Prototype Make4 1S - 5.2L 3D Printed, HDPLEX Powered, ITX GPU

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
I'm currently live streaming as I work on the case. If you have a twitch account please chime in and give me some feedback. Would really like to get some community based modifications into the design.

-------------------------------------------------------
STATUS

I just moved from CAD design to prototyping. I've been working on this case (or derivatives) for about 2-3 years.

3D Printing has really started to come of age in the last year or two. Print quality and cost have improved exponentially.

UPDATE - Dec 8, 2017

Getting very very close to a final version. Just a few more issues to deal with.... Guessing I need just 1 more prototype.

UPDATE - Dec 6, 2017

Prototype #2 went together well and resulted in a lot of good modifications. I used some of the orange parts from Prototype #1. I wanted to share a few pictures before Prototype #2 gets cannibalized for Prototype #3.

UPDATE - Nov 20, 2017

Some pictures of the first FUNCTIONAL prototype. The aesthetics will be cleaned up a LOT. I used the colors and hardware (screws) that I had on hand.

I've been designing the case in Onshape. Here is a 3D rendering taking directly from my CAD export. I should have prototype pictures online in the next day or two.

Looks for feedback (positive and negative!).

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Ugly. Too many screws.

I'm not sure why you have so many screws in a 3d printed design. A lot of your brackets and stuff can be integrated into the chassis.

I'm also not a fan of your external cutouts amd external corner bumpers. Make the design look like a toy... Unless that was your intentions.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Ugly. Too many screws.

I'm not sure why you have so many screws in a 3d printed design. A lot of your brackets and stuff can be integrated into the chassis.

I'm also not a fan of your external cutouts amd external corner bumpers. Make the design look like a toy... Unless that was your intentions.

I have to agree with that, the case looks like it was designed by Fisher Price.

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Ugly. Too many screws.

This is just a functional prototype. I plan on building a version with aluminum plates. That's why the external cutouts are not integrated.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This is just a functional prototype. I plan on building a version with aluminum plates. That's why the external cutouts are not integrated.

If you're using laser cut aluminum, I expect the result to be expensive. If you're not using bent sheetmetal designs, I recommend exploring acrylic panels instead. You can get much faster turn around time, lower initial cost, and pretty good designs as LZ7 have demonstrated.

Even if you're using aluminum plates, it is probably best to design the case in a ways that emulates the plates. And if this is emulating aluminum plates already, with those cutouts groument done in 3D, then I recommend you make the it as internal as possible. The design is inconsistent and lacks aeshetic geometry.

It'd be a hard effort competing against designs like Mi-6, NCASE, and NFC. They have offered great designs and aesthetics. Personally, after building my 6.5L case, I think my sweet spot is 4-5L so it is unfortunate that Hutsy retired his designs.

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
If you're using laser cut aluminum, I expect the result to be expensive. If you're not using bent sheetmetal designs, I recommend exploring acrylic panels instead. You can get much faster turn around time, lower initial cost, and pretty good designs as LZ7 have demonstrated.

Even if you're using aluminum plates, it is probably best to design the case in a ways that emulates the plates. And if this is emulating aluminum plates already, with those cutouts groument done in 3D, then I recommend you make the it as internal as possible. The design is inconsistent and lacks aeshetic geometry.

It'd be a hard effort competing against designs like Mi-6, NCASE, and NFC. They have offered great designs and aesthetics. Personally, after building my 6.5L case, I think my sweet spot is 4-5L so it is unfortunate that Hutsy retired his designs.

I have CNC machine so I'll be cutting it myself. I've been testing out aluminum, ABS sheets and acrylic. I might got with a mix as well.

Reactions: owliwar

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Getting very close. Guessing 1 more prototype and she'll be ready to start manufacturing!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hi Ian!
I kinda like the aesthetic, of lots of screws and all
but, could you make it in less parts? and also the dust filters really need a frame?
the whole case is 3d printed right? some panels could already be merged with the support for screws. could shave of a few parts here an there

I like the feets but I don't know. I guess its just a little too much, though my girlfriend loved it. It might be a matter of taste.

keep on, I'd love to see the result

edit:
oh just a thought

what is the width of the case? is that a 92mm fan?
could a 120 slim fit?

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Hi Ian!
I kinda like the aesthetic, of lots of screws and all
but, could you make it in less parts? and also the dust filters really need a frame?
the whole case is 3d printed right? some panels could already be merged with the support for screws. could shave of a few parts here an there

I like the feets but I don't know. I guess its just a little too much, though my girlfriend loved it. It might be a matter of taste.

keep on, I'd love to see the result

edit:
oh just a thought

what is the width of the case? is that a 92mm fan?
could a 120 slim fit?

Thanks for the feedback!

My "final" version will be made from black panels so that all the countersunk screws will be pretty much hidden. It is a 92mm fan. I started with a 120 but it barely fit and looks out of place.

The large number of parts is actually on purpose. Reason being is that it adds structural integrity to the entire case without exponentially increasing the print-time of the case. Just for example, if say a panel is 3mm thick, I can get the strength of a 5mm thick panel by adding a vent grill, etc.

I'm leaning towards changing all the screws to flat/countersunk like the ones around the CPU cooler. I think it looks cleaner without all the hex bolts sticking out. What do you think?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks for the feedback!

My "final" version will be made from black panels so that all the countersunk screws will be pretty much hidden. It is a 92mm fan. I started with a 120 but it barely fit and looks out of place.

The large number of parts is actually on purpose. Reason being is that it adds structural integrity to the entire case without exponentially increasing the print-time of the case. Just for example, if say a panel is 3mm thick, I can get the strength of a 5mm thick panel by adding a vent grill, etc.

I'm leaning towards changing all the screws to flat/countersunk like the ones around the CPU cooler. I think it looks cleaner without all the hex bolts sticking out. What do you think?
yeah flat screws would be better.
That makes sense, keep on :)

oh, just an idea: what if you merged the front grill and front i/o ports in the same panel?

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
yeah flat screws would be better.
That makes sense, keep on :)

oh, just an idea: what if you merged the front grill and front i/o ports in the same panel?

That is actually a great idea. Those parts have gotten a little bigger and moved around, so it would totally make sense to turn that into 1 piece. I'm gonna play around with some design ideas.

IanMake4

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Going to be live streaming some stress test today on the case. GTX 1080 + 7700K. Please stop by and ask some questions. Would love some feedback.