ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 8GB
Corsair SF600 v2
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA
2x Noctua NF-A12x25 (bottom)
1x Noctua NF-P12 (side)

Up until now I was set on going for the Noctua NH-U9S with an extra NF-A9 PWM FAN for CPU cooling, but it seems like everyone else are going for the C14S now. Has anything changed in regards to this with the v6 compared to previous Ncase M1 revisions? Should I reconsider?

Unless you take off the heatsink, or mod it, the c14s does not work with the rog z390i. The heatsink is too big since the c14s can only be installed one way with the case. when i get home to the states i plan on cutting a hole in the heatsink to fit the heatpipes.

Reactions: knewt

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
I was about to buy the Z290-I to put in my Ncase before I found this out. I want that type e header. The Asus dtx seems to be the only high end way to get one at the moment. I'm mad about it too. No reason the x570 Strix shouldn't have one when the Z390 does.

Just waiting to see what the dtx price will be. Plenty of placeholder prices floating around, but nothing accurate yet.

knewt

Caliper Novice
Sep 4, 2019
I was about to buy the Z290-I to put in my Ncase before I found this out. I want that type e header. The Asus dtx seems to be the only high end way to get one at the moment. I'm mad about it too. No reason the x570 Strix shouldn't have one when the Z390 does.

Just waiting to see what the dtx price will be. Plenty of placeholder prices floating around, but nothing accurate yet.

Doesnt Z390-I have Type E header? Both 19-pin and 20-pin to accomodate all USB ports in the front?

kse617

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2019
Impatiently waiting for the V6 to go in stock, 3 days to go! Here's what I got sitting on a cardboard box for now:

Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.3GHz 1.26V
Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi (might go for a C8I when in stock)
2* 16GB Ballistix Sport LT @ 3600 CL16 (E-die)
Sapphire RX 5700 XT fan/shroudless
2TB Intel 660p
SF750 Platinum
Alphacool LT240
2* NF-P12 Redux 1300 (intake, bottom)
2* NF-P12 Redux 1300 (exhaust, side)

Unfortunately I think the prices you see around are final, I asked some dealers a couple of days ago and the distributor prices they handle are around that mark (350-400€).

An option might be getting a cheaper one (my Gigabyte works exceptionally well IMO) and getting one of these for the front USB-C and one of these for the front USB-A, although you'd get 2.0 speeds on the A ports.

Also not sure how USB-PD would work on the 19-to-20 pin adapter, but being able to fast charge my phone through the front USB-C port would be awesome, making the C8I worth it for that reason alone IMO.

knewt

Caliper Novice
Sep 4, 2019
Im confused. I thought ASUS Strix Z390-I Gaming motherboard had USB headers for both the USB-C and the 2x USB-A ports in front of M1 v6? So I can connect them both at the same time. Am I missing something, is there a compromise im not aware of?

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
No, there won't be any problem with the Asus Z390 I.

They are just talking about other boards for AMD build. There are not too many options in that case (apart an Asus DTX one which is super expensive)

Reactions: knewt

titan253

Cable Smoosher
Sep 3, 2019
It's the CPU socket location on that board that's causing the cooler to sit too high to clear the top panel. The board-to-top clearance is the same across all versions, so it won't be any different in V6.

Would there be anyway to mod the pegs (simply a spacer of sorts) from the top panel to give enough clearance? I realize it'd leave a gap, i'm just trying to determine if it's worth the hassle or if i should just go with an AIO

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Would there be anyway to mod the pegs (simply a spacer of sorts) from the top panel to give enough clearance? I realize it'd leave a gap, i'm just trying to determine if it's worth the hassle or if i should just go with an AIO
Someone did a 3D-printed top hat mod, you could do something like that but not as thick. Personally I think it looks ugly as sin though, so definitely not worth it IMO.

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
Im confused. I thought ASUS Strix Z390-I Gaming motherboard had USB headers for both the USB-C and the 2x USB-A ports in front of M1 v6? So I can connect them both at the same time. Am I missing something, is there a compromise im not aware of?
Problem with the Z390 Strix board is that it doesn't fit a Noctua C14S in the Ncase for me.

Someone did a 3D-printed top hat mod, you could do something like that but not as thick. Personally I think it looks ugly as sin though, so definitely not worth it IMO.
Ugly as sin is an understatement. ha

Reactions: rfarmer

NeverBackDown

Caliper Novice
Jul 22, 2019
I've found the AIO to not be as quiet or as cheap as this setup. Also, the C14S will never leak.
If you get good Noctua fans like you already are, it'll be more quiet and most definitely won't leak. It's so rare for a leak to happen. It's not even worth considering. They sell an insane amount of AIOs and you never hear of any leaks. I've been running mine nearly 24/7 for over 4 years now. Never leaked or had problems.

C14S will still run hot according to that guy who posted here and reddit, who tested a bunch of configurations

Just not a lot of surface area.

Midium

Cable Smoosher
Aug 22, 2019
Concerning the new front I/O:
Is the version inside the V6 also divided into 2 parts, like the older versions? And what does "new mold" of the front I/O mean? Are the cables more flexible than before?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I think, New mold means it has a separate face plate for the new IO(they are doing usb-c and audio plugs are combined into one like the one used in laptops). It should be easier on the bill of materials to have it separate as two parts if the package will offer replaceable face plate

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Concerning the new front I/O:
Is the version inside the V6 also divided into 2 parts, like the older versions? And what does "new mold" of the front I/O mean? Are the cables more flexible than before?
I think, New mold means it has a separate face plate for the new IO(they are doing usb-c and audio plugs are combined into one like the one used in laptops). It should be easier on the bill of materials to have it separate as two parts if the package will offer replaceable face plate
A mold is what you use to make plastic parts. In the case of the M1, the ports are encased in a custom molded plastic housing. V6 is getting new ones, which are split up for each port unlike the old V5:

IanKen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 29, 2019
A mold is what you use to make plastic parts. In the case of the M1, the ports are encased in a custom molded plastic housing. V6 is getting new ones, which are split up for each port unlike the old V5:
Very curious to see how these work in conjunction with a 240 rad. In my V5 I had to get the Dremel out and remove a lot of material from the front panel ports. In the end I got the XSPC slim rad to fit (with 15mm fans underneath).

One thing I do like about the V6 is the free flowing bottom panel. Would like to see the same on the side.