Prototype SF-ATX Aluminum mainstream case (CX2 update)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Sunmil BG3 is
Any chance you are still considering making a mount to put the PSU in the front of the case so short PCIe cards could be used in the lower slots like was discussed on the original CX2 design?

Below is a picture to give you an idea of what I am saying. There would definitely need to be some thought on which way to face the PSU for cable routing, but I think it might be worthwhile.

Already supported 😛

Brackets are on tracks = can move it along the bottom or front.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hi :)
Just wanted to check whether front and top fans will be 140 mm
Rgds,
M
Front and top rad support is 280mm. Render pic in top post shows the fans flushing with the rad.
So, it is pretty safe to say the fans will all be 140mm.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
Will the case take dual 280s?
edit: I'm dumb, read the first post.

Where would the 280s go? Top and bottom?

Badasser

Cable Smoosher
May 18, 2020
Wow, CX2 lives on! I had given up hope on it being released but am pleasantly surprised to see this iteration after checking for the first time in a few months. Can’t wait to see how it goes.

Reactions: Timothy

jae

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 16, 2021
I like the design. What kind of side panel options will there be? Will solid ones be available?

Without the horns, are the corners still "square"?

With a chamber behind the motherboard for psu this would probably be my perfect case, albeit maybe getting on the bigger side of "SFF".

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I really like the configuration where the GPU is vertical. Perhaps make sure there is a bit "spare"-space above the motherboard though, for the radiator and fans. Seems a bit tight in the picture.

Another thing is the pcie riser for vertical GPU. Make sure the case does not depend on a specific version/brand of the riser. Because the riser slot must match the pcie slot holes behind the GPU. If the riser is mounted to the bottom, and cannot be adjusted freely, there is a chance some risers will not match. A bit hard to explain, but maybe you know what I mean. Perhaps solvable by mounting the riser to some kind of bracket on the bottom, that can be adjusted freedly, and that also gives solid support to the GPU to prevent sagging.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
With this case configuration, would there be enough width on the motherboard side to fit standard height GPU in normal horizontal position?
(Assuming elbow adapters are used for the PCIe power connectors.)

Unfortunately no. The case would have to be much wider, and I don’t want to make a cube case.

Myk

Efficiency Noob
Apr 29, 2020
Unfortunately no. The case would have to be much wider, and I don’t want to make a cube case.
Please leave room for couple of 120 / 140 mm Noctua's at the bottom :) as my RTX 3090 is consistently sitting at 80'C-90'C while playing @ 4K resolution even after thermal pads were changed.

Reactions: AlexKravKing

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I'm assuming that for the final product, the rear and bottom will be closed off with steel panels right? I'm assuming the wide open renders with no panels are just for showcasing the internal layout. Or is it the actual design intent for this case to be the open frame style (like the Thermaltake P5 or CM MasterFrame 700)?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I'm assuming that for the final product, the rear and bottom will be closed off with steel panels right? I'm assuming the wide open renders with no panels are just for showcasing the internal layout. Or is it the actual design intent for this case to be the open frame style (like the Thermaltake P5 or CM MasterFrame 700)?

All aluminum is the plan atm, including bottom and rear panels.

The goal is to make the price more flexible by offer back and bottom as *optional. Effectively, the case is rigid enough without back and bottom, because there are support rails in place, doing so offers 1) better price, 2) better cooling.

If you want or need back panel, just pay more and maybe 3-5C worse.

Last edited: