Prototype MT5: 5.4L Expandable case for mini GPUs

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Thanks, and I haven't thought about using liquid cooling parts for the bottom gap. I was only thinking about using some AC power supplies. What do you mean by pedestal? Like, adding QDCs to connect a radiator to the bottom?
Yeah like running an external radiator and pump in a separate housing which sits under the case or is out of the way. It's not efficient necessarily, but some people will run a rad/pump/res inside a desk for example and run the tubes up to the case so you only see the case on top of the desk.

Like this Louqe Ghost - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18188687/

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have come back to update this project. The case outer dimensions are now final. I had to shorten the length of the case in a way that will make production easier in batches. The new length of the case, from front to back is now 199mm. Graphics cards up to 180mm in length will fit. The case is also wider by 6mm (on the GPU chamber) for a new width of 112mm.

The height of 205mm remains the same. But I have raised the GPU mounting points in order to make the space below more useful, as well as with the new case width. This opens up more flexible configurations for power and storage.

In this design update, you can install up to four 2.5" SSDs below the GPU (7mm height). Alternatively you can also choose to use the space to install AC-DC power supplies such as the newer HDPLEX 200W or any open-frame PSUs up to a 76mm x 152mm footprint (Meanwell EPP-400 is 76mm x 127mm). These brick-less configurations give up the space for 2.5" hard drives so the only storage here would be M.2 drives.

These drawings should help illustrate two of the main configurations for the case.

Moving forward, I am closer to taking pre-orders for a case. Again, black and white would be the main colors but I will have other colors possible to be made.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I have come back to update this project. The case outer dimensions are now final. I had to shorten the length of the case in a way that will make production easier in batches. The new length of the case, from front to back is now 199mm. Graphics cards up to 180mm in length will fit. The case is also wider by 6mm (on the GPU chamber) for a new width of 112mm.

The height of 205mm remains the same. But I have raised the GPU mounting points in order to make the space below more useful, as well as with the new case width. This opens up more flexible configurations for power and storage.

In this design update, you can install up to three 2.5" SSDs below the GPU. Alternatively you can also choose to use the space to install AC-DC power supplies such as the newer HDPLEX 200W or any open-frame PSUs up to a 76mm x 152mm footprint (Meanwell EPP-400 is 76mm x 127mm). These brick-less configurations give up the space for 2.5" hard drives so the only storage here would be M.2 drives.

These drawings should help illustrate two of the main configurations for the case.

Moving forward, I am closer to taking pre-orders for a case. Again, black and white would be the main colors but I will have other colors possible to be made.

Sounds nice. Please have a hard link to the imgur album as well, as I currently can't view it. (That 1 px line again ARGH).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Sounds nice. Please have a hard link to the imgur album as well, as I currently can't view it. (That 1 px line again ARGH).

Here's a direct link to the album.

Also, I have made a render of the case in black with the SSD configuration.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Currently trying out optimal vent designs for the cost of the case panels, in order to keep this affordable. Of course the cheapest option is not to have vents, but that will not be good for temperatures.

However, since this case also supports bottom fans, you can have a bottom push fan setup for vertical air flow. This requires less intakes from the sides.

Reactions: ryandvd

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Currently trying out optimal vent designs for the cost of the case panels, in order to keep this affordable. Of course the cheapest option is not to have vents, but that will not be good for temperatures.

However, since this case also supports bottom fans, you can have a bottom push fan setup for vertical air flow. This requires less intakes from the sides.
Honestly I’d say slots like the geeekcases do just around cpu socket and gpu fan locations would be best. That way you’re not putting pointless vents all around the side panels.

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Honestly I’d say slots like the geeekcases do just around cpu socket and gpu fan locations would be best. That way you’re not putting pointless vents all around the side panels.

Yeah, I'll probably go that route. Need to limit the total length of cut shapes and at the same time not make the slots too wide and still aesthetically pleasing. It's a balance.

Can you add M3 screw holes to mount the RPS-200-12C? It is just two simple screws 55mm apart. Centered on a 51x102 mm footprint.

Fortunately I don't think it'll even be necessary. There are two additional holes located on the side of the RPS-200 enclosure. This fits much better on the case sideways than upright. The bottom slots of the case are made to slide in M3 screws, so it can be installed from its side with ease.

Reactions: smitty2k1

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Here's a vent design that's currently the most likely option. These vents are very similar to the previous acrylic case I had made. They're optimized for most GPU and CPU cooler placements.

This design can be done with reasonable costs when producing in batches. Moving forward with pre-sales and production, I would like to hopefully sell this case for $80 or $85. This includes the case only. The PCIe riser will be a separate purchase.

To accommodate for first batch manufacturing, I will need a minimum order quantity, but it's a very low number- 3. If I could get three pre-orders that can be enough to comfortably cover costs with some overhead.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Here's a vent design that's currently the most likely option. These vents are very similar to the previous acrylic case I had made. They're optimized for most GPU and CPU cooler placements.

This design can be done with reasonable costs when producing in batches. Moving forward with pre-sales and production, I would like to hopefully sell this case for $85. This includes the case only. The PCIe riser will be a separate purchase.

To accommodate for first batch manufacturing, I will need a minimum order quantity, but it's a very low number- 3. If I could get three pre-orders that can be enough to comfortably cover costs with some overhead.

Would the side panels be laser cut or 3D printed?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
As I'm adding the finishing touches, here's a bottom view of the case with 2x 80mm fans installed. The fans should ideally be installed with mesh dust filters between the fans and the case, which are supported in this area.

A rear view showing the power outlet on the bottom right. This accepts common C6 cloverleaf and C8 two-prong connections right out of the box. There will also be adapters for 12v and 19v barrel connectors.

I plan to set up a pre-order form soon. Target price without PCIe riser cable is $80.

Compatible riser cables would have 180 degree connectors, and 20cm across the length of the ribbon. The case has 108mm of space between the mounting holes. The ones I recommend are Li-Heat and Linkup. These have riser cables that would meet the specifications.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
As I'm adding the finishing touches, here's a bottom view of the case with 2x 80mm fans installed. The fans should ideally be installed with mesh dust filters between the fans and the case, which are supported in this area.

A rear view showing the power outlet on the bottom right. This accepts common C6 cloverleaf and C8 two-prong connections right out of the box. There will also be adapters for 12v and 19v barrel connectors.

I plan to set up a pre-order form soon. Target price without PCIe riser cable is $80.

Compatible riser cables would have 180 degree connectors, and 20cm across the length of the ribbon. The case has 108mm of space between the mounting holes. The ones I recommend are Li-Heat and Linkup. These have riser cables that would meet the specifications.
What thickness for the 80mm fans? Curious if intake or exhaust will be best for temps.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have created a survey for those interested in buying the case. You can complete it here: https://forms.gle/Jm37tZwHi6Fq7Eu96

It requires you sign in to Google (one response per user) but it's not a commitment to buy form. This survey is to collect info on preferred case color, pricing, and what region of the world each user is from. This info would help me out a bit more in logistics for creating and shipping the cases.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
What are your thoughts on the durability of the 3D printed parts? Specifically, putting this case in a backpack and biking around town?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I have created a survey for those interested in buying the case. You can complete it here: https://forms.gle/Jm37tZwHi6Fq7Eu96

It requires you sign in to Google (one response per user) but it's not a commitment to buy form. This survey is to collect info on preferred case color, pricing, and what region of the world each user is from. This info would help me out a bit more in logistics for creating and shipping the cases.
You may want to change the language for the confirmation dialogue on the Google Form, it makes it sound like it is a "pre-order"

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
You may want to change the language for the confirmation dialogue on the Google Form, it makes it sound like it is a "pre-order"
I see it now, and I changed the confirmation message so it's more clear what it is. So to state again to everyone, this one is just a survey, as the order form is not yet ready.

What are your thoughts on the durability of the 3D printed parts? Specifically, putting this case in a backpack and biking around town?

I haven't tried that with my own case yet, but I envisioned that if you are going to carry it around, most backpacks have a secondary compartment (not necessarily the smallest one) which may be a more suitable place for carrying, if it's large enough.

Also, I recommend that you put it in a small hard shell carrying case for extra protection. A good size would be 8" x 8" x 4.5" for the interior dimensions (a bit of extra wiggle room won't hurt). A generic padded case is fine and there are also several cases designed for VR gear that would also be sized well for this case.

Reactions: smitty2k1

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've been collecting survey responses and they have been somewhat interesting so far. I have slightly more people responding from Europe than in the US, and while most people prefer a black case, one person is looking to get one in orange. This would be possible if done by custom request. I still have the survey open for anyone that still hasn't participated in it.