Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

sorokyl

Chassis Packer
Dec 29, 2020
Given my experience with the 3090, I might go with an all air setup instead of my 240 AIO and have high airflow intake fans instead of a radiator to move all that hot air out of the system.
With a traditional GPU cooler? It wants to pull air from in front of it (side panel in this case) and exhaust out the sides. If you do intake from the front of the case and exhaust out the side mesh panel, you're working against the GPU and are probably recirculating a lot of hot air into the fan.

Fans exhausting out front panel to me seems WAY better for air cooled GPU thermals. air will pull in GPU side panel, into GPU fans, and get pulled out the front of the case.

CPU is flexible either way, mount the fan pointing up or down depending on whether air is coming in or out the side mesh panel (assuming you're doing 2 mesh panels...

LcsWnbrg

Caliper Novice
Dec 28, 2020
My issue with a negative pressure setup for this case is the fact that the case would be exhausting 300+W of heat pretty much directly at me while gaming. That definitely doesn't sound very comfortable.

Of course an exhaust radiator would also raise CPU temperatures due to taking in hot air from the GPU, but it would obviously improve GPU temperatures.

I'm thinking I'll go for rad intake + air cooled GPU, then if I feel like it down the line I might splurge on a GPU water block and maybe squeeze another radiator in between the GPU and the side mesh :p
Maybe if possible it could benefit to make a small duct over the radiator to only exaust in the MB compartment and do a deshroud mod on the GPU. Casefans are quieter and have more power.

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
With a traditional GPU cooler? It wants to pull air from in front of it (side panel in this case) and exhaust out the sides. If you do intake from the front of the case and exhaust out the side mesh panel, you're working against the GPU and are probably recirculating a lot of hot air into the fan.

Fans exhausting out front panel to me seems WAY better for air cooled GPU thermals. air will pull in GPU side panel, into GPU fans, and get pulled out the front of the case.

CPU is flexible either way, mount the fan pointing up or down depending on whether air is coming in or out the side mesh panel (assuming you're doing 2 mesh panels...

Have you got any evidence to support this? I've never heard of additional airflow (from any angle) negatively impacting traditional GPU cooling

sorokyl

Chassis Packer
Dec 29, 2020
Have you got any evidence to support this? I've never heard of additional airflow (from any angle) negatively impacting traditional GPU cooling
Obviously any configuration of airflow will have some sort of impadct, and different configurations will have different impacts. Yes, "some fans" (in any orientation) is going to improve over "no fans", but I don't think anyone is considering a build with 0 case fans... so that's not relevant. The question is what's best/worst.

So the problem with traditional graphic card designs is they exhaust in 2 opposite directions only 90 degrees from the intake, and then in many traditional set ups (mounted in slot) in both directions it hits a wall (mobo or case) and has to go somewhere. The half that hits the mobo mostly goes right back in the GPU. The other side, with weak/no airflow, is gonna split 50/50.

Meshlicious is actually a bit better, because you've got clearance on both sides (esxcluding any cable mess) and a mesh panel against the face. So first try to visualize what happens to air without any case fans. Probably decent airflow actually (compared to trad case) as GPU pulls air from mesh panel and pushes it towards the back and front panels (also mesh). This is what you want, you want to expel that hot air coming towards the front panel, and you also want negative pressure pulling air from the side directly into that GPU intake which reduces hot air recirculation. Running intake fans in the front are going to push the GPUs side exhaust back towards the GPU. maybe some of it makes it out of the case next to GPU only to get sucked back in.

For both GPU and CPU air cooling, you can think "what is this cooler trying to do? Which direction does it pull cold air from? Where is it trying to send hot air?" And then help it out

Reactions: DrHudacris

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
Obviously any configuration of airflow will have some sort of impadct, and different configurations will have different impacts. Yes, "some fans" (in any orientation) is going to improve over "no fans", but I don't think anyone is considering a build with 0 case fans... so that's not relevant. The question is what's best/worst.

So the problem with traditional graphic card designs is they exhaust in 2 opposite directions only 90 degrees from the intake, and then in many traditional set ups (mounted in slot) in both directions it hits a wall (mobo or case) and has to go somewhere. The half that hits the mobo mostly goes right back in the GPU. The other side, with weak/no airflow, is gonna split 50/50.

Meshlicious is actually a bit better, because you've got clearance on both sides (esxcluding any cable mess) and a mesh panel against the face. So first try to visualize what happens to air without any case fans. Probably decent airflow actually (compared to trad case) as GPU pulls air from mesh panel and pushes it towards the back and front panels (also mesh). This is what you want, you want to expel that hot air coming towards the front panel, and you also want negative pressure pulling air from the side directly into that GPU intake which reduces hot air recirculation. Running intake fans in the front are going to push the GPUs side exhaust back towards the GPU. maybe some of it makes it out of the case next to GPU only to get sucked back in.

For both GPU and CPU air cooling, you can think "what is this cooler trying to do? Which direction does it pull cold air from? Where is it trying to send hot air?" And then help it out

I don't think it's anymore complicated than the gpu temperature is increased because you're blowing heated air from the CPU AIO over it on a positive pressure setup, the decision between positive/negative is simply whether you value cpu/gpu performance/heat management most.

Nearly all sandwich designs with airflow focus that I can think of hit the GPU on the side, it's an inherant part of the design, Mesh-licious is not really much different other than it trades the thermal "chimney" effect for footprint effiency.

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Seen this on Facebook

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The above applies if the mobo is an ATX format. For an ITX mobo, having one PCIe x16 slot along the edge, the display card will 'hang over' the mobo. As a result, the exhaust along the card's bottom edge will not hit the mobo directly. A properly designed chassis can take care of this exhaust quite easily. The right side panel can have openings along the bottom and let those exhaust to escape quickly in the shortest route.
Eg

Reactions: Kit and DrHudacris

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
So I messaged EKWB about the unreleased 280mm AIO and this was the response I got!

Hi,

Unfortunately we do not have a specific ETA at this time, but we are working to get it launched globally as soon as possible. Hopefully we will have some updated info within the next couple of weeks. Apologies for the wait.

Best regards,

Jake
EKWB Support Team

Kizzster

Cable Smoosher
Jan 8, 2021
There should be a buying OPTION for (Case + 1 Mesh Panel + 1 Mesh Panel) I don't care if it's $10 extra for this option I would buy it (I know Mesh is more expensive than TG). I really really like the case but for the most part it's for the enthusiast or someone who cares about thermals in SFF builds so another buying option would be ideal for all parties. I guess I'll have to wait for further reviews and see what thermals are like with that one TG panel. Also I don't know where the TG panel popularity theory comes from in SFF, What it is based on or What this case is being compared to? O11 Dynamic, XL & Mini? Anyway it is what it is.

I hope it's not too hard to implement this buying OPTION. I would hate to have my GPU running 80c+ stock, A useless TG panel that I won't use, To then buying a Mesh Panel separately in a separate order which means I'm spending $150 min and that's without other accessories I will probably need too. That's a headache.

Sorry if this seems too negative but someone has to be real here especially with the NR200 and O11 Mini (mid tower haha insert meme) being under $90!! O11M has TG panels but without a single worry, Both support Mini DTX, Both don't need accessories, Both support the longest GPU's, Both have better watercooling options, Both have native PCI-e 4.0 support so no need to strip or rebuild after bios updates!!!

Don't give me that "dead horse" answer please I'm simply inquiring about an option, I'm not demanding a change to their entire manufacturing.

But on a positive the Meshlicious is still on my mind and I'm awaiting further reviews, Definately in my 3 choices. But most likely all 3 would be out of stock lol.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
There should be a buying OPTION for (Case + 1 Mesh Panel + 1 Mesh Panel) I don't care if it's $10 extra for this option I would buy it (I know Mesh is more expensive than TG). I really really like the case but for the most part it's for the enthusiast or someone who cares about thermals in SFF builds so another buying option would be ideal for all parties. I guess I'll have to wait for further reviews and see what thermals are like with that one TG panel. Also I don't know where the TG panel popularity theory comes from in SFF, What it is based on or What this case is being compared to? O11 Dynamic, XL & Mini? Anyway it is what it is.

I hope it's not too hard to implement this buying OPTION. I would hate to have my GPU running 80c+ stock, A useless TG panel that I won't use, To then buying a Mesh Panel separately in a separate order which means I'm spending $150 min and that's without other accessories I will probably need too. That's a headache.

Sorry if this seems too negative but someone has to be real here especially with the NR200 and O11 Mini (mid tower haha insert meme) being under $90!! O11M has TG panels but without a single worry, Both support Mini DTX, Both don't need accessories, Both support the longest GPU's, Both have better watercooling options, Both have native PCI-e 4.0 support so no need to strip or rebuild after bios updates!!!

Don't give me that "dead horse" answer please I'm simply inquiring about an option, I'm not demanding a change to their entire manufacturing.

But on a positive the Meshlicious is still on my mind and I'm awaiting further reviews, Definately in my 3 choices. But most likely all 3 would be out of stock lol.

Another passive-aggresive response. 'Useless TG panel', are you unable to read what W360 wrote? For major retailers to sell the case it was a MUST, otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy it for the most part, this is supposed to be a mainstream case which means the design has to appeal to as many people as possible. Also it is obvious to someone who is able to think that the TG panel should go to the CPU side since you will be watercooling your CPU anyway and it will have little to no impact on temperatures.

And constant comparisons to the NR200 are kind of boring, NR200 is quite a bit bigger and clearly a very different case alltogether. And what is O11 even doing in this discussion? It's 3 times as large as the Meshlicious...

Kizzster

Cable Smoosher
Jan 8, 2021

Well their website says no Mini DTX support that is.

Kizzster

Cable Smoosher
Jan 8, 2021
Another passive-aggresive response. 'Useless TG panel', are you unable to read what W360 wrote? For major retailers to sell the case it was a MUST, otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy it for the most part, this is supposed to be a mainstream case which means the design has to appeal to as many people as possible. Also it is obvious to someone who is able to think that the TG panel should go to the CPU side since you will be watercooling your CPU anyway and it will have little to no impact on temperatures.

And constant comparisons to the NR200 are kind of boring, NR200 is quite a bit bigger and clearly a very different case alltogether. And what is O11 even doing in this discussion? It's 3 times as large as the Meshlicious...
I'm simply inquiring for a purchasing option but here you go with your "passive-aggressive response". No one is asking them to get rid of the TG panels from their website reIax, What's wrong with having a full mesh version AND a TG version separately for people to buy/choose from? +$30 for Mesh and +$30 for 90 degree DP 1.4 cable is ridiculous that's $200 in total. I said "Useless TG panel" because it'll be a waste for me since I prefer Mesh only. But like I said I'll wait for more reviews/changes and won't judge straight away.

I didn't say I was watercooling but would like for it to be an option in the future for myself which is also why I mentioned the O11 Mini (one of MY options) because of the insane watercooling capability and yes I know it's not SFF but if I'm going for a TG panel case it would be that personally for the "looks and RGB" mainstream. Comparisons should be made with the NR200 it's the main competitor, "kind of boring" sounds like you're being based tbh.

Mainly my options are either this or NR200, Which is why I said even for $130 I'd buy the full Mesh variant of this case. It's an easy fix, KIND OF similar to how Lian Li have 2 variants of the Lancool 2 Mesh/RGB. It's a win/win and everyone is happy :)

• Haha
Reactions: pwnedundies

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I'm simply inquiring for a purchasing option but here you go with your "passive-aggressive response". No one is asking them to get rid of the TG panels from their website reIax, What's wrong with having a full mesh version AND a TG version separately for people to buy/choose from? +$30 for Mesh and +$30 for 90 degree DP 1.4 cable is ridiculous that's $200 in total. I said "Useless TG panel" because it'll be a waste for me since I prefer Mesh only. But like I said I'll wait for more reviews/changes and won't judge straight away.

I didn't say I was watercooling but would like for it to be an option in the future for myself which is also why I mentioned the O11 Mini (one of MY options) because of the insane watercooling capability and yes I know it's not SFF but if I'm going for a TG panel case it would be that personally for the "looks and RGB" mainstream. Comparisons should be made with the NR200 it's the main competitor, "kind of boring" sounds like you're being based tbh.

Mainly my options are either this or NR200, Which is why I said even for $130 I'd buy the full Mesh variant of this case. It's an easy fix, KIND OF similar to how Lian Li have 2 variants of the Lancool 2 Mesh/RGB. It's a win/win and everyone is happy :)

Except the maker of the case already said that the default combo for the 120$ price will be TG+mesh and explained the choice clearly. Maybe he offers a more expensive full mesh option but I highly doubt that, probably makes no sense from the financial standpoint.

By kind of boring, I meant the comparison, not the NR200 itself, it's a great case.

And obviously by watercooling I meant an AIO, this case is made specifically for AIOs so I see absolutely no reason someone would buy it if he wanted to aircool the CPU.

Also let's be real, you can buy a 90 degree DP cable for much less than that so hardly anyone will buy the 30$ cable from their website.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Asked and answered previously in the thread. Two new all-mesh SKUs for global distribution would cost way more than $10 over the stock configuration. It would likely cost as much as just buying a separate mesh panel, if not more. Why? Because of a combination of factors, from the logistics of producing, packing, stocking and transporting twice the number of SKUs (which, to be clear, is very complicated and work-intensive), to sales numbers (if distributors were willing to order a TG-less SKU at all it would be in much lower quantities up until a point where they could see that demand necessitated increasing order quantities), to parts costs. Creating more SKUs also means increasing stock numbers throughout the manufacturing and distribution chain, and any case made/bought and not sold is a net cost to whoever has it in stock. The longer it sits in stock, the more expensive it is, binding up money that could have been used for ordering other stock, paying bills, paying wages, etc. Twice the SKUs of a single product equals far more than twice the financial risk.

As for where we're getting TG panel popularity from: distributors. I.e. the companies that we need to buy the cases from the manufacturers to sell them on to retailers around the globe. If they refuse to touch a TG-less product, that's that. Unless there's hard data to support something else, they're not going to budge. And remember, as has been stated ad infinitum earlier in this thread, this is a mass market product. Which means mass market audiences, who generally are not overly concerned about thermals and seem to currently really like TG cases. Us enthusiasts who would prefer all mesh are a tiny proportion of the overall target market for this case.

The only way we would have any chance of getting an all-mesh SKU would be through direct sales from SSUPD, which would mean it wouldn't ship to all countries, shipping would be expensive and/or slow, etc.

As for the comparisons you are mentioning: one is a relatively mainstream ITX mid-tower heavily based on a previous design, and likely re-using a lot of tooling from previous cases, which is a massive cost savings. The other is a cheap, high-value ITX case from a manufacturer that mostly focuses on value, and it has well documented QC issues. It also has very straightforward stamped-hole metal plate side panels, not the far superior mesh material of a case like this. The Meshlicious is a premium-grade ITX case significantly smaller than both of these while delivering comparable if not superior flexibility, likely better thermals, and from a brand-new company (even having backing from Lian-Li isn't the same as being Lian-Li). Also, the NR200 is only available in the TG-equipped SKU in a lot of locations. That's certainly the case here in the Nordics, at least.