Nanook's build log (9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080Ti)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Can I ask why are you using an offset of -5 for AVX. Locking the Long and Short Power duration doesn’t automatically decrease the speed under AVX load? In my Dan with an LP53 I had the 9900k locked at the intel specs like you, and under rendering session it goes at 3.6ghz for all core.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Can I ask why are you using an offset of -5 for AVX. Locking the Long and Short Power duration doesn’t automatically decrease the speed under AVX load? In my Dan with an LP53 I had the 9900k locked at the intel specs like you, and under rendering session it goes at 3.6ghz for all core.
I was playing with AVX while lowering other settings from my OC (5ghz all cores), but later lowered power limit and voltage instead. I can try removing the AVX offset, to see if it makes a difference.

What temp are you getting with the 9900K/LP53?

JustinDulay

Caliper Novice
May 3, 2019
Hi Nanook, I was wondering if you’ve tested out the 2x 92mm fans in the Dan A4 set to exhaust, while the Black Ridge intakes air in a pull configuration.

Optimum Tech’s video got me thinking as to how negative pressure works well in sandwich layout cases, and given that the Dan A4 can now be equipped with 2 case fans, I think it should work too.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Hi Nanook, I was wondering if you’ve tested out the 2x 92mm fans in the Dan A4 set to exhaust, while the Black Ridge intakes air in a pull configuration.

Optimum Tech’s video got me thinking as to how negative pressure works well in sandwich layout cases, and given that the Dan A4 can now be equipped with 2 case fans, I think it should work too.
Good idea! But no, I'm still using the negative pressure build in the Ghost S1 - NH-L12 with A12x25 intake, and 4 A12x25 as exhausts. Pretty happy with it so far. The main hurdles for me are having to run the CPU fan at a very high RPM, AND to severely restrain the 9900K to 95w power limit... that's mainly why I am reluctant to switch to one of the >9L cases for now. When I get the urge to tinker, I might move my other build to the A4-SFX v4 case with negative pressure and/or the SM550 case w/ vented panels with negative pressure to check performance.

Reactions: JustinDulay

JustinDulay

Caliper Novice
May 3, 2019
Good idea! But no, I'm still using the negative pressure build in the Ghost S1 - NH-L12 with A12x25 intake, and 4 A12x25 as exhausts. Pretty happy with it so far. The main hurdles for me are having to run the CPU fan at a very high RPM, AND to severely restrain the 9900K to 95w power limit... that's mainly why I am reluctant to switch to one of the >9L cases for now. When I get the urge to tinker, I might move my other build to the A4-SFX v4 case with negative pressure and/or the SM550 case w/ vented panels with negative pressure to check performance.

You have a very impressive collection and quite the adventure of experiencing so many enclosures! 4 of those A12x25s do wonders for cases. I have 4 myself inside an NCase M1 on a 240 AIO + Accelero III and it's probably the best cooling I'll ever have. I'm looking forward to the 65w 3700X which has made me consider the Dan A4, and eventually making use of 3x 92x14 fans with the Black Ridge and the rest as exhaust. It's a waiting game for now, for both the case and the new CPUs to be available.

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I decided to give the SM 580 a try. My main components haven’t changed - 9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080 Ti.

Different parts:
  • I swapped in 32gb 3000 DDR4 ram Vengeance white light ram, in place of the 32gb of Crucial 2666 VLP ram.
  • Cooler is the NZXT Kraken x62 280mm AIO - I haven’t used CAM in 3+ years. I was hoping that CAM would be much better, but no luck... it was pretty much the same as before.
  • Four sets of Noctua A14 Chromax black swap fans. These are very quiet, and looks great. I might switch the two radiator fans back to the AER fans since they spin higher...
Pictures:

I love the clean front and sides.

There was a lot of stuff to squeeze in there, nothing new though.

Radiator fans set to push up, and bottom fans set to exhaust. I might try top intake to get better CPU temperatures...

I got the black out trim pieces for the EVGA RTX 2080ti XC.

So you may ask - why did I get the SM580? I could have gotten the SM570 and have a slimmer case... I’m planning on upgrading my home network to 10gigabit. I’m thinking to upgrade my NAS to 10gbe, get a two port 10gbe + 8 1gbe switch. I’m hoping to be able to use a bifurcation riser in the SM 580 with the Asrock Z390 to plug in a 10gbr NIC behind the graphics card.

As for performance in the new case, I’m still dialing in my temps. I have high hopes for the Kraken X62, but so far it’s cooking my CPU. Maybe the AER fans spinning higher, and/or switching radiator fans to pull cool air into the case would help with cooling.

More to come!

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
It looks like you're having the same thing I am having - the PSU tipped slightly at an angle. I thought it was just me because I put the pump on the other side, but it fit perfectly so I am guessing it's just a quirk of the case.

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
It looks like you're having the same thing I am having - the PSU tipped slightly at an angle. I thought it was just me because I put the pump on the other side, but it fit perfectly so I am guessing it's just a quirk of the case.

I noticed the slight tilt too. I’ll take another look at it tonight.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Very clean setup.
However i’ve some BIG doubt with 10gbe card behind graphic card...back of gpu are pretty toasty..:)

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Very clean setup.
However i’ve some BIG doubt with 10gbe card behind graphic card...back of glu are pretty toasty..:)
Thanks! Do you think the heat will break the 10gbe NIC? I’m thinking to get a NIC with heatsinks that allows vertical airflow.

Planck

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019

I mentioned before that the PSU holder needs a 4th screw up front at the top. The tension of the cables may be twisting the holder.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks! Do you think the heat will break the 10gbe NIC? I’m thinking to get a NIC with heatsinks that allows vertical airflow.
Well I've only tested some ssd on expansion card behind my GPU (GTX 1080ti)...and it was awfully hot.

Let's see..;)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Well I've only tested some ssd on expansion card behind my GPU (GTX 1080ti)...and it was awfully hot.

Let's see..;)
Most NIC max operating temperature are 55c, some go up to 70c.
If I’m moving / copying files, temps should be ok with the gpu mainly idle. With photo editing off of the 10gbe NAS, the gpu will also be running along with the 10gbe NIC - granted the gpu won’t be running at gaming utilization.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I mentioned before that the PSU holder needs a 4th screw up front at the top. The tension of the cables may be twisting the holder.
It’s actually not so bad. My main complain is that I can’t have the SF750 fan facing outwards. The PSU bracket interferes with the switch on the SF750.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016

Check what I found on reddit @Nanook, I have a feeling you have something more elegant in mind.
Nice find! I love this. My first SFF build was just like that, shoving dual 120 AIO, and a Grid+ in the M1. :)
Perfect use-case for the solid panel... but hey if it works, right? :)

Reactions: rfarmer