Monochrome (Thorzone Mjolnir build)

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Hello everyone! If you like a bit of a read, this first post is for you! If you're more the pictures only type, you'll probably want to wait or subscribe for as parts roll in. ?

This is going to be my first (on SFF.net) build log, and using the soon to release Thorzone Mjolnir. It'll feature some light mods to most of the components, and some custom wiring and sleeving. It'll be used mostly for gaming, but very rare streaming, video and photo editing, and occasionally some 3D rendering/CAD. The parts selection is to make something fit my budget well, as well as get a certain aesthetic I'm looking for, with performance that will hold up for a few years. It's planned to be very monochromatic, with mostly black and silver anodized aluminum (or powder coat/cerakote) metals as accents. Some of the parts I'm waiting for release, as well as debating some others. It'll have some RGB though I don't often use it, it's kind of fun to play with every now and then. The color will mostly likely be off most of the time, and mostly either white or red otherwise.

Case: Thorzone Mjolnir R
For those that don't know, I'll be using a Thorzone Mjolnir. It's a 9.7L ITX enclosure, with a sandwhich style lay out. I plan to use tempered glass panels, but if the cooling is not sufficient I have also ordered it with their "performance" panels that are air-flow panels. I've ordered the case in silver for the exterior. It's exterior measures 209mm tall, 131mm wide, 354mm deep. I plan to have the back panel reanodized in black to match the motherboard rear I/O and GPU I/O nicely.

Processor: Intel Core i9-10900F
I'm choosing the i9-10900F and Z490 platform over Ryzen because most of my "heavy loads" will be games, which Intel still holds a slight edge on. I won't need the iGPU, so, naturally the "F" variant of the CPU is a good choice. Cheaper, and will be ever so slightly cooler. I'll leave it at stock speeds, but maybe with a slight undervolt.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-I Gaming
This board has basically all the features I want, and the aesthetic to match. Though I do have some plans to do some mods with either anodizing or powder coating for a custom look.

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
I've always been a big, big fan of Corsair Dominator memory modules. They always have had that look I really like. I debated hard between the regular DDR4 "Dom-Plats," and the RGB models for some time. The thing I like most of the older models is the silver anodized heat spreader at the top. While the RGB model uses a zinc heat spreader, I believe I can have a local shop powder coat the zinc for a real seamless and custom look. A 2x32GB kit is what I'm looking at; as on my laptop and current desktop I've gotten the RAM usage up to around 26 or 27GB or so. I don't believe the difference in speed is necessarily worth the cost, so I'll be going with the "base" model kits at 3,200 MHz and C16 (16-18-18-36) latency.

Graphics Unit:
For a graphics card, I'll be using a NVidia RTX 2080 Founder's Edition. I was able to find a brand new RTX 2080 for around $600 USD. It was a fair deal. Which is fine. I disliked the Super series having a large reflective plate and green accent on the bottom of the card. It fits the build aesthetic I'm aiming for perfectly with it's silver aluminum cooler and black accents.

NOTE: Since originally buying the 2080, the 3080 has released. If I can get a FE 3080, figure out the pin-out, make some custom wires off the PSU directly to it, and re-anodized the copper-y colored exterior casing bits to silver, I'll likely pick up one to replace the 2080.

Storage: WD Black SN750 2TB
I have had great luck with Western Digital before, and given their reviews it seems their SSD's are no joke either. I'll be going with a 2TB NVMe drive as the primary drive for the computer, and another 2TB (or maybe larger, if they make larger capacities) later on if I decide I need more storage space.

NOTE: The Samsung 970 Evo Plus is a very strong contender and has gotten very price competitive, something to consider.

Power: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum
The SF600 80+ Platinum is realistically the best power supply you can get in a case this size, while still staying true SFX size, and not going over kill with a unit I wouldn't make use of. The 750 watt unit was alluring, but, I doubt this system will pull more than maybe 450-500W from the wall at full load anyways. I plan to replace the fan in the power supply with a Noctua NF-A9x14 HS Chromax fan. I'll remove the fan grill to help reduce noise output even further, and I have plans to do a full set of custom cables.

Cooling:
This system certainly sounds like it has potential to run how, so I went with some of the best choices for cooling out there as well as keeping the system relatively quiet and low-pitched in tone. I'll be using a Cryorig C7G cooler with a Noctua NF-A9x14 HS Chromax fan (this will also match the PSU fan on the same side) for the CPU. As far as case fans, two Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax fan's to pull air into the case should be enough to push air through and cool it sufficiently.

Some extras/items were previously mentioned, but here's the current planned list of mods:
- Custom cables (all black sleeving, custom lengths for perfect bends, with aluminum cable combs)
- IC Graphite Thermal Pad (for the CPU cooler to help keep temperatures down in the long run vs. reapplying thermal paste every year or so, may apply to the GPU as well)
- Either aluminum plating and anodizing to the memory top-bars, or some powder coating to match the silver of the build
- PSU fan replacement
- Motherboard heatsinks anodized in "clear"/silver
- Fan shrouds to on the rear for aesthetics, also anodized
- Phanteks Halos Lux Digital RGB fan frames, on the 120mm fans, also anodized in silver
- Possibly tint glass side panels
- Anodize rear case panel to black
- D-RGB lighting strips

That's it for now, I'd love to hear some opinions so far if you read through! In the mean time, here's some decent shots of the parts I already have collected thus far.

Last edited:

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
Awesome pics! ?

I'm jealous, I would love a MJOLNIR.

I would go for thermal paste on the CPU myself, I think Noctua NT-H1 is rated for something like 3 years, and from what I know graphite pads aren't quite as effective. Possibly better solution for the GPU, though.

Reactions: Sazexa

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
From my reading and understanding it seems to preform just within 1-3° C worse than some of the best pastes. I have plenty of NH-T1 on hand should I decide it's not good enough ? I'll be sure to post thermals once the build is done, too.

Reactions: ZivZulander

jm8080

Cable Smoosher
Jan 31, 2020
Sazexa Have you been able to confirm if the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGBs will fit the Mjolnir? it says it can fit RAM up to 55mm in height but the Corsair Plats RGB are 55.8, almost 56mm. Side panels might bulge and since Mjolnir's side panels will use magnets and not screws it may not bulge and will just straight up not stick to the side of the case at all depending on how strong the magnet is. Asking because I'm also eyeing this RAM for my build.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Sazexa Have you been able to confirm if the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGBs will fit the Mjolnir? it says it can fit RAM up to 55mm in height but the Corsair Plats RGB are 55.8, almost 56mm. Side panels might bulge and since Mjolnir's side panels will use magnets and not screws it may not bulge and will just straight up not stick to the side of the case at all depending on how strong the magnet is. Asking because I'm also eyeing this RAM for my build.
I'll fill you in on the math when I get home, but I spoke with Alex from Thorzone about this directly as well and I'm about 99% sure they fit. As long as my math is correct.

Reactions: jm8080

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020

OKAY, sorry for the delay, I'd been unfortunately busy lately. Firstly I'll start off by saying Alex himself says RAM clearance is 55mm, but here's a quick image for referencing measurements before we go on:

So, as you can see, the top of the CPU IHS sits around 8mm off of the motherboard PCB. The Thorzone team states max cooler clearance is 51mm.

8 + 51 = 59mm of theoretical total clearance from the motherboard PCB "up."

The height of RAM when installed is whatever the RAM height is with an additional 3mm added. As far as I can tell, the modules are approximately 55mm tall. So, 55.8mm + 3mm = 58.8mm in height. So it "fits" by 0.2mm.

If I remember correctly, Alex states that the internal dimensions are more or less 1mm conservative, as they have something like a +/- 0.25mm buffer for tolerances. (1mm +/- that 0.25) Most as they wouldn't want to promise say 51mm and it really be 50.75mm.

So even worst case scenario, where if I had 58.8mm installed RAM height, I should REALISTICALLY at the lowest have something like 59.75mm lowest. Even if I read that wrong, and it were that there is no extra space be for tolerance range where, I could be 0.05mm too tall. I don't think that would be enough to cause a side panel to bulge any significant or noticable degree. I'd wager the magnets would be strong enough to make the RAM modules flex the board for the difference.

Even if it were flexing it to accommodate 0.05mm, I doubt that'd be more flex that what a regular ATX motherboard can see with large air coolers installed sometimes. So, that's why I'm "only" 99% sure it will fit, but I'll be able to verify for sure when the case comes in.

Unless my math was wrong some where, it should hopefully work.

Last edited:

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Small update:

A while back I spoke with Alex from Thorzone about maximum fan height clearance between the motherboard tray and mounting rail above it. He claimed it's 23mm. I planned on using a Noctua 120mm x 15mm fan there, as most of us will but that got me thinking. What else can I put there with it?

I plan to have the fans set up as intake, so, that means that the "sticker side" or "ugly side" of the fan would be what you see IN the case. Since I'd like to use glass panels, if my thermals allow for it, I want to keep visible branding and stickers as minimum as possible. I found these fan grills by a company called "E22," that provide a cool aesthetic while basically covering up the rear side of the fan. I'll probably remove the stickers under the fans as well, but these grills will hide the wiring and solder points behind the sticker. They add 2mm of height. This leaves me with 6mm of play room.

I started then wondering, what else can I fit in there? 6mm isn't much room for anything useful aesthetically, one would think. Any type of fan grill or mesh or something directly on front of the fans would make a lot more acoustic disturbance than I'm looking for. Then I remembered Phanteks makes those nifty little RGB fan frames. Even better, they make them with D-RGB. I'll be able to have my motherboard lighting, RAM lighting, case lighting, AND these fan frame lights all controlled in ASUS Aura. I told Alex about these frames, and that's what gave him the idea for the RGB's built into the "Booster Cell" add-on front panel as well. Best part, they're 6mm thick, so they'll fit as well.

Should I choose to make use of some lighting effects time to time, and if I'm using the Booster Cell add-on, you'll see one D-RGB ring at the front of the case, and two at the top through the case panels since I'll have my fans pulling air in from the top. It will JUST make the fitment, and I'm excited for it. I plan to paint the bronze/brass colored fan reinforcement to black on the NF-A12x15's black, remove the stickers. Make it nice and monochromatic (hey, that's the theme!). The fan grills are stainless steel and brushed finished. I'll have those bead blasted to be smooth and then likely powder coated to match the silver. The Phanteks fan frames are aluminum, so, I can have those reanodized to match the silver even better. Not that it matters as the frames themselves won't really be visible in the case, just the lighting. Here's some sample photos in the mean time, pre-mods, showing how it all fits. It sits right around 24mm tall right now, but it's easy to compress the Noctua anti-vibration pads down to make it be just about, or just under, 23mm tall in total height. I'll just have to test noise next with BOTH the frames and grilles on. I tested individually but not together yet.

Now I'm currently trying to decide on exactly what color, and/or layout, of sleeving I'd like to go with.

• Love
Reactions: anothernoob

jm8080

Cable Smoosher
Jan 31, 2020
OKAY, sorry for the delay, I'd been unfortunately busy lately. Firstly I'll start off by saying Alex himself says RAM clearance is 55mm, but here's a quick image for referencing measurements before we go on:

So, as you can see, the top of the CPU IHS sits around 8mm off of the motherboard PCB. The Thorzone team states max cooler clearance is 51mm.

8 + 51 = 59mm of theoretical total clearance from the motherboard PCB "up."

The height of RAM when installed is whatever the RAM height is with an additional 3mm added. As far as I can tell, the modules are approximately 55mm tall. So, 55.8mm + 3mm = 58.8mm in height. So it "fits" by 0.2mm.

If I remember correctly, Alex states that the internal dimensions are more or less 1mm conservative, as they have something like a +/- 0.25mm buffer for tolerances. (1mm +/- that 0.25) Most as they wouldn't want to promise say 51mm and it really be 50.75mm.

So even worst case scenario, where if I had 58.8mm installed RAM height, I should REALISTICALLY at the lowest have something like 59.75mm lowest. Even if I read that wrong, and it were that there is no extra space be for tolerance range where, I could be 0.05mm too tall. I don't think that would be enough to cause a side panel to bulge any significant or noticable degree. I'd wager the magnets would be strong enough to make the RAM modules flex the board for the difference.

Even if it were flexing it to accommodate 0.05mm, I doubt that'd be more flex that what a regular ATX motherboard can see with large air coolers installed sometimes. So, that's why I'm "only" 99% sure it will fit, but I'll be able to verify for sure when the case comes in.

Unless my math was wrong some where, it should hopefully work.

Thank you for the very detailed answer, you're really planning this build on every aspect even before the case even arrives : )

As for me though, those numbers are still a little too close for comfort, all the websites I saw that is selling this RAM lists it at 2.2 inches in height, when I converted it to millimeters I made a slight error it's not 55.8 it was actually 55.88 so if we round it its 55.9. I'll just wait and see what happens on your build, originally I also plan to buy the RAM in advance before prices went back up again but I guess I need to wait and see for the results first before buying one.

btw very nice camera work, those pictures are really good and I enjoyed reading your write up, can't wait for your build! For my Mjolnir, I don't plan on building in it right away when it arrives, I'll wait for the next gen GPUs and CPUs to arrive first before building, my 2019 build(R5 3600/2070 super) is still fine anyway so I'm okay with reading and looking at pictures of other people's builds for a few months after it arrives, hopefully the things I learn from those would help me plan better when the time comes for me to build on mine.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Thank you for the very detailed answer, you're really planning this build on every aspect even before the case even arrives : )

As for me though, those numbers are still a little too close for comfort, all the websites I saw that is selling this RAM lists it at 2.2 inches in height, when I converted it to millimeters I made a slight error it's not 55.8 it was actually 55.88 so if we round it its 55.9. I'll just wait and see what happens on your build, originally I also plan to buy the RAM in advance before prices went back up again but I guess I need to wait and see for the results first before buying one.

btw very nice camera work, those pictures are really good and I enjoyed reading your write up, can't wait for your build! For my Mjolnir, I don't plan on building in it right away when it arrives, I'll wait for the next gen GPUs and CPUs to arrive first before building, my 2019 build(R5 3600/2070 super) is still fine anyway so I'm okay with reading and looking at pictures of other people's builds for a few months after it arrives, hopefully the things I learn from those would help me plan better when the time comes for me to build on mine.

Thanks for the kind words on the photography!

It will indeed be a tight fit. But I think the 2.2" measurement is a bit on the rounded up side. So that will hopefully help, too. I think they REALLY are only around 2⅛" which is like 2.16-ish I believe, so it should be closer to 55mm than 56mm. Either way, my CPU cooler set up will be around 46mm tall. Give the RAM height will be 5mm-ish less, that should make it just about even with the promised 51mm fitment. So tight, but hopefully very close fitment. If the RGB models don't fit, I think regular Dominator Platinums are slightly smaller and may fit.

Nothing wrong with waiting for newer hardware! I'm currently working with a system I built for my fiance a few years ago (using some spare parts I had like an i3-6xxx and a GTX 980, running at only 1080p 60 Hz Max) so I'm ready for a new toy now. I figure I'll hold onto the GPU for maybe two or three generations where I can't hit 60 FPS anymore, and maybe longer for the CPU, and RAM. I'll likely only be at 3,440 x 1,440 or those new 32:9 set ups in 1440p, at 60Hz ish.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
OPINIONS WANTED!
I plan on using some Teleios sleeve for my PSU wiring. I'm also using some silver aluminum Alphacool Eiskamm Aluminum cable combs. I'm pretty interested in four colors right now. Black, silver, black/silver combination, and "carbon fiber" which is a black and transparent-ish sleeving that almost looks gray. What's do you think looks best? I'm personally leaning towards the black and silver combination at the moment.

This photo focuses on the black/silver and black in the "top" row.

All silver, then "carbon fiber" with black and gray/translucent sleeve.

Again, black/silver and then black.

Once more, silver alone and the "carbon fiber" style.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I think the black/silver mixed one would compliment the hardware used the most. Plain one colour is rather meh and doesn't usually bring a system together if one doesn't go for a mono-colour rig.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
A small update, as things start coming together.

I have basically everything I need, except the case, motherboard, and CPU. I'll hopefully be getting the motherboard in soon, then I can do the custom re-anodizing or powdercoating to the RAM and motherboard. I've got my cooler and some custom pieces ready to help make the look of the build as I want.

Due to the virus, the build likely won't be completed until late September. My GPU will be "out of date" by then, but, if the performance is the usual "few frames" difference, I'll likely just keep the 2080 for a long time.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Alright, @Sazexa, I've just looked through this thread and I gotta say it's too much hardware porn in here.

What are you even using to take those pictures dude? Especially those first 3 pictures in the OP, I want to take that kind of pictures of my own rig. But have no idea how to do it ?

• Love

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Alright, @Sazexa, I've just looked through this thread and I gotta say it's too much hardware porn in here.

What are you even using to take those pictures dude? Especially those first 3 pictures in the OP, I want to take that kind of pictures of my own rig. But have no idea how to do it ?
Thank you! Some kind words. It's kind of the whole point of the build really, Just to be a nice piece of hardware porn as you call it ??

For the pictures I used a Nikon D5300, which is kind of an aging almost outdated camera at this point really. Has the stock lens on it for this photoshoot, the 18-55mm. And I use mostly Adobe Lightroom to edit my photos to give them a little bit of flair. Playing around with lighting from small table top lamps can give you some really great effects like this for PC hardware.

Reactions: Dawelio

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Small parts list update; I've been considering some AMD Ryzen CPU's, but I think for my uses the Intel chips do still edge out just slightly. I am also slightly concerned about thermals, and wanting some lower heat output so.

Instead of the i9-10900KF, I'll be going with the i9-10900F. It has a lower TDP, a lower base clock, and I believe it's PL1 and PL2 states are slightly lower as well. I don't plan on overclocking so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've also recently discovered that Corsair makes 2x32GB kits of the Dominator Platinum RGB modules. I have gotten very close to using 32GB before, so, I'll go over-kill on this note and get a 64GB kit.

I've got my ideas on how to mod my motherboard, and other aluminum pieces, set in stone. As well as shop to do some anodizing for me.

Lastly would be the introduction of the 3080. While there is absolutely zero chance of the 3090 fitting in my case, a 3080 would fit. If I find out more on the cooler design, and if I can modify that to be reanodized to purse silver as well (obviously to fit the theme) then upgrading is something I'll consider. If not, I may wait to see what the 40x0 line brings. I'll be gaming in 60 Hz and either 3,440 x 1,440 or 2,560 x 1,440 so I'm not in dire need of an upgrade yet anyways.

Reactions: namo

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
I've decided to look into the feasibility of a 3080 (and 3090) on my 600W PSU, just because I got bored. If it's actually doable or not.

The FE 3080 supposedly can draw 320 watts, while the FE 3090 supposedly can draw up to 30 more watts, 350. Perhaps around 10% power draw can be saved under-volting the GPU as well.

Going off of what I can find for the Core i9-10900F: 65W TDP, PL1 = 170W, PL2 = 224W. With under-volting I think maybe something closer to 200-210 PL2 might be more achievable.

So, some quick math here, assuming all stock. Depending on which GPU I go with that leaves me with anywhere from ~25W to ~55W of power when the CPU and GPU are at full load together to power the RAM, motherboard, SSD's, and all other accessories on/in the system. If I under-volt and get good results or have good silicon, I may be able to leave myself more like 25-50+ watts of head room on top of that.

Then again, that is if both the CPU and GPU were at max load. My three fans in the system would at best draw 5 watts, including the CPU fan. I believe my NVMe SSD's will be able to draw a peak of 6 watts each, or 12 watts together. Assuming standard power consumption, my two fan-rings might draw about 5W each, and then more LED's in the case is like 10W together as well. Add in a couple of USB 2.0 devices, which are 5W max output each, that's another 10W. So, being conservative (and not counting my motherboard's power draw) I'm looking at 50W for accessories. We'll round the motherboard power consumption to another 50W, so 100W there.

So that being said, if everything in the system was at full load without undervolting I'd assume the system would be putting out ~675 watts on a 3090, or more like 645 on a 3080. Again that's without under-volting, and both CPU and GPU at maximum load. I don't know if I'd trust a 3090 for PSU longevity, but a 3080 is likely acceptable. If I do decide to upgrade GPU's this generation, I think I'll just settle on a 3080 so I don't have to upgrade the PSU as well.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
Glad i accidentally opened this build, it's looking like it will be a cracker, keep the quality photos incoming please!

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Starting to look like delivery time for the case will be around ~January 2021. My hardware will be long since obsolete by then, but it'll still be pretty!

I've been waiting for some sleeving supplies from Mainframe Customs to come in stock, but they haven't for weeks now. Getting mildly annoyed, but, I'll survive!

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
For sure the carbon and black colours on the cables, if it's not too late yet. Although this is just my personal opinion.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, as I absolutely love it so far! Really genius (and ballsy move) with changing the SF750 PSU fan, for the Noctua. It voids the warranty I believe, but damn that Noctua fan, with an all matte black unit like that, just looks absolutely gorgeous! ?

Keep it up my man! ✌