to my previous, but this time it has no defects!

Something that surprised me while assembling was the amount of screws I got in my assembling kit, and something I would have greatly appreciated is some sort of pdf that could have pointed out what screws go where. Nevertheless, it's all assembled and running now.

On the quality side, it feels better (v2 baby!), and the rubber feet are a nice touch. Now I only need to find the will to throw in some led strips :D

specs:
msi b450i gaming ac
evga 3060ti xc
z39 with noctua fan (exhaust, I own a dog and otherwise there might end up some hair in the case)
crucial ballistix 3200 ddr4
overtek's 7660b

Reactions: Valantar

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
I finally found time to move my 4+ to 4+v2. The panel looks very similar to my previous, but this time it has no defects!

Something that surprised me while assembling was the amount of screws I got in my assembling kit, and something I would have greatly appreciated is some sort of pdf that could have pointed out what screws go where. Nevertheless, it's all assembled and running now.

On the quality side, it feels better (v2 baby!), and the rubber feet are a nice touch. Now I only need to find the will to throw in some led strips :D

specs:
msi b450i gaming ac
evga 3060ti xc
z39 with noctua fan (exhaust, I own a dog and otherwise there might end up some hair in the case)
crucial ballistix 3200 ddr4
overtek's 7660b
How are cpu temps using exhaust?

Reactions: Densium.net

RedSawn

Caliper Novice
Feb 18, 2022
AM5 is looking hot... literally x) The benchmarks with eco mode on look insane, just a question of how much of that is still possible with the smallest air coolers you can get...

The Z39 is there, the L9A now has the AM5 compatible brackets available, I think the Thermalright AXP90-X36 would work? It's capable of using the original AMD backplate and it's said that won't change. Saw Gucks used it in his Densium v1 stream but we never got to see that build working I don't think, so my current concern I guess is unanswered. Having both the bulky AMD CPU backplate and the backplate of a card like the MSI Aero 3060ti should be fine, yeah?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
AM5 is looking hot... literally x) The benchmarks with eco mode on look insane, just a question of how much of that is still possible with the smallest air coolers you can get...

The Z39 is there, the L9A now has the AM5 compatible brackets available, I think the Thermalright AXP90-X36 would work? It's capable of using the original AMD backplate and it's said that won't change. Saw Gucks used it in his Densium v1 stream but we never got to see that build working I don't think, so my current concern I guess is unanswered. Having both the bulky AMD CPU backplate and the backplate of a card like the MSI Aero 3060ti should be fine, yeah?
The AMD CPU backplate isn't bulky - it protrudes a few mm from the PCB, not noticeably different from AM4 backplates or Intel coolers with backplates (these often protrude a lot more as they're often designed to fit several platforms and don't sit flush with the board). It shouldn't protrude any more than any large rear mounted SMDs on the motherboard.

If your board has rear m.2, those will protrude much more than the bsckplate. Any cooler that can use the stock AM4 backplate should work with AM5, as the spacing, threading and Z-height are the same. And none of this should interfere any more with a GPU backplate than any other cooler mount or backplate. The only thing that would protrude less than this would be a cooler using very low profile screw heads on the back of the board. The standard Noctua L9i mounting screws, for example, will protrude a lot more than this backplate.

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019

From 18.50 he talks about eco mode.

RedSawn

Caliper Novice
Feb 18, 2022
The AMD CPU backplate isn't bulky - it protrudes a few mm from the PCB, not noticeably different from AM4 backplates or Intel coolers with backplates (these often protrude a lot more as they're often designed to fit several platforms and don't sit flush with the board). It shouldn't protrude any more than any large rear mounted SMDs on the motherboard.
If your board has rear m.2, those will protrude much more than the bsckplate. Any cooler that can use the stock AM4 backplate should work with AM5, as the spacing, threading and Z-height are the same. And none of this should interfere any more with a GPU backplate than any other cooler mount or backplate. The only thing that would protrude less than this would be a cooler using very low profile screw heads on the back of the board. The standard Noctua L9i mounting screws, for example, will protrude a lot more than this backplate.

Alright, awesome. I just remembered in the changelogs for the Densium v2 there were mentions of previous unspecified backplate issues (though on the GPU side to be fair), just didn't wanna jump into anything and find it wasn't going to work

From 18.50 he talks about eco mode.

Yeah, there's a few scraps out this minute about eco mode. That's actually the first one I've seen with a gaming comparison of any sort. But I don't think anyone's done anything with ITX coolers with or without eco mode

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
Alright, awesome. I just remembered in the changelogs for the Densium v2 there were mentions of previous unspecified backplate issues (though on the GPU side to be fair), just didn't wanna jump into anything and find it wasn't going to work

Yeah, there's a few scraps out this minute about eco mode. That's actually the first one I've seen with a gaming comparison of any sort. But I don't think anyone's done anything with ITX coolers with or without eco mode
I'm wanting to see a video more detailed too. If you come across one please post here. I'll do the same.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Was about to post that myself. Gentlemen, it might just be possible.
Back when I had a 11400f I set the power-limit to 90W. Reached equillibrium at 90C with my Z39, so it is most definetly possible :))

Also, don't forget about Gentlewomen :p

Reactions: rfarmer

cubehkr

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 1, 2022
Finally got my 4+ put together and working. I also had the issue with the USB power overdraw issue, and no amount of changing washers and even putting electrical tape over the open traces could correct it. In the end, I had to leave the front USB C disconnected from the motherboard which is a shame. I hope we can figure out what the underlying issue was.

Overall I love the unit. The build quality is solid, and the assembly was a lot easier and straightforward than anticipated. The youtube video of assembly was very helpful, but it might be useful to include to annotations to the video of what screw was used at different points of the assembly, as it can be difficult to tell what was being used at some points.

I ended up going for an intel build instead of waiting for zen4 because of the current high cost of the platform.

Intel 12600 (non K variant)
ASUS B660
32gb DDR6 5600
Evga 3060ti
Noctua l9i 17xx edition

The video card runs surprisingly cool and quiet, especially when undervolted. Under heavy gaming it rarely breaks 60c. The cpu runs a little hotter, peaking between 77-81c during heavy gaming but I also have the fans turned down to fairly low speed.

If you pay close attention, I also bought aftermarket speaker standoffs from amazon for the feet. Since the bottom of the case is perforated too, i wanted to try to lift the case as much as possible to get some convection heat rise. Overall I think they turned out really well and hold sturdy.

My biggest disappointment has to probably be the PSU. I opted for the noctua fan edition of the ENP-7660b direct from densium. I'm not sure if I got a dud, but its louder than I was expecting. During first boot, its actually pretty much silent. But after 10-20 minutes at idle, the fan seems to ramp up until there is a audible noise with some complex harmonics to it. Its not LOUD, but its louder than the CPU fan at idle and even possibly at load. The CPU fan has a very gentle "woosh" sound of air flowing, where as the PSU sounds more noticeable. I can hear it at night in a quiet room, where my other system with an SFX PSU, I cannot.

Reactions: rfarmer

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Finally got my 4+ put together and working. I also had the issue with the USB power overdraw issue, and no amount of changing washers and even putting electrical tape over the open traces could correct it. In the end, I had to leave the front USB C disconnected from the motherboard which is a shame. I hope we can figure out what the underlying issue was.
Nice!

I have replacement powercables in stock now, I'll send you a discount code for them so you can have it for free :)

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
I finally received my Densium 4+ a week ago, the local postal service held it for a week before releasing it. Assembly took about 1 1/2 hours as this was my 2nd Densium 4 plus. Everything went smoothly with the build as Audun has designed the case so well. Like my last build when using the EVGA GEFORCE 3060 CPU the front cooling fan rubbed on the side panel. If you look at the photo you can see my remedy. I work in a BMW auto parts department so I bought those 2 little rubber bump stops used in windshield installation, problem solved for $1.50. I have also run into the problem of the front USB C port being non functional so will contact Audun for a replacement.

Build components:
Gigabyte Aorus X570 SI PRO AX
AMD Ryzen 7 5700x
EVGA GEFORCE 3060 12GB DDR6
32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
2 Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M2 SSD's
1 Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB SATA 2.5"
Overtek LTD custom modded Enhance-7660B power supply with noctua black fans {note make sure you order the shortened wiring and eliminate the
unneeded cables}
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 Chromax Black

RedSawn

Caliper Novice
Feb 18, 2022
The first video I've seen of a 'weak' cooler being used on a 7000 series, in this case the 7600X. I've seen a temp comparison on 1000 series CPUs where the Spire is a few degrees cooler then the L9a. Performance is decent actually if you don't mind the 95C business.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
My biggest disappointment has to probably be the PSU. I opted for the noctua fan edition of the ENP-7660b direct from densium. I'm not sure if I got a dud, but its louder than I was expecting. During first boot, its actually pretty much silent. But after 10-20 minutes at idle, the fan seems to ramp up until there is a audible noise with some complex harmonics to it. Its not LOUD, but its louder than the CPU fan at idle and even possibly at load. The CPU fan has a very gentle "woosh" sound of air flowing, where as the PSU sounds more noticeable. I can hear it at night in a quiet room, where my other system with an SFX PSU, I cannot.
A suggestion: make sure the fan is pushing air INTO the PSU and not exhausting. It guarantees fresh air and should help with the slow ramp-up as it heats up.

I rotated my fan (on a different case) and it helped.