ASUS B550-i with 3 Fans help?

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Hi
I have a Thorzone Mjolnir Case and a ASUS B550-i Mobo.
Currently running a Corsair H60 Cooler with 3 Noctura fans inside the case.

The computer is UP, posted, without issue except the fan is too loud, and that is because I am uncertain how to connect some two of the fans correctly to get a proper reading on them.
The AIO Fan is to the Max, and one of the fans is also maxed out and only one is being regulated.

on "browsing" (no twitch in background, chrome as browser)
CPU Fan 0439 rpm
Chassis Fan 1: 380 rpm
AIO Pump 4192 rpm
VRM HS Fan: 0 rpm

the GPU fan is not on.
CPU Temperature reads:
CPU: 42
Motherboard: 41
CPU Package: 53
Chipset: 72
T Sensor: N/A

My questions:
1. do i need a splitter cable so that my fans are being controlled by the MB properly? Also What goes with What? If I read the manual, there is an AIO connector and/or fan and/or chassis...but it only allows 1 Chassis Fan when i need two.
2. is anyone using a specific mod and which one to control the fans properly and regulated?
3. T Sensor: N/A and VRM HS Fan at 0 rpm - does anyone know how to fix these indicators? am i missing something?

UPDATE:
Noctua fans are:
1x NF-A12x25 PWM, 4-pin, brown
2x NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.Black.swap, 120x15mm 4-pin

Thanks

Last edited:

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
How are your Noctua fans connected to your Mainboard at the moment?
Yes, you will need a 4 pin fan header splitter to connect your casefans to one header on the mainboard - then you have to use the fan control in the BIOS to regulate them.
The T-Sensor does not show anything as you do not have a temp sensor connected. It is used to measure the water temp in custom water coolings.
VRM fan at 0 rpm is fine.

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Yes, you will need a 4 pin fan header splitter to connect your casefans to one header on the mainboard - then you have to use the fan control in the BIOS to regulate them.
Will it regulate both independently despite splitter?

How are your Noctua fans connected to your Mainboard at the moment?
I'll get back to you on this, as I have to reopen it up

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
No, all splitted fans have the same regulation. But it does not matter for casefans. Usually there is no need to regulate them at all - just set a steady speed where you cannot hear them and that is it.

Reactions: beerbuddha

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
No, all splitted fans have the same regulation. But it does not matter for casefans. Usually there is no need to regulate them at all - just set a steady speed where you cannot hear them and that is it.
I've been reading up on Y splitters. The Noctua came with a Y splitters So im uncertain why all my fans are so loud, all the time but yet when I had a mid-case it was super silent (and with less fan). I thought the AIO operates quietly

I did find the information that when having a 3 way splitter, only the 4 pin is important as the 3 pins (or others) will be on slave mode therefore will go at the same speed as the 4pin, so if the 4 pin is always at max - then the rest will be at max always also.

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
heyhey,

i do have this board too but im using it in a nr200 with 6 fans. before the nr200 i used a aio so maybe i can help.
on this board you have 3 pins for fans. 1 cpu 1 chassis and 1 aio.
you can use 2 (or maybe 3 im not sure) fans on one pin with a splitter. in bios u can even set your own curve for the aio, like i did, and stick 2 chassis fans on it.

so what you need to check is:
does your aio have one connector to the motherboard or 2?
i own a aio with just one connector that has to be used on the cpu pin., but i also have a aio that has 2 cables, one for the aio to run always at max and one for the fan that is mounted on the aio.
mostly the aio pump has to run at max speed so you definitely need to stick the cable to the aio pin.

the chassis fans must be super silent with just 380 rpm. im running those noctuas at nearly double the speed and they are barely audible.
aio pump is good and runs with full speed (check the manual where to stick the cable to) and the cpu fan and cpu temperature is really good for a 120mm aio.

what you definitely need to to with this motherboard is go into the bios where you can set your own fan curves. can be much more silent than with stock. what most people also forget or do not see is there is an option to check all the different fan speeds. takes around 2 minutes. the bios tests all the different min and max speeds of all fans.
in my case i could set the cpu fan for example to a minimum of 14% speed. before it was at 50%.
also take a look if the fans are dc or pwm in bios.

your chipset temp is kind of high for only browsing. maybe the fans are set to the chipset temp? but the rpm you wrote arent high

the y-cable that came with the noctuas must be a 4pin on all ends. its best to use the same fans (like 2x 12x15 or 2x 14x25)

Last edited:

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
the y-cable that came with the noctuas must be a 4pin on all ends. its best to use the same fans (like 2x 12x15 or 2x 14x25)
I will double check this, thanks for this possible issue. I might have triple split and split the AIO fan with the 12x15. So I will revise this.

the chassis fans must be super silent with just 380 rpm. im running those noctuas at nearly double the speed and they are barely audible.
This is what have been bothering me to no end. My PC sounds louder than a 2018 MacBook. Considering AIO+Noctua suppose to be the most silent of fans...I'm annoyed lol

does your aio have one connector to the motherboard or 2?
This is the AIO
H60 (2018) Quick Start Guide

so it is suppose to be pump tach cable to CPU_FAN + fan tach cable to a 4pin.

mostly the aio pump has to run at max speed so you definitely need to stick the cable to the aio pin.
as mentioned above.

what you definitely need to to with this motherboard is go into the bios where you can set your own fan curves. can be much more silent than with stock. what most people also forget or do not see is there is an option to check all the different fan speeds. takes around 2 minutes. the bios tests all the different min and max speeds of all fans.
Im currently using the ASUS app for the fan curve, would you recommend more to do it in the bios?
Is there a link somewhere for guidelines, or perhaps since you have a smilier setup, what would be your curves?

Thanks for all the pointers. Double checking my cables soon, just got a 3 way splitter and I got new shorter cables coming in to redo my cabling from PSU -> MB by end of week, I'll take this opportunity to revise everything mentioned

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
I will double check this, thanks for this possible issue. I might have triple split and split the AIO fan with the 12x15. So I will revise this.

This is what have been bothering me to no end. My PC sounds louder than a 2018 MacBook. Considering AIO+Noctua suppose to be the most silent of fans...I'm annoyed lol

This is the AIO
H60 (2018) Quick Start Guide

so it is suppose to be pump tach cable to CPU_FAN + fan tach cable to a 4pin.

as mentioned above.

Im currently using the ASUS app for the fan curve, would you recommend more to do it in the bios?
Is there a link somewhere for guidelines, or perhaps since you have a smilier setup, what would be your curves?

Thanks for all the pointers. Double checking my cables soon, just got a 3 way splitter and I got new shorter cables coming in to redo my cabling from PSU -> MB by end of week, I'll take this opportunity to revise everything mentioned
in bios (advanced mode) go to qfan control. here you can set the fan curves. in the upper left corner is a button called "optimize all". thats the one im talking about. try to click this first if you only have the master fans connected, not the ones you use as slave with the splitter. also take a look if "pwm" or "dc" is the activated mode because we will just use the pwm mode later.

i think its better to use the bios first and if that fails some other programm like you use. just my opinion.

what came into my mind is: you said the aio fan is running full speed and some other fan too. so i guess these 2 are connected via splitter cable but might be in the aio pump position on the motherboard. with standard settings this pin always runs all connected parts at max. you can set this to a manual mode after optimizing all fans with the bios option.
you have the pump on the cpu fan and the aio fan on the chassis slot, maybe you picked the aio slot instead. they are really close to each other.

im getting the mjolnir case soon too so i may help with troubleshooting a bit better but i would recommend these steps first:

1. Check the motherboard positions. Aio cable in cpu slot and aio fan cable in chassis slot.
2. Check the splitter cable(s). Whats the master here and the slave? It´s best to use the aio fan with 25mm alone on the chassis slot and just use a splitter with the 2 case fans as they are both 15mm and have different rpm than the bigger brother. stick these into the aio pump slot on the motherboard (yes its at maximum rpm but the bios will let us change it)
3. Check intake/exhaust. If its the mjolnir version without borg it may be best to set all to exhaust or the booster cell to intake (didnt read whats better yet). Maybe you have one fan facing the wrong direction. Thorzone has some bad communication and manuals so i hope the community will test whats best, also with the borg.
4. Check the psu cables. Maybe you need a fan grill to minimize noise and not to damage the cables/fans that are having contact.
5. Download hwinfo64 and take a look if the rpm of the fans and the temps of all parts are the same as in your asus programm.
6. Go into bios and optimize all. then you can play with the fan curves and see if it suits you needs. you can always correct the curve if something gets too loud or too hot. use the pwm mode for all the curves as all your fans can handle it. but be careful with the aio pump setting as these normally run higher than the fans to push the water into the circle. you cpu may run hot if this setting is too low. you will hear the changes as soon as you change the curve so you will know where your idling noise can get set to. while gaming with a headset you can always go high.
7. Report your results here ;)

im using a 5800x with the noctua u12a and 2 nfa 12x25 running around 600-1200 rpm depending on the temps. sounds like a summer breeze. barely audible. these 2 are connected via splitter cable on the cpu slot. 2 noctuas via splitter sitting on the top of the case in the chassis slot and 2 noctuas (yes via splitter) hanging around the aio pump slot with manual curve. so this itx board may only have 3 fan slots but you can use a lot of fans with it.

Last edited:

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
im getting the mjolnir case soon too so i may help with troubleshooting a bit better
You've helped a lot so far, appreciated.
If you have custom cables, I would recommend it because I had a hell of a time getting the cables bunch up properly with an AIO running in that case. Stock fans has room but not AIO because of the cabling.

I've since found a person on ETSY to do it with Noctua colors - looks great but still was too long until Alex (founder of Mjolnir) came out with a guide for the the cables, getting those new set EOW, with that, Ill get to re-cable and put your suggestions into play

this is the end results with the custom cable the AIO:

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
If you have custom cables, I would recommend it because I had a hell of a time getting the cables bunch up properly with an AIO running in that case. Stock fans has room but not AIO because of the cabling.

I've since found a person on ETSY to do it with Noctua colors - looks great but still was too long until Alex (founder of Mjolnir) came out with a guide for the the cables, getting those new set EOW, with that, Ill get to re-cable and put your suggestions into play

Good to hear.
I bought the custom cables from pexonpcs a while ago. Alex from thorzone mentioned them in the mjolnir thread.
The thing was i bought the case in the beginning of last year as i started to build a gaming pc. Sff. Just loved the look of the mjolnir. Now a year later i have a sffpc that suits my needs and will sell the mjolnir. Couldnt wait a year for gaming...nr200 is awesome

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022

i´ve seen pictures where people turned the psu around so the cable routing may become easier to handle. will try that when the case arrives. the aio fan has more space then = more air to push through = cooler cpu

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
i´ve seen pictures where people turned the psu around so the cable routing may become easier to handle. will try that when the case arrives. the aio fan has more space then = more air to push through = cooler cpu

That is actually my setup. "easy" is relative considering the big cables of the AIO

Reactions: PoneG

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
1. Check the motherboard positions. Aio cable in cpu slot and aio fan cable in chassis slot.
So after some rewiring I had the following:
- AIO Block (the one that attach to the CPU) -> AIO Block
- AIO Pump to Noctua 25 fan via 4 pin splitter to CPU fan of MB
- Chasis Fan to 2x Noctua 15 fan via 4 pin splitter (letting case fan to be 4 pin, booster cell (aka exhaust case fan) to be on slave)

I've since inverted the CPU / IO around now it is this:
- CPU Fan connected to AIO block
- AIO Pump to Noctua 25 fan via 4 pin splitter
- Chasis Fan to 2x Noctua 15 fan via 4 pin splitter (letting case fan to be 4 pin, booster cell (aka exhaust case fan) to be on slave)

unknown if this will help or not, but I have the riser coming in on Monday, so I can always switch to the recommended settings.
4. Check the psu cables. Maybe you need a fan grill to minimize noise and not to damage the cables/fans that are having contact.
Yes I've had some cable snags in the past where the computer won't even post. So I've since put grills on both the Noctua (the one on top of the AIO 120mm) and the Noctua 15 (as that passage way is the one that I rope some of the splitter onto

If the noise doesn't calm down, then my next step will be as per your recommendation is to put the two chassis fan on the AIO block instead, the AIO fan onto the chassis fan, then CPU fan -> AIO CPU block.

Reactions: PoneG

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
you have the pump on the cpu fan and the aio fan on the chassis slot, maybe you picked the aio slot instead. they are really close to each other.
they are all close together lol
CPU | AIO | CHASIS

my biggest issue is the AIO block itself (the one that attach to the CPU) requires a SATA attachment, then that attach to where? is it the CPU FAN or is it the AIO.

I have since bought a 3 way splitter instead of a simple 2 way splitter.

As It stands from the current rewiring - watching with Windows Media Player. 30 Chrome tabs (no twitch):
- im getting some 57-56 degree CPU
- Motherboard at 44
- CPU Package 49
- Chipset: 71

Fan speed:
- CPU Fan: 4166 RPM
- Chassis Fan 1: 461 rpm
- AIO Pump: 478 rpm

I've also done as suggested was to poke the Optimized All from BIOS. it recalibrated a few things. (BIOS had it on Standard and set to DC for CPU instead of PWM)

Next suggestions?

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
So i went back with:
AIO PUMP -> AIO PUMP
Noctua 25mm -> CPU FAN (via splitter 4 pin, made sure connected to 4pin)
Noctua 15mm x2 -> Chassis Fan

Values are:
- CPU FAN 0899 rpm
- Chassis FAN 1 - 672 rpm
- AIO Pump - 4205 rpm

Temp:
- CPU : 51
- MB: 47.0
- CPU Package: 63
- Chipset: 77

Using apple watch Noise App: 55 dB

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
I think I will be disabling the booster cell (1 case fan) and see what will be the result of the noise / thermal

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
Hey bud. I have 4 fans now. All exhaust except cpu.
1 12x25 next to psu. Its on the chassis port.
2x 12x15. Thats one next to mainboard and one on the booster cell. Its on the aio port and with y cable.
1x 9x14 on cpu

I used the armoury crate from asus and the ai suite 3 also from asus to set the curves.
The 3 exhaust fans are running around 1k rpm all the time. Noise is barely audible.
The cpu fan runs higher. But thats because it it just 90mm. You can hear it quite good but im fine.

As i cant get into the bios with this riser cable (graphic errors) i used the asus programs. You can change alot there. You will run good with the ai suite.
You can rest all fanspeeds first and set curves for the aio connected fan f.e.
We can pm if you want. In german

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
One question:
How did you connect the booster cell fan?
Did you use a splitter right from thefan or via the booster cell cable (white head)

Iveread that the radiatorfan(noctua) should be at cpu port. And the pump to any other with max speed. Thats the 4k rpm it needs to function

Last edited: