Stalled [Pictures of Prototype] Densium APU, 3L, HDPLEX 250, 47mm cooler, Hardwood frontpanel

Wiseblood

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 29, 2018
I just got it delivered! It looks great and I'm excited to move my current build into it. Are there any instructions available? I'm not entirely sure how to put all of this together.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
I just got it delivered! It looks great and I'm excited to move my current build into it. Are there any instructions available? I'm not entirely sure how to put all of this together.
No instructions as yet. It is something that needs sorting for both cases really.

Have an intention to make an install vid, but do not think I will get to it till the new year. Have a 5700G system with 200W PSU I want to migrate into it.

Will have a proper look Thursday and sort some basic install bones/guide.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
just want to chime in that I've received the order as well, haven't got time to open it up but extremely grateful to be able to share this update here and now. once again, massive thanks to @Overtek for everything. it's simply above and beyond what one should or would expect from you!
Your welcome,

Did note on a little uk stock that came in yesterday that the black cases all had silver screws fitted, but there are some black screws in the accessory box, a touch longer than is necessary, but will do the job.
Also noted there's no 2mm Allen/hex key in with them. Which we sorted on the D4 Plus but not had the opportunity to do that on APU, because, as is known, these were produced and finished already in the first half of this year that's drawing to a close.

Arnorec

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 29, 2023
Be careful with magnets. I broke one when dividing them. @Overtek, can you give me params of those magnets? I want to order the replacement.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Be careful with magnets. I broke one when dividing them. @Overtek, can you give me params of those magnets? I want to order the replacement.
Will see if I can get the accessory list for them.

Need it, as I have to check a couple of bits as well

From earlier today

For motherboard install: (With Outer aluminum semi clamshell and panel removed.)
From the accessory box, select the following.
1. 4 Longest screws
2. 4 Hex nuts
3. 4 Washers
4. 4 large aluminium thumb screws / feet looking things.

Place the long screws so they go from the underside to appear on the side where the motherboard will sit.
Place a washer on the motherboard side and thread a hex nut (stand off) on top, screw on till it's tight. You should be looking for 4 vertical threads in the position that aligns with your motherboard with the I/O cut out
With Flex ATX PSU this is the highest position holes.

Carefully place the motherboard so threads go through each mounting hole. Now use the thumbscrews to secure the motherboard in place. You may encounter an issue with some holes with the supplied aluminium thumb screws depending on how close different board manufacturers have placed components. We found with an Asus X570 3 were fine. 1 hole had a fan header next to it although with a bit of a push this did ultimately fit.

Take the metal bar that was attached to the accessory pack. Use 2 of the rectangular nuts on the under side and 2 counter sunk hex screws to fit as pictured. This gives greater rigidity and strength for the internal structure and ultimately as a whole.

Front panel, as you can see fit the 6 magnets with counter sunk screws as pictured, don't over tighten these screws. The counter sunk screws mean a little depth into the hole for a good tight alignment. We've just been reviewing this as that was our approach on an early unit a long time ago. Possibly there is a minor kitting error. We would suggest to use the 4 hex screws that are flat headed (in a bag of 4), These have a fairly deep flat head, along with 2 silver counter sunk hex screws. I'm going to review this with the manufacturer in case it was a kitting error or was the designer's slight oversight/miscalculation, as ideally I think it would be better with 6 of the flat headed hex screws where there are just 4.

Fit the power switch and put the USB connector in place.
There are no screw holes for the USB connector, this is sandwiched in place and the magnetic retention load is far greater than the force loaded needed to remove a USB connector. (Insert loads being taken by the structure behind).
We can't recall whether this was engineered-in late in the design or was intentional due to the space available.

dovestyle

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 12, 2023
Mine just arrived today and I immediately started building in it. Everything was going pretty smoothly thanks to these photos & instructions, but now I'm unsure how to mount the HDPlex 250w PSU. None of the PSU screw holes align with anything on the case, and the backplate that came with it is too long for the case. So I don't know what to do about this yet. Hoping someone here might have gone through the same thing? I'll update here if I figure anything out.

A big thanks to @Overtek for getting this over to me! The case really is quite sleek. It's going to look great.

beigeforest

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 16, 2023
@dovestyle There is a Reddit post under r/sffpc the poster got lucky to acquire early batch of Densium APU. The images there showed various installation angles including how to mount the HDPlex 250W PSU. I am not going to link here but you can search for the following key words.

4L Densium APU, Ryzen 9 7950X email machine

Happy building!

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
@dovestyle There is a Reddit post under r/sffpc the poster got lucky to acquire early batch of Densium APU. The images there showed various installation angles including how to mount the HDPlex 250W PSU. I am not going to link here but you can search for the following key words.

4L Densium APU, Ryzen 9 7950X email machine

Happy building!
That would be from one of the 10pcs we got in May before the designer dropped off the radar (9 being sold 1 retained)

Puffy23

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 26, 2023
@Overtek

I recently purchased the Densium APU case and have had a bit of trouble with the front panel. In your previous post you mentioned:

Front panel, as you can see fit the 6 magnets with counter sunk screws as pictured, don't over tighten these screws. The counter sunk screws mean a little depth into the hole for a good tight alignment. We've just been reviewing this as that was our approach on an early unit a long time ago. Possibly there is a minor kitting error. We would suggest to use the 4 hex screws that are flat headed (in a bag of 4), These have a fairly deep flat head, along with 2 silver counter sunk hex screws. I'm going to review this with the manufacturer in case it was a kitting error or was the designer's slight oversight/miscalculation, as ideally I think it would be better with 6 of the flat headed hex screws where there are just 4.

I tried to use the counter sunk screws but the head diameter is ever so slightly too large to recess into the receiving eye. Any chance you have the specication for the 4 hex screws with the flat heads? I have a pair of calipers laying about somewhere, but haven't had luck finding them to take measurements. Anyway, the hex screws work brilliantly so I'd be happy to buy 2 from Accu or somewhere similar.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
@Overtek

I recently purchased the Densium APU case and have had a bit of trouble with the front panel. In your previous post you mentioned:

I tried to use the counter sunk screws but the head diameter is ever so slightly too large to recess into the receiving eye. Any chance you have the specication for the 4 hex screws with the flat heads? I have a pair of calipers laying about somewhere, but haven't had luck finding them to take measurements. Anyway, the hex screws work brilliantly so I'd be happy to buy 2 from Accu or somewhere similar.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!
I'd say probably just use a coupe of counter sunk hex silver screws with the flat head ones. Think it would be better if there were 6 of those for that purpose alone rather than 4. But the kitting list that I got hold of the other day just has 4 down.

They are M3 x 6mm Socket head screws

jcsato

Cable Smoosher
Jun 20, 2023
Mine just arrived today and I immediately started building in it. Everything was going pretty smoothly thanks to these photos & instructions, but now I'm unsure how to mount the HDPlex 250w PSU. None of the PSU screw holes align with anything on the case, and the backplate that came with it is too long for the case. So I don't know what to do about this yet. Hoping someone here might have gone through the same thing? I'll update here if I figure anything out.

A big thanks to @Overtek for getting this over to me! The case really is quite sleek. It's going to look great.
Got back home and started transferring over my Stratos X build to the Densium today and I'm running into the exact same thing. I did find that reddit post @beigeforest mentioned (not sure why it wasn't just linked before but here: ) - however, while the picture of PSU mounting there does show a two-screw mount that should theoretically work, it uses screws + washers that aren't included with either the APU or my HDPlex unit, as far as I can tell. Very mysterious.

I assume I'm missing something or that I can acquire the correct screws from somewhere, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. Putting the build down for the night, can't make much more progress here.

Aside from that, ran into an issue where one of the motherboard standoffs (hex nuts) wasn't fully threaded and couldn't screw in. Was able to scavenge a standoff from the Stratos. Also, the top left motherboard screw (looking straight on at the board, PCIe slot at the bottom) doesn't fit. The nurled part of the thumb screw interferes with the EPS connector's locking latch on my board. The other three fit without any issues so it. . .probably fine, though.

Board is an ASRock h670m-itx (same exact board design as the z690m-itx, and from pics on ASRock's site I suspect you'd run into the same thing on all of their Intel m-itx boards). I imagine most APU builds will be on AMD boards so this might just be relevant to me, but figured I'd mention.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Looking at the Reddit pics it looks like the hd Plex should be rotated 180°??

With 2 M2.5 holes used at the rear I/O end (there are 3 in total) and one M3 tab hole used at the other so it's not mounted in the slots like the Reddit post.

Hmm just thinking more about it. Perhaps the actual plate needs to be rotated 180. I would suggest unscrewing the mounting plate from the chassis, 4 screws. Then look to mount that on the PSU first. Then see which way it fits best.

I don't have a hdplex PSU to check with

jcsato

Cable Smoosher
Jun 20, 2023
Hrmm. The HDPlex mounts are symmetrical, don't think I can do anything just by rotating (I did take the plate off but it didn't reveal any new options to me). That said, I took at look at the HDPlex page and it helpfully lists the threading for the holes: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-250w-gan-aio-atx-psu.html (scroll down a ways)

The two holes that align with the side rail and are used in the reddit post are m2.5, so I'm gonna try to acquire some screws with that threading and see how it goes. I suspect when Audun was adding HDPlex support, he was doing so with the Flex mounting adapter for the 250 GaN unit in mind. That adapter isn't included and isn't sold separately on HDPlex's site, so I'm not sure how to get it. Maybe an email to Larry.

Will report back with any progress.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Hrmm. The HDPlex mounts are symmetrical, don't think I can do anything just by rotating (I did take the plate off but it didn't reveal any new options to me). That said, I took at look at the HDPlex page and it helpfully lists the threading for the holes: https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-250w-gan-aio-atx-psu.html (scroll down a ways)

The two holes that align with the side rail and are used in the reddit post are m2.5, so I'm gonna try to acquire some screws with that threading and see how it goes. I suspect when Audun was adding HDPlex support, he was doing so with the Flex mounting adapter for the 250 GaN unit in mind. That adapter isn't included and isn't sold separately on HDPlex's site, so I'm not sure how to get it. Maybe an email to Larry.

Will report back with any progress.
Does it align as below or not? 1-2 hole gaps tie up to the width and the length between them and 3, although the drawing doesn't easily provide dimensions, looks close.
The orientation of the 33.3mm wide holes on the bracket look like they maybe best at the front panel end as there will be more depth on that end. Hopefully the end where the screw holes 1-2 appear closest to the end of PSU is the connector end and not the mains inlet.

jcsato

Cable Smoosher
Jun 20, 2023
Sorry for the late response, been a busy couple days. Just finished my build, will try upload pictures once I get an imgur account or something set up. (Caveat emptor, it's a transfer from a Stratos X and I'm busy with other things so I haven't plugged it in and gotten it to post yet - but the same parts in another case worked fine.)

Re: alignment, unfortunately no. I got some 5mm m2.5 screws off the 'zon and mounted to the side rail, as pictured in the reddit post above. That worked out ok. (I put a small piece of cardboard between the bracket and the PSU to prevent the bracket from bowing when tightened.)

The one other callout I'll make for HDPlex builders is that the IEC 60320 C5 plug that comes with the HDPlex is smaller than the cutouts in the case's plate insert, so you'll need to use the (ime) more standard IEC-320-C13 plug. I only call this out because it was the opposite on the Stratos X. In order to screw the plug in, you'll need longer m3 screws than the Densium accessory kit comes with - I had a couple of spare 8mm ones from my LZX-8 build that were just long enough, 10mm would be more comfortable.

So in summary, for building with the HDPlex, I needed:
  • Two additional m2.5 screws (minimum 5mm long, could probably comfortably go to 8mm or 10mm) for mounting the PSU to the bracket
  • Two additional m3 screws (minimum 8mm long) for getting the plug into the case.

It looks pretty darn sharp. Kinda surreal to have it sitting on my desk finally.

Puffy23

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 26, 2023
Sorry for the late response, been a busy couple days. Just finished my build, will try upload pictures once I get an imgur account or something set up. (Caveat emptor, it's a transfer from a Stratos X and I'm busy with other things so I haven't plugged it in and gotten it to post yet - but the same parts in another case worked fine.)

Re: alignment, unfortunately no. I got some 5mm m2.5 screws off the 'zon and mounted to the side rail, as pictured in the reddit post above. That worked out ok. (I put a small piece of cardboard between the bracket and the PSU to prevent the bracket from bowing when tightened.)

The one other callout I'll make for HDPlex builders is that the IEC 60320 C5 plug that comes with the HDPlex is smaller than the cutouts in the case's plate insert, so you'll need to use the (ime) more standard IEC-320-C13 plug. I only call this out because it was the opposite on the Stratos X. In order to screw the plug in, you'll need longer m3 screws than the Densium accessory kit comes with - I had a couple of spare 8mm ones from my LZX-8 build that were just long enough, 10mm would be more comfortable.

So in summary, for building with the HDPlex, I needed:
  • Two additional m2.5 screws (minimum 5mm long, could probably comfortably go to 8mm or 10mm) for mounting the PSU to the bracket
  • Two additional m3 screws (minimum 8mm long) for getting the plug into the case.

It looks pretty darn sharp. Kinda surreal to have it sitting on my desk finally.
I just wanted to pop in to say be careful with the length of screws you choose for mounting the HDPlex.

I had the HDPlex side mounted in an HT5 (which has approximately 5mm thick side plate) using m2.5x10 screws. The screws made contact with the back of the HDPlex PCB and caused a short killing the PSU. I did that twice before I figured out what was happening.

After speak to Larry he strongly recommended not bedding the screws more than 2-3mm. I haven't put my calipers to the Densium mounting plate yet, but just eyeballing it says nothing more than m2.5x5 should be used.

Don't be like me, don't have £270 of dead PSUs sitting next to you.