MODZERO JUICE - NFC SYSTEMS S4 MINI #80

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
This looks great! I'm curious...what are the spacings between the slim fan and the GPU radiator like? (There will be two with the multiple heights of the radiator)

While I like the aesthetics of the slim fan a lot more, if the performance isn't there, I'm not sure I would keep it.

As the fan is wider then the dip on the GPU heatsink, the two sit flush. That middle area has about a 5mm gap. I'm utilizing that space to run the sleeved Fan cable. I'm glad you like how it's shaping up. I'm not sure If I'll keep it this way either.. I'd planned to swap it out today and rerun the tests with the reference cooler fitted, but the day ran away from me. Tomorrow maybe.

Considering the size of the casefan, I don't think performance will be down. Most GPUs use slim fans too and this one seems to be atleast a few sizes larger.

It's certainly bigger, but the Scythe does have a much larger dead zone due to the larger bearing.

A possible reason for the drop in performance with the Scythe fan is probably because fans generate most of their pressure/airflow at the outer edge of the fan blade, looking at the photo nearly half of the outer edge of the Scythe fan is not positioned over of the heat sink.

True, however the fan blades deliver the air directly over the heat-piped fins of the heat sink. I think this is way the performance is on par. I swap it out and test again.

J.

Reactions: Phuncz and |||

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com

UPDATE 3.0

Things have moved along a little further so I'm back again to share my progress. A few things have happened since update 2.0. NFC hooked me up with a couple extra side panels for whats coming up next, I bought some EK Monarch blocks for the RAM (not they'll be WC'd) to provide a little extra height between the DIMMs and the PSU.. lets start there, RAM.

I'd never removed the heat spreaders from RAM before... years ago back when all RAM came naked, I added heat spreaders a time or two but never this way round. It was easy enough, I used a low temp on my heat gun and gently warmed up one side of the RAM at a time. Once warm I slid plastic card (like a gym or library card) in under the heat spreader. Repeated that a few times and off they popped.

They look much better now.

The majority of my free time over the last couple weeks has been spent on the wiring. I mentioned last time I'd intended on replacing the stock (thinner AWG) wires with new cables made with thicker 18AWG black wire. Well that turned into an epic battle between the function vs aesthetic gods..

Oh, I put the cooler back on the GTX1060, it's a much tighter fit but the cooling (mainly noise) is so much better for it. I'll look at tarting it up a little down the road. The odd thing is.. the orange on the cooler matches the orange on the 960 EVO drive. As they are, the only two components you see on that side of the chassis, it sorta works... as is... But I guess we'll see.

But anyway, you can see the 6PIN GPU cable. The stock HDPLEX cable is yellow/black 21 AWG (not sure...) wire with a single 8-PIN at the PSU end and a 6+2 x2 at the other. Strapped up, fitted, you could barely see the new cable.

But then things started to get complicated, well, crowded. I made the 8PIN EPS which turned out okay considering it had to bypass the 24pin to be routed correctly. However the 24pin is where the battle truly begun. The thicker AWG added a lot of bulk compared to the stock HDPLEX cable (if you were to simply cut the stock cable to length). I reassembled the build and booted her up. everything worked a treat. But they really ain't much to look at..

So the war begun.

I don't know who struck first, wire or sleeve. But we know that is was me that scorched the ends

Bare black wires certainly look better then the HDPLEX cables but it's not much of a build without some sleeved goodness. Firstly, I had decided I had plenty of room to sleeve the EPS and GPU cables. I also took the HDPLEX power connector cable desoldered the stock wire, replaced with new wire and sleeved them.

ATTEMPT TWO:

I hated this when I did it*. the EPS cable looked smart, clean, the cable combs made a color combo work and pulled your focus. But the 24pin looked fat and untidy. I didn't like that the power switch red cables popped as they were much shorter then the others. I knew I didn't have enough room to sleeve all 24 but felt as the positioning would hide the others, sleeving a few would add something.

*annoyingly, looking at it now. I kinda like it.

The EPS was different, half the wire needed to remain bare in order to pass under the 24pin to get to its PSU connection. It was the pattern I didn't like. I love the colors, the chassis pulls cues from certain 'M' class BMWs with it's estoril blue paint job. The sleeve was picked to highlight aspects of the motherboard (the red DIMM and PCI slots) and to further that BMW scheme connection. The colors are a combination of the brand logo and the 'M' logo. So first time round It looked like this, a repeating pattern. But with only 8PINs it's too much and with only 6PINs for the GPU and 4PINs on the power cable.. I could not repeat the same pattern.

So it didn't last.

ATTEMPT THREE:

I swapped the red switch sleeve for black and took the color out the 24pin. I went with 3 black to cover the bare wire beneath and one gray to pull in the Noctua Redux fan. I also redid the EPS wire (I didn't take a better photo...) I needed a pattern based on 4 wires, something I could repeat on the GPU and power cables. So I did. The EPS became gray, blue, light blue, red. With the remainder in black.

I repeated the same for the GPU to match the EPS. At this point, had gone with 2x blue 2x grey on the power cable. It was getting there, but I still didn't like it. The 24pin still looked fat and untidy, I liked the use of combs on the GPU cable and was happy I'd found a pattern I liked but by matching the EPS it meant that you mainly saw the grey, red, black wires on the GPU cable when really you could only see the grey, blue, light blue on the EPS. So they looked totally different.

So it wasn't to be.

ATTEMPT FOUR:

I had to do something about my fat untidy 24PIN. The main problem I was/am having is the 24PIN sits higher on the mobo then it's bottom edge on the PSU. So the cut lengths have to allow for a bridge type bend in the middle, A: to allow the PSU end to connect lower then the mobo and B: to run that 8PIN EPS under it.

So this time round I thought I'd sleeve four cables all black on the 24PIN to hide the wires underneath. I also trimmed a few to drop the high point on the cluster of wires. I bound them to pull them in tight under the sleeved cables above.

Which worked (for the most part).. it dropped the 24PIN cluster enough to make the 4PIN power cable (now grey, blue, light blue, red pattern) sit above it.

I also took the GPU cable and flipped it, so the pattern would show more of the blues. Added more combs to the GPU and power cable then reworked how the power cable routed through the chassis to the PSU.

and that's where I'm at... do I like it? no. Do I like it better then the previous attempts? sure. I don't really like the look of cable combs and don't feel my runs are quite on point. But I keep telling myself it's not finished.. I've got the back plates coming and the frame side panel to come, then a glorious tempered glass pane to finish it off. So for now, I'm leaving it. I need to move forward with those two bits. Once they are in, If I still don't like, I'll try again. It's all a process.

Thanks for checking it out. What do you think? Should I go back to bare wire? try a different color combination? rework the lengths? or do you like it?

J.​

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
I like the use of bare and sleeved cables, it's both functional and ties in the build theme. Do you think that the older style HDPlex DC-ATX is helping or hindering your cable management?

Love all the progress so far. Doing some porcelain browsing so IDK if you covered the performance benefit of the larger fan on the NH-L9i yet.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Like the Grey and black sleeving, feel like red is not really needed. Blue accents look nice.

You should have saved your 'failed' wire harnesses and sold them to people who suck at sleeving lol.

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
Build is looking fantastic! I'm not a huge fan of red but it does help tie in the color of the motherboard. I was also thinking of using ek waterblock on the ram in my build!!

I'm curious about the redux fan and l9i like everyone else....

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Remember to remove the 120mm slim fan bracket! You won't be able to use them and removing them will make the build look even cleaner :D

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
I like the use of bare and sleeved cables, it's both functional and ties in the build theme. Do you think that the older style HDPlex DC-ATX is helping or hindering your cable management?

Love all the progress so far. Doing some porcelain browsing so IDK if you covered the performance benefit of the larger fan on the NH-L9i yet.

I'm not too sure. The HDPLEX pin-out is great! it's mirrored (like silverstone) which is about as good as it gets... why someone hasnt developed a straight through (like extentions) I dont know. However even with this, it means the cable is twisted. It's less obvious on the 250w model are the 24PIN is 90' to the motherboard. With the 300W, whilst the placement on the pcb seems better I don't know which way the connection is mounted on the board (I've not really looked at it closely enough). The 250w is a great product thats for sure. I'm certain if you just shortened the included cables the 24PIN wouldnt as much of a pain as it's being with these thicker wires. I'd like to know about the 300W.. I'm off to have a look.. haha.

RE the fans, I've not tested one against the other. I much prefer the look of the Redux, with the way I'm modding the chassis it's a keeper. It won't fit a standard S4 MINI (well, kinda... you can get the panel back on... but I'd not recommend it.. it's a pressure fit).

Like the Grey and black sleeving, feel like red is not really needed. Blue accents look nice.

You should have saved your 'failed' wire harnesses and sold them to people who suck at sleeving lol.

Thanks, I know what you mean about the 'red', I'm on the fence whether or not to pull them in place for more blue.

I never would have thought to partially sleeve a 24 pin, but you sold me on it. It looks amazing dude, like seriously. And I know how hard it is to build in a MINI and get clean results. :D

Thanks buddy, it's certainly a challenge to get that clean run cabling finish when there is nowhere to hide them. It's not quite there yet, but it's making progress. I'm hoping with some training I'll be able to reduce the bulge on that 24PIN a little more to sit the 4PIN power cable between the RAM and PSU flush.

That cabling is sick! How do you like the 25mm fan/nh-l9i combo so far? I have been curious about that config for a while now.

I always figured the 25mm Redux fan and the L9i would be too tall. Isn't the total height 47mm?

It is too tall you're right. just! by maybe 2-3mm if that.. you can still get the side panel back on but it applies a fair pressure on the fan, I'd not run it that way.

I'm using it as I'm modding that side panel. Josh sent me a couple extra panels to work with. The current plan being, I'm working in Fusion to turn the stock panel into a frame, on which four mounting points will be fitted and a pane of tinted tempered glass attached. The frame will be a small bezel approx 10-12mm all the way round (except for the four mounting points) I'll attach four standoffs (I'm working this bit out...) to hold the glass clear of the chassis approx 5mm. That'll provide plenty of clearance for the 25mm fan as not to effect it's performance and the raised position will allow for efficient airflow (I hope).

Thanks for the continued input and positive feedback folks. It's great appreciated.

J.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Thanks buddy, it's certainly a challenge to get that clean run cabling finish when there is nowhere to hide them. It's not quite there yet, but it's making progress. I'm hoping with some training I'll be able to reduce the bulge on that 24PIN a little more to sit the 4PIN power cable between the RAM and PSU flush.
Nonetheless, amazing cable management thus far; you have given me many good ideas for my upgrade... UV Siamese 2 coming to the forum soon!

It is too tall you're right. just! by maybe 2-3mm if that.. you can still get the side panel back on but it applies a fair pressure on the fan, I'd not run it that way.

I'm using it as I'm modding that side panel. Josh sent me a couple extra panels to work with. The current plan being, I'm working in Fusion to turn the stock panel into a frame, on which four mounting points will be fitted and a pane of tinted tempered glass attached. The frame will be a small bezel approx 10-12mm all the way round (except for the four mounting points) I'll attach four standoffs (I'm working this bit out...) to hold the glass clear of the chassis approx 5mm. That'll provide plenty of clearance for the 25mm fan as not to effect it's performance and the raised position will allow for efficient airflow (I hope).
Really looking forward to seeing this mod...

Thanks for the continued input and positive feedback folks. It's great appreciated.

J.
No, thank you for sharing this build and with detailed pics and descriptions!!! Cheers.

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com

UPDATE 4.0

Back again with another little update. Not a great deal has progressed over the last couple weeks (mad how quickly these weeks seem to fly by) my other half is unwell, and caring for her is slowing things down. Which, in this moment, made me think of this scene from Monty Python the Holy Grail... start at 0:50.

Hahaha, so, whats cracking. well, a few things. Firstly, I'm redoing all the cables. But I'm doubling up rather then starting over. Which meant another visit to E22.

I've bought enough terminals and wire/sleeve to make a second 24pin. I had an idea to separate the two rows of 12 wires, dropping one row down, to run along side the other. It's difficult to visualize but I think the end result could be good. keeping the bulk of the 24PIN down at the floor of the chassis. It's just an idea, we'll see how it turns out. If it's a success and I'm left with enough supplies I'm going to make a second (third if you count the factory HDPLEX cables) set of EPS and GPU cables. I'm pretty happy with those as they are, but whilst I'm waiting on some of these other bits (I'll cover them a little further down) it's nice to stay busy. Plus, I'm going to drop the red from the sleeve pattern and maybe the lighter blue too.

The extra two side panels turned up (Thanks again Josh) in a textured black powder coat (which I really like). But it's gotta go. A buddy has a homemade sand blaster set up in his garage (he uses it to engrave and sell slate souvenirs), he thinks he can strip the powder coat with relative ease (I'll take some pictures when he goes it, let you know how it goes).

Once stripped, I'll be sending both panels down to the wonderful B-NEG for some special attention. Dan is going to CNC the middle section of the panel and and cut the mounting points for the glass. I'm currently working on the CAD for this, although it's not going that well. Fingers crossed, the blasting will happen next week and I'll be able to get the panels off to NEG in time for his next visit home.

I had been on the fence with this one.. originally I'd wanted to fit a small 12x2 display into the Alu wrap-around of the chassis. The inner chassis frame has a perfect cut out for this directly behind the GPU and if you were so skillfully inclined you could pull it off. Only I've gone with a GPU that is at the upper limits for the S4 Mini to house comfortably and to mount such a display directly behind such a GPU, whilst possibly, maybe, possible... it would certainly have a knock on effect to your thermals, perhaps damage the display too (pretty sure they are rated <60'c).

So what to do..

Well, I bought a bigger one. THIS ONE to be exact. I know I've already mentioned it, but if you're in the UK, the guys over at Kustom PCs do a bang up job. They have a truly great selection of products. I used one years back on a build I'd done in the Silverstone FT03.

They are great little displays and very easy to program. I was looking at the layout of the motherboard and spotted the internal USB header is placed just below the PCI slot (the display is USB), and once I've put the glass side panel on it's not as though this build has lots of epeen watercooled glory to behold. so I thought..

The USB header is directly beneath it, making connecting it simple and clean. The module is the exact width to nicely fill that space between CPU and GPU too.

Mounting it should work out pretty well too. I plan to use the 120mm fan mounting holes above the IO. I'm working on the design atm (I'll share my designs in the next update). The plan is to frame the display, with the mount also framing the the Noctua cooler (on two sides). That should nicely hide the IO and cover the nasty green PCB on the display. I'm working on the mount being made from 3mm ALU which I'll powder coat along with the side panel frame to match the rest of the internal powder coating. If it all goes to plan the mounted position of the screen will run flush with the GPU once that has it's custom back plate.

That's it for now. I'm hoping as my other half continues to recover I'll be able to put more time back in to this, I'm pushing to have the CAD work finished in the coming week so I can finalize dimensions for the mounts on the glass. I'm attending Insomnia 60 in April and this is coming with me.. so ultimately that's the completion goal.

Hope you enjoyed this little progress report, I'll come back soon with designs for you guys to give me some feedback on.

Cheers

J.​

Lutfij

Chassis Packer
Modworkx Customs
Mar 4, 2016
www.modworkx.com
I've been officially sleeping under a rock to not know this project existed! :eek:

This is one hell of a build log and one hell of a cabling work inside that tight chassis!

Reactions: ricochet

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
Simply... WOW! Very neat idea and perfect location for that display screen... how ingenious of you. Well played!

I've been officially sleeping under a rock to not know this project existed! :eek:

This is one hell of a build log and one hell of a cabling work inside that tight chassis!

wow, amazing work!

Thanks folks, annoyingly things haven't moved much since that last update.LAN is but a few weeks away now and I'm certain I'll be taking JUICE.

I will be back soon with an update.

J.