NCASE M1 V6 info

Darch

Chassis Packer
Jan 21, 2018
:eek: Did you chose normal or express shipping?
Right, so I chose normal shipping. Even so, the case is now in my country with the national postal service. I don't know how long they'll take to process it (they're usually pretty efficient), but I was very impressed with standard shipping taking only six days to get from Taiwan to Ireland!
I have a flashed Ref Vega 56 on my Ncase, Performance is great. Noise is terrible on load. Other than getting a new card what can I do?
Have you tried undervolting?

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Right, so I chose normal shipping. Even so, the case is now in my country with the national postal service. I don't know how long they'll take to process it (they're usually pretty efficient), but I was very impressed with standard shipping taking only six days to get from Taiwan to Ireland!

Have you tried undervolting?
Yes, jet engine is still online. I'll try repasting it or the surefire trick. Headphones.

hottnucks

Efficiency Noob
May 12, 2018
The standard SFX mounting location is unchanged from V5. The SFX bracket can now be mounted at the front of the case, however, removing the need to use the ATX bracket and an adapter to mount an SFX PSU there.

Necere do you have any approximate cable length recommendations for PSUs mounted in the front position? I was hoping to find this information on the net, but I'm only able to find cable lengths for the V5 SFX mounting location.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
If I added a 120 fan under the blower V56 would it help lower noise? I would need a NF-F12 for that right? NF-A12 is for case airflow?

Last edited:

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
From page 1:
Optical Disc Drive (requires optional top panel with ODD slot)
  • ODD bracket supports slim slot-loading optical drives in 9.5mm or 12.7mm sizes
You can, but you need to buy top panel with ODD slot, because the default option doesn't include them.
Thanks for the response, i am afraid the slotted top panel ain't that popular.

edamar

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2020
Has anyone tried the ASUS Strix 2080 Super or Ti with 3 fans in the V6 case? With the V6, this GPU can now fit in (see verification here), but because it's pretty tall, there is no space for any fan underneath. Can the Strix manage on its own without fans? What is the temp?

I finished my build mid January, but did not want to post until I added the last two fans as intake in my Ncase M1.

Build
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-I
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X
GPU: NVIDIA 2080 ti
Ram: Corsair LPX 2 X 16GB 3200 MHz
AIO: Kraken x52

Attached below is a table comparing benchmark results and thermals. ( hopefully I added the image right ? ) As you can see the thermals were just fine before I switched the AIO stock fans, and added 2 bottom intake fans (all fans being switched to NF-F12 120mm). In fact the thermals got worse for some bench marks. Although I did change rooms from where I initially did the benchmarks so I can not say with absolute certainty that did or did not affected the benchmark results/thermals . But what I can say with certainty is that the Ncase M1 6.1 handles the 2080 ti impressively well! with or with out bottom intake fans.
I have rendered a 1gb Rhino 6 file with V-ray at "Very High Quality" and image width/height of "1920x720" and it never
reached passed 55C !

edamar

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2020
I might end up taking off bottom intake fans if I find that my real world use reflects the benchmark results. In that the GPU temps are relatively worse especially if I find that to be the case in V-ray, but for now i'll keep them.

P.S
If anyone wants me to run another benchmark with my set up for comparing what you'd like to build just let me know.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Is your cpu stock or is it undervolted or something? I find the cinebench puntuation pretty low. I reach 10.200-10.300 when overclocked, but when it was stock it never went under 9.200 or so.

Darch

Chassis Packer
Jan 21, 2018

Right, was delivered this morning with no customs due... ?

Will have a proper look at it when I get in tonight.

edamar

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2020
Is your cpu stock or is it undervolted or something? I find the cinebench puntuation pretty low. I reach 10.200-10.300 when overclocked, but when it was stock it never went under 9.200 or so.

Compared to your numbers it does seem pretty low. I have not played with the voltages of the cpu at all so stock it is. I have noticed that the thermals are rather inconsistent. For example the 2080 ti stays consistently at 27C until it begins to be used then it rises accordingly, but that's not the case with my cpu. At idle the cpu jumps around from 43C, 52C, to 46C, sometimes even up to 57C and the same happens when under load although under load it never reaches absurd numbers it still seems inconsistent. I don't know if this may be the reason my Cinebench score is rather low compared to yours? or maybe I have to update something? Either way below is a picture of my idle voltages, and a screen shot of NZXT Cam at idle as well. I would hate to not be getting the most out of the cpu (not including overclocked) so if I could get my scores to match or come close to yours that would be awesome!

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Compared to your numbers it does seem pretty low. I have not played with the voltages of the cpu at all so stock it is. I have noticed that the thermals are rather inconsistent. For example the 2080 ti stays consistently at 27C until it begins to be used then it rises accordingly, but that's not the case with my cpu. At idle the cpu jumps around from 43C, 52C, to 46C, sometimes even up to 57C and the same happens when under load although under load it never reaches absurd numbers it still seems inconsistent. I don't know if this may be the reason my Cinebench score is rather low compared to yours? or maybe I have to update something? Either way below is a picture of my idle voltages, and a screen shot of NZXT Cam at idle as well. I would hate to not be getting the most out of the cpu (not including overclocked) so if I could get my scores to match or come close to yours that would be awesome!

That´s a bit strange, because although is pretty normal for these chips to have big fluctuations in temperatures at idle or light loads, it´s not when they are at higher loads... I would double check that your block is making proper contact with the IHS of the cpu just in case. These big changes in temp happened to me when I used too little thermal paste or the cpu block is not properly mounted.

For example, my previous 3700x and Alphacool eisbaer lt 240 for some reason didn´t cope well with each other, and while I fixed it a bit using what may be considered too much thermal paste, In the end it was a exacerbated case of and IHS that is not completely flat and a colplate with the same problem but in a sense that they didn´t make good contact at all between them. I lapped both of them and saw huge improved termals. I´m not saying this is your case, but you have the same issues I had with the 3700x.

Another way of knowing that your coldplate is not doing good contact is watching how the temp drops after being the cpu at high loads. It should drop quite fast in few seconds, not go down slowly.

Also look at your frecuencies when the cpu is under load, it should be around or a bit over 4 ghz and more or less stable, not fluctuating a lot.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So I can get the latest one with room for an ODD?
All M1s include the bracket for a slim optical drive as standard. However, all of the M1s we are currently shipping include the top panel without the slot needed to access the ODD. These will be available for sale separately shortly (next day or two).

Reactions: 3dl1r and paulesko

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
Is there any cheaper version of shipping than $65 for Albania. Our import fees and taxes are high as well and i will probably be spending 60% of product value in taxes and shipping!

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Is there any cheaper version of shipping than $65 for Albania. Our import fees and taxes are high as well and i will probably be spending 60% of product value in taxes and shipping!
Probably not, depending on where you are, the website gives you options or no option at all. If shipping to USA you get like 3 options, I checked for south america and there was only one option.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
All M1s include the bracket for a slim optical drive as standard. However, all of the M1s we are currently shipping include the top panel without the slot needed to access the ODD. These will be available for sale separately shortly (next day or two).

Awesome, thanks.

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Question about SO DIMM.2 on Crosshair VIII Impact. The manual shows m.2_1 and m.2_2 locations. Does it matter which of the two I use for my boot drive? I ask this, because the location for m.2_1 is very close to the backplate of my GPU which makes the drive on m.2_1 location way hotter. I would like to use my PCI gen 4 boot drive on the m.2_2 if possible.

Last edited:

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Question about SO DIMM.2 on Crosshair VIII Impact. The manual shows m.2_1 and m.2_2 locations. Does it matter which of the two I use for my boot drive? I ask this, because the location for m.2_1 is very close to the backplate of my GPU which makes the drive on m.2_1 location way hotter. I would like to use my PCI gen 4 boot drive on the m.2_2 if possible.

This post at the Republic of Gamers forum may help: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115203-Crosshair-VIII-Impact-m-2#post792054

It indicates that according to the motherboard manual (page 1-8) M.2_2 is provided by the CPU and M2_1 is provided by the X570 chipset. According to the post, this is why M.2_2 operates at PCIe 3.0 when a 1st or 2nd Gen (Zen and Zen+) CPU is installed. Those older CPUs only provide PCIe 3.0. With a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Zen2) CPU M.2_2 will operate at PCIe 4.0. In contrast the M.2_1 always operates at PCIe 4.0 regardless of what generation of Ryzen CPU is installed. This is because the X570 chipset provides PCIe 4.0.

So I would say use M.2_2. It's connected directly to the CPU and it will be cooler for your drive.

Also, I always install Windows with only my boot drive installed to make sure the OS is being installed to the correct device. This actually used to be necessary when installing to an SSD with earlier versions of Windows. It's not necessary any more, but I still do it and then install other storage drives after Windows is installed.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darch and schn1tt3r

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
This post at the Republic of Gamers forum may help: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?115203-Crosshair-VIII-Impact-m-2#post792054

It indicates that according to the motherboard manual (page 1-8) M.2_2 is provided by the CPU and M2_1 is provided by the X570 chipset. According to the post, this is why M.2_2 operates at PCIe 3.0 when a 1st or 2nd Gen (Zen and Zen+) CPU is installed. Those older CPUs only provide PCIe 3.0. With a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Zen2) CPU M.2_2 will operate at PCIe 4.0. In contrast the M.2_1 always operates at PCIe 4.0 regardless of what generation of Ryzen CPU is installed. This is because the X570 chipset provides PCIe 4.0.

So I would say use M.2_2. It's connected directly to the CPU and it will be cooler for your drive.

Also, I always install Windows with only my boot drive installed to make sure the OS is being installed to the correct device. This actually used to be necessary when installing to an SSD with earlier versions of Windows. It's not necessary any more, but I still do it and then install other storage drives after Windows is installed.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for this. My guess was this too, that it did not matter. Actually, I found it weird too that the drive on M.2_1 shows 2nd on the BIOS. Back in the day, I remember you had to use SATA 0 for OS drive, that was my worry. But yeah, I did read that Ryzen 3000 and this board would give you Gen 4 speeds on M.2_2. I really don't know why my strix backplate is so hot. Temps on software show card 73 degrees, but the backplate I can't even touch it for long due to how hot it gets. I suspect that is the reason why my M.2 is 20 degrees hotter than the other one.