Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
August 2nd (2022)

Hello everyone. I haven't checked the comments here in a little while, my apoliogies.

I'm actually here to share some good news :)

The cases were supposed to ship by the end of August, but we're way ahead of schedule. All the cases are now being assembled, and will be packaged this week. This means they might reach the fulfillment-center by the end of the week, or early the week after. My warehouse staff have quite many orders to fulfill, so I ask you to please be patient with fulfillment times, we'll get them out the door as quickly as possible.

Take care,
Audun

audaceus

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 4, 2022
I took a ruler and measured the Densium 4+ v1 length without the front panel, and it measures at exactly 222mm, which is the exact size for the Zotac 3060 ti twin edge. Which incidentally is the cheapest mini itx 3060 ti in my area. So if any shaving will be done, it can be done either to the corner of the gpu, or to the inside facing part of the wooden front panel. I'd say go for shaving the front panel, it's only the sharp edge of the corner of the gpu that may protrude. Best make sure that wood and a metal plate don't touch eh. Will post updates if I get the zotac, if the asus mini doesn't get any cheaper soon.

Gucky

Caliper Novice
May 15, 2022
I took a ruler and measured the Densium 4+ v1 length without the front panel, and it measures at exactly 222mm, which is the exact size for the Zotac 3060 ti twin edge. Which incidentally is the cheapest mini itx 3060 ti in my area. So if any shaving will be done, it can be done either to the corner of the gpu, or to the inside facing part of the wooden front panel. I'd say go for shaving the front panel, it's only the sharp edge of the corner of the gpu that may protrude. Best make sure that wood and a metal plate don't touch eh. Will post updates if I get the zotac, if the asus mini doesn't get any cheaper soon.
My GPU i have installed is NOT flush with the back, there is a 1-2 mm gap. It comes down to the PCI-E Riser position.
And the 222.1mm of the Zotac is measured without the slotbracket, i think.
The Fan-Shroud is plastic. And according to Zotac the backplate is made from metal..maybe trying to bend it first helps, it is the first part that sticks out. :p
OR you can simply remove the Backplate, since it doesn't affect the Thermals.

Reactions: scatterforce

Hazzerboraco

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2022
Just want to confirm - the Densium web page lists the graphics card compatibilty of the 4 as 175mm, but I'm sure I've read 180mm elsewhere as that is the number stuck in my head... Which figure is correct?

Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Just want to confirm - the Densium web page lists the graphics card compatibilty of the 4 as 175mm, but I'm sure I've read 180mm elsewhere as that is the number stuck in my head... Which figure is correct?
Previously (the V1) it was 180 exactly, but the new frontpanel-bracket extends 6mm into to the "GPU Space." The case was also extended 3mm in this direction, so it's slightly longer than 175.

If you absolutely need a 180mm GPU, the bracket will not interfere with the GPU PCB, so you'd be able to mod the shroud for it to fit inside the case.

Hazzerboraco

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2022
Previously (the V1) it was 180 exactly, but the new frontpanel-bracket extends 6mm into to the "GPU Space." The case was also extended 3mm in this direction, so it's slightly longer than 175.

If you absolutely need a 180mm GPU, the bracket will not interfere with the GPU PCB, so you'd be able to mod the shroud for it to fit inside the case.

Thanks for the reply. This pretty much limits compatibility to the MSI AERO cards for current gen parts then, and other competition like the Asrock Challenger ITX cards won't fit without getting out my angle grinder.

Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Thanks for the reply. This pretty much limits compatibility to the MSI AERO cards for current gen parts then, and other competition like the Asrock Challenger ITX cards won't fit without getting out my angle grinder.
Small mistake, but yeah I'm aware of it. Deshrouding it might do the trick too, since the actual space is roughly 177mm.

Reactions: Hazzerboraco

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
It's a shame i'm already more than satisfied with the Densium 4+ V1. This assembly video really makes me want to upgrade, but I can't quite justify that cost currently. Edit: just to clarify: I think the price is good, excellent even for the quality case you'll recieve. I just don't have the cash waiting around atm.

Very well done Audun. Video is a nice step by step introduction and pretty damn clear on what goes where and when. Only suggestions I would have for novices is to just show the particular screw to the camera, so they don't mix up screws for motherboard and riser mount with screws for spine and side/frontpanels and the screws for the powersupply. Also small typo at 3:20 'side-apnels'.

I want to again express my respect and admiration for your case designs, open communication and the quality brand you are building up.

Last edited:

Tossi2020

Efficiency Noob
May 27, 2022
Anyone tried adding 2x Noctua 92mm slimfans on top of the D4 v1 externally? Would this improve any temps? I plan to mount them either by magnets or doublesided tape, will share results + pics shortly!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Anyone tried adding 2x Noctua 92mm slimfans on top of the D4 v1 externally? Would this improve any temps? I plan to mount them either by magnets or doublesided tape, will share results + pics shortly!
I did some thermal testing just now as I received the magnets to mount my two internal NF-A4x20s, and I also have a spare NF-9x14 (not two though). See the imgur album below.

The system:
Intel Core i5-4560S with Noctua NH-L9i, Sapphire Radeon RX 570 ITX, custom 12V PSU. The PSU has an NF-A4x20 as an exhaust at the lower back of the case, shown as "Chassis 1" in HWinfo.

The configurations:
Everything stock
CPU stock, GPU +50% power limit
Fans set to various system curves; keep an eye on both CPU and GPU clocks and temperatures and fan speeds. This is not a variable-controlled test.

The tests: Combined Prime95 Small FFTs + FurMark. Yes, this is wildly unrealistic, worst-case-scenario testing. The GPU sticks to its power limit though, so it's realistic in its way.

The setups:
Base: Just the cooler + PSU fans.
My future setup: base + 2x NF-A4x20 mounted to the inside top front of the case with magnets, oriented as exhaust (pulling air upwards) (GPU side is a tight squeeze, but it fits).
The 92mm: Base + 1x NF-A9x14 mounted externally, oriented as an exhaust (pulling air upwards), powered from a 12V USB-C adapter to not have to remove any side panels.

Results:

Result notes: The NF-A9x14 is the coolest of the three setups, but also the noisiest by far. The issue is turbulence against the side panel, as the noise disappears almost entirely if the fan is lifted just a few mm from the panel. See the video at the end of the gallery for a noise demonstratio (sorry for the garbage video quality, it's dark here - but it's the audio that matters). I could also feel a dramatic increase in airflow as the fan was lifted. Most of this likely came in from around the sides, but this should still improve airflow around and through the case, and a spaced-out frame/bracket could focus airflow more.

The last image in the gallery shows the thermal results of a hacked-together noise dampening solution: propping up the fan on a pair of chopsticks. This drastically improved noise, even if the A9x14 at high speed is still the noisiest part of the system.

The N4x20s are inaudible over the GPU fan even at 5000rpm, which I find very surprising. There is also a very significant amount of heat exhausted by these fans, as you can see they manage to cool the GPU.

Solutions ranked after my tastes:
#1: Dual internal NF-A4x20s. The best combination of simplicity, noise, size and performance.
#2: External NF-A9x14 with some sort of spaced out mounting. Maybe a 3D printed bracket? It would increase the volume of the case and look iffy, but work.
#3: No extra fans. Works okay at these power levels.
#4: External NF-A9x14 with no spacing. It's just too loud.

Tossi2020

Efficiency Noob
May 27, 2022
I did some thermal testing just now as I received the magnets to mount my two internal NF-A4x20s, and I also have a spare NF-9x14 (not two though). See the imgur album below.

The system:
Intel Core i5-4560S with Noctua NH-L9i, Sapphire Radeon RX 570 ITX, custom 12V PSU. The PSU has an NF-A4x20 as an exhaust at the lower back of the case, shown as "Chassis 1" in HWinfo.

The configurations:
Everything stock
CPU stock, GPU +50% power limit
Fans set to various system curves; keep an eye on both CPU and GPU clocks and temperatures and fan speeds. This is not a variable-controlled test.

The tests: Combined Prime95 Small FFTs + FurMark. Yes, this is wildly unrealistic, worst-case-scenario testing. The GPU sticks to its power limit though, so it's realistic in its way.

The setups:
Base: Just the cooler + PSU fans.
My future setup: base + 2x NF-A4x20 mounted to the inside top front of the case with magnets, oriented as exhaust (pulling air upwards) (GPU side is a tight squeeze, but it fits).
The 92mm: Base + 1x NF-A9x14 mounted externally, oriented as an exhaust (pulling air upwards), powered from a 12V USB-C adapter to not have to remove any side panels.

Results:

Result notes: The NF-A9x14 is the coolest of the three setups, but also the noisiest by far. The issue is turbulence against the side panel, as the noise disappears almost entirely if the fan is lifted just a few mm from the panel. See the video at the end of the gallery for a noise demonstratio (sorry for the garbage video quality, it's dark here - but it's the audio that matters). I could also feel a dramatic increase in airflow as the fan was lifted. Most of this likely came in from around the sides, but this should still improve airflow around and through the case, and a spaced-out frame/bracket could focus airflow more.

The last image in the gallery shows the thermal results of a hacked-together noise dampening solution: propping up the fan on a pair of chopsticks. This drastically improved noise, even if the A9x14 at high speed is still the noisiest part of the system.

The N4x20s are inaudible over the GPU fan even at 5000rpm, which I find very surprising. There is also a very significant amount of heat exhausted by these fans, as you can see they manage to cool the GPU.

Solutions ranked after my tastes:
#1: Dual internal NF-A4x20s. The best combination of simplicity, noise, size and performance.
#2: External NF-A9x14 with some sort of spaced out mounting. Maybe a 3D printed bracket? It would increase the volume of the case and look iffy, but work.
#3: No extra fans. Works okay at these power levels.
#4: External NF-A9x14 with no spacing. It's just too loud.
Nice findings! Results looks to be well beyond margin of error, my results does not have the same methodology heh.

I did also look into the usb c adapter but was not easily available, ultimately connected to MB headers.

Here is pictures with side fan 120mm intake & 2x 92mm top exhaust:
The z37 cooler does have a 92mm noctua as well so in total 4 noctuas. I feel like the CPU maxtemp is the same but takes longer to get there, max 80C. Typical game temp 70-75C. GPU temp is definately ~3C cooler on average. Motherboard temp rarely exceeds 38C & SSDs are very chill in the 40-55C range. I bet added top fans will keep dust out better, time will tell.

CB23 multicore ~10600, single core ~1545

The added fans have also lowered noise across the board!

Specs
CPU: 5600X, +200Mhz OC, Manual PBO, CO -25 all cores
Cooler: Z37 with 92mm noctua
MB: B550-I strix
RAM: 16GB 3600 CL16 Trident Z rgb
GPU: RTX 3060 Pegasus, undervolted 931 mV
PSU: Silverstone FX600, Stock
SSD 1: 500 GB SATA (Samsung 860)
SSD 2: 500 GB NVME (SN850)
SSD 3: 1TB NVME (SN550)
Casefans, noctua: 120x15mm intake, 2x 92x14mm exhaust.

wilsonn8

Chassis Packer
Nov 18, 2020
Seeking build advices before i order in the densium 4 v2!

I'm looking to order the case, 7660b power supply (should i include the custom mods?), z39 cooler (vs notua l9?) and gen4 riser cable.

Filling with main components -
amd 5700x ; asus strix b550i ; msi 3060 ti aero ; not sure about ram/storage choices yet.