Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

leafcutter

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 29, 2020
I know it is a moot point, because decisions have already been made...

And I know there are those who will get all butthurt about this, because how dare anyone have an opinion...!

I, after all my bitching & whining, will not be getting this chassis because I do not want to buy a PCIe riser cable to replace the one it comes with (W360 sez I need a longer riser cable to get around the extra bit of the mDTX mobo)...

Looks like it will be a Cooler Master NR200 while I wait and see what the DanCase C4-SFX (which would limt me to a 240 AIO or a slim 140 fan in one of the fan slots on a 280 AIO to clear the SO-DIMM.2 daughtercard) or the FormD T1 EVO bring to the table...! ;^p

And I am really not wanting to get into a chassis with a riser cable, seems direct GPU to mobo is the way to go for reliability & getting all one can get out of their PCIe Gen4 system...!!!

New High Hopes for T1 EVO in a traditional mode (GPU -> mobo; no PCIe riser cable) being the solution for my C8I woes...?!?
Boil, you are a popular one. The common denominator for your C8I woes in this thread and other case concept threads on this forum seems to be... the mDTX board itself, that you and 3 other people in the world use. Perhaps consider a switch to the small form factor of ITX, which has a large user base and thus being an attractive market for case maskers?

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
The cable you linked on Amazon might not fit because it will hit the Side Panel on the GPU-side. You might bend in a way that it would but there could possibly be no space. You should buy the right adapter/cable angled like followed: this Adapter will run out of the case making disconnecting the DP-cable easy.

Look at 4:13 ->
There is definitely enough space to fit a 90 degree cable (the one that bends towards the sidepanel) without any issues and route it through the back, lots of space there.

Onus

Caliper Novice
Jan 2, 2021
@Wahaha360 can you maybe consider selling pcie gen 4 riser cables separately? for 60 - 80 $ it would be a fair price, nobody expects a 120$ shipping with a riser that is half the price on the public market.

Honestly: A 4.0 Cable for a reasonable price is everything we (we as in "the guys who are putting not just 1000$ into their System") needs. Because you are also involved in a lot of other cases a possible supply chain would be beneficial to a lot of projects, wouldn't it?

I really considering this case, but if it turns out, that no cable fits - it will be a no-go for a lot of people.

without PCIe 4 there arent any SAM or resizable bar features and for a 1000-3000$ Build it's just not okay to don't have a future proof pc regarding gpu features.

Reactions: Kizzster

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Boil, you are a popular one. The common denominator for your C8I woes in this thread and other case concept threads on this forum seems to be... the mDTX board itself, that you and 3 other people in the world use. Perhaps consider a switch to the small form factor of ITX, which has a large user base and thus being an attractive market for case maskers?
Pretty sure there are more than three of these boards out there; and I know what ITX is, thanks...

The issue really is not the mDTX board itself, which should fit in any chassis that holds an ITX mobo & GPU, with the GPU directly mounted to the mobo...

It is that damned daughtercard that "rears its ugly head" and has physical interference issues with various components...

Here is the real deal; I asked numerous times about C8I compatibility in Mesh-Licious & was lead to believe it would work, until it wouldn't. Then I was informed it would work, but is unsupported, and I would need to replace the PCIe riser cable that comes with the chassis...

On the C4-SFX side of things; the specs state "DTX" support (which should be labeled mDTX), but there is no note indicating that actually means with a 240 AIO only, or a 280 AIO if one of the fans is a slim model (one would have to dig thru the last half dozen or so pages of the thread to find that info)...

When I was looking at the WinterOne, I asked about mDTX support, and emphasized the SO-DIMM.2 issue; Winter stated he did not take the height of the daughtercard into consideration & then immediately corrected his specs reflecting that W1 was ITX-only... So, sad that chassis would not work, but appreciative the designer took immediate action to correct his spec sheet...!

Now we have the T1 EVO, which I have hope for (in traditional layout, GPU attached directly to mobo), but at this point I fear the backlash I will receive if I were to ask any questions in the thread...!

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
@Wahaha360 can you maybe consider selling pcie gen 4 riser cables separately? for 60 - 80 $ it would be a fair price, nobody expects a 120$ shipping with a riser that is half the price on the public market.

Honestly: A 4.0 Cable for a reasonable price is everything we (we as in "the guys who are putting not just 1000$ into their System") needs. Because you are also involved in a lot of other cases a possible supply chain would be beneficial to a lot of projects, wouldn't it?

I really considering this case, but if it turns out, that no cable fits - it will be a no-go for a lot of people.

without PCIe 4 there arent any SAM or resizable bar features and for a 1000-3000$ Build it's just not okay to don't have a future proof pc regarding gpu features.
What riser do you suggest he includes? As far as I know, there are no fully certified PCIe 4.0 risers yet, just that are mostly 4.0 capable with some hardware.

That's fine for a smaller more niche manufacturers. But for a mass market mainstream case, marketing it as 4.0 capable while it might not work with all hardware combinations is an absolute no go.

I see a whole lot of complaining about compromises being made for this to be an affordable mainstream case, there are other options out there if you want to spend an absurd amount and wait a long time, so if these compromises aren't okay in your eyes, why not just get one of those?

Reactions: ellroy80

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@confusis
LOL, I just noticed we both have that "I am done with humanity" stare in our avatar pics...!?!
It's my "I'm done with people claiming large form factor is better" look :p

Anywho,

I've noticed a lot of negativity, rude responses and other uncalled for behaviour in this thread. Remember folks, rule #1 here is be civil and courteous to other members. I love how passionate this community is, but sometimes it can go too far, and this thread is evident of that.

Be nice, folks! This is just a computer case!

JohnnyGrey

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 9, 2021
So, do you guys see any issue with using the glass panel on the mobo said and a mesh on the GPU side with a Kraken on the front for an AIO? Thats my current plan.

Also...did they low-key announce the pre-order and estimated ship date?
I may have just registered in anticipation of this case (thanks to Optimum Tech), but I think the only issue would be cooling for the VRMs. Assuming your front AIO intake (assumed) fans provide enough airflow over the mobo, then I don't foresee a problem.

As far as I know, from this thread, Feb 8th is the preorder? No idea on ship date. All of the other really-small-production-run ITX cases are little out of my price range, especially considering I have to buy a new SFX PSU, so I'm really looking forward to this. my other option is the XTIA Xproto-L, which is equally as cool.

For all others, do you foresee any issues using a standard modular ATX PSU? I'm still rocking an archaic BFG EX-1200 (Rest In Piece). It's a standard size, but I'm concerned with cable length.

Kizzster

Cable Smoosher
Jan 8, 2021
90 Degree / Right Angle HDMI 1.4 cable comes in the box. But, 90 Degree / Right Angle DisplayPort cable is not. Note these are cables and not adapters. See the FAQ and Accessories section.

The adapter in your link is rated ''4096x2160@144Hz 4:4:4 8bit'' in Lindy spec. So, 160Hz is not supported natively.
Do DP 1.4 adapters negatively effect performance in any way? I've always wondered this. Or should it be 100% fine?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Do DP 1.4 adapters negatively effect performance in any way? I've always wondered this. Or should it be 100% fine?
An adapter should not affect the performance, if it is designed and constructed properly. And you just cannot tell from the outside. So, one cannot be 100% sure until one actually uses the adapter.
Personally, I would prefer to use a cable that already has an right-angled end rather than to use an right-angled adapter connected to another straight cable. One fewer component and one fewer connection mean smaller chance to go wrong. Simplicity is beautiful.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Displayport can be a tad finnicky at times if you're using a long or low quality cable, adding an extra adapter even if its a decent quality one, could cause issues, especially if you're pushing the limits.

Reactions: Kizzster

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Anywho,

I've noticed a lot of negativity, rude responses and other uncalled for behaviour in this thread. Remember folks, rule #1 here is be civil and courteous to other members. I love how passionate this community is, but sometimes it can go too far, and this thread is evident of that.

Be nice, folks! This is just a computer case!

sorokyl

Chassis Packer
Dec 29, 2020
resizable bar is a PCIE3.0 feature. nobody really knows to what extent all the players involved will support it yet, but from a technical stand point, there's no real benefit of pcie 4 right now.

By the time pcie4 is necessary, there should be cables (assuming cables are possible) available for your needs. I don't think Lian Li necessarily cares to go and figure out a pcie 4 gen riser for this $120 case.

The worst part about a pcie gen 3 riser is it may be a hassle to get set up, as you may need a gen3 card or to mount in socket to change bios settings. This will be especially painful with water loops, but my plan is to unplug riser from mobo, insert a new riser attached to a cheap old GPU I have laying around whenever I need to flash bios. It's just part of doing silly things like building powerful watercooled PCs in tiny cases. There are tradeoffs.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
I’m new to all the PCIE4 , I recently purchased Asus Strix B550-I for this build , I’m assuming I shouldn’t get a Gen4 SSD if I’m not getting gen4 riser at first as it wont be running full speed , as I’m assuming the front gen4 m.2 slot and the PCIe slot are both affected selecting Gen3 or Gen4 mode?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I’m new to all the PCIE4 , I recently purchased Asus Strix B550-I for this build , I’m assuming I shouldn’t get a Gen4 SSD if I’m not getting gen4 riser at first as it wont be running full speed , as I’m assuming the front gen4 m.2 slot and the PCIe slot are both affected selecting Gen3 or Gen4 mode?
I think the PCIex16 slot (for display card) and the M.2_1 (for SSD) both receive their PCIe 4.0 lanes from the CPU (ie not from the chipset B550).
And, the Asus B550I BIOS manual seems to suggest that both can be independently adjusted regarding the link mode. I suppose, [Auto] is Gen4 for the PCIEX16 and M.2_1 Link Modes.