Prototype MT5: 5.4L Expandable case for mini GPUs

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Wanted to give you guys an update since I do still have plans but they've been stalled by work and other projects. Since this thread really is about a line of similar products I want to continue with different plastic and metal variants of the cases. They will come in three sizes:

~4L - short full-height GPU with external GPU (option for a low profile GPU and Flex-ATX PSU)
4L < 5L - short full-height GPU with flexATX PSU)
7L - full-length GPU with SFX PSU

The plastic cases will have 5mm acrylic panels on the exterior that are joined either with case mod cubes or custom angled edge pieces (like the LZ7 case). The metal cases will have 4mm aluminum panels joined with mod cubes.

Because this involves several different types of cases to be made, I will roll them out incrementally, starting with the small sizes first.

Reactions: Jello

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
Wanted to give you guys an update since I do still have plans but they've been stalled by work and other projects. Since this thread really is about a line of similar products I want to continue with different plastic and metal variants of the cases. They will come in three sizes:

~4L - short full-height GPU with external GPU (option for a low profile GPU and Flex-ATX PSU)
4L < 5L - short full-height GPU with flexATX PSU)
7L - full-length GPU with SFX PSU

The plastic cases will have 5mm acrylic panels on the exterior that are joined either with case mod cubes or custom angled edge pieces (like the LZ7 case). The metal cases will have 4mm aluminum panels joined with mod cubes.

Because this involves several different types of cases to be made, I will roll them out incrementally, starting with the small sizes first.

Nice you have lots of very good variation perfect!
So when can we expect a released of this case? I'm Interested to buy...

I'm so very interested with the 4L < 5L - short full-height GPU with flexATX PSU)
With MSI Aero RTX 2070 GPU and the modded Geeek PSUs
Its what I wanted... It would have been better to removed the space for SSD since we all use M.2 nowadays
I wish theres a Variation on that aswell to people who are more into SFF compact!

Reactions: CC Ricers

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I dont quite understand what you mean by "
~4L - short full-height GPU with external GPU (option for a low profile GPU and Flex-ATX PSU)"

can you elaborate?

edit: great stuff so far, good luck with the selling aspect!

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
When will it be available for Order? @CC Ricers
can we see more screens please...
I'm Interested with the 1st variant its more like Velka 3 but smaller I think
Since it supports Geeek PSUs

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm really surprised to see a couple of replies all curious about the case today! Let me get to some of them:

I dont quite understand what you mean by "
~4L - short full-height GPU with external GPU (option for a low profile GPU and Flex-ATX PSU)"

can you elaborate?

edit: great stuff so far, good luck with the selling aspect!

Yeah, that's a typo like @Kilrah brought up, should be external PSU for the 4L option.

Nice you have lots of very good variation perfect!
So when can we expect a released of this case? I'm Interested to buy...

I'm so very interested with the 4L < 5L - short full-height GPU with flexATX PSU)
With MSI Aero RTX 2070 GPU and the modded Geeek PSUs
Its what I wanted... It would have been better to removed the space for SSD since we all use M.2 nowadays
I wish theres a Variation on that aswell to people who are more into SFF compact!

New designs are coming out but with the 5L (and soon to follow 4L) versions first. I've been stalling the prototyping process for a while because I settled on a series of designs that take use of some angled corner pieces.

This case will definitely fit a MSI Aero RTX 2070. The clearance height is even enough to fit the oversized Gigabyte 1080 mini from last generation. Here is a side view showing GPU height clearance and front fans installed.

Don't expect a release until at least January. The 5L version will come first (shown in this picture) which is a layout with the PSU at the bottom and motherboard and GPU sandwiched on top. 7L is temporarily on hold for now.

The aspect that took the most time is designing a motherboard tray that is sturdy for plastic material, while giving the PSU room for cables. Especially with the Geeek modded PSUs.

But as I type this I actually have the corner pieces for the first case already with me. Most of the other case panels have been produced for the prototype, so I'm just waiting on the panels to ship to my home. These panels are all 3D printed out of PETG since it is cheaper than doing a single set with laser cut acrylic.

Production cases will be first made with acrylic. I expect there to be less demand for the 4L version due to having more limited GPU and PSU choices.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Many thanks for the replies, friend!

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
@CC Ricers I cant wait for the 4L, without SSD space, since we all use M.2 nowadays... and many requested that you can even poll if you want. Its better to leave the 2 FAN

If they want SSD they can select the 5L variation...
Damn I'm so interested!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@CC Ricers I cant wait for the 4L, without SSD space, since we all use M.2 nowadays... and many requested that you can even poll if you want. Its better to leave the 2 FAN

If they want SSD they can select the 5L variation...
Damn I'm so interested!

Due to the way the corner pieces line up with the panels, the 4L does have room for a SSD in the bottom. The difference with the 5L is that it can fit one or two more for a total of three.

I already begun the prototype case assembly and here's some pictures showing the detail on two of the panels.

A funny thing about the panels is when they were printed, the side that sticks to the bed ended up with a texture that is not unlike the rough finished texture found in a lot of injection-molded plastic parts.

The matte acrylic will have a much finer texture, but I thought this texture on these parts looked very aesthetically pleasing compared to the line patterns found on the tops of FDM printed parts.

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
A funny thing about the panels is when they were printed, the side that sticks to the bed ended up with a texture that is not unlike the rough finished texture found in a lot of injection-molded plastic parts.

Looking good! That happens when it gets printed on a powder coated bed, it helps with the object sticking to the bed and prevents warping.
Small thing I'd look at: you might want to increase the segments in your circles as they're a bit rugged atm.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looking good! That happens when it gets printed on a powder coated bed, it helps with the object sticking to the bed and prevents warping.
Small thing I'd look at: you might want to increase the segments in your circles as they're a bit rugged atm.
Well that explains it! I might prefer to have the corner pieces printed in this fashion to obtain a decent texture instead of using the somewhat more expensive Shapeways.

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
Due to the way the corner pieces line up with the panels, the 4L does have room for a SSD in the bottom. The difference with the 5L is that it can fit one or two more for a total of three.

I already begun the prototype case assembly and here's some pictures showing the detail on two of the panels.

The matte acrylic will have a much finer texture, but I thought this texture on these parts looked very aesthetically pleasing compared to the line patterns found on the tops of FDM printed parts.

I cant wait for the 4L man is there an ETA for this? damn looks to good! :D

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I cant wait for the 4L man is there an ETA for this? damn looks to good! :D

Thanks! There is no firm ETA yet but seeing some demand for the 4L I would have to make equal sized batches for both the 4L and 5L versions. I personally will use the 5L for my own PC but also will test out whatever parts I can for the 4L case.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
My final 3D printed parts came today, so it looks like I'll be able to fully assemble the frame and build in it before the new year. Definitely going to get ramping up on the first parts produced for the first batch afterwards.

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
My final 3D printed parts came today, so it looks like I'll be able to fully assemble the frame and build in it before the new year. Definitely going to get ramping up on the first parts produced for the first batch afterwards.

Omg! thats some good news today!
Show us some spoiler pictures!
I cant wait for your 4L man I would totally love to get one of it!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Would love to see photos of a Meanwell setup (or renders if you don't have the actual hardware)!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Omg! thats some good news today!
Show us some spoiler pictures!
I cant wait for your 4L man I would totally love to get one of it!

Not sure if I'll have time to post pictures today but should have more time for them tomorrow January 1st.

I'm gonna work on some design tweaks to make the 4L even more compact, perhaps even bring it under 4L!

Would love to see photos of a Meanwell setup (or renders if you don't have the actual hardware)!

Will try to get at least some renders for a Meanwell setup. Is this for the 5L or 4L case? A meanwell 400W or 500W internal power supply should fit no problem in the 5L. Are you planning on using it with the J-Hack Distro 400?

MassZERO

Caliper Novice
Dec 6, 2019
Not sure if I'll have time to post pictures today but should have more time for them tomorrow January 1st.

I'm gonna work on some design tweaks to make the 4L even more compact, perhaps even bring it under 4L!

I like the sound of that 4L well if you do that you would probably break the record of Velka for the Spot of the Smallest!
Well anyway I'll wait for news about it... Just make sure that it supports [SFFTEC] Enhance 600w Flex ATX, I'll just manually replace the Fan into Noctua for it.... If Geeek PSU is a bit to long for the build, then I'd prefer the Enhance!
The more compact the better!