Power Supply Looking for a sub-$50, UL-listed, 12V 240W/20A, 2.5mm barrel power supply

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
Original poster
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Nice find. Like @aquelito noted, the jack also needs to be rated for the current. I would contact Mini-box about the current rating of their jack or keep a very close eye on temperatures.
I called Mini-box for some clarification. The agent told me that as the manual states, their barrel plug is rated for up to 16A. I also checked the cable going from the barrel plug to the DC-DC PSU and it is 16-guage, which can support up to 22A for chassis wiring. Since this family member is not planning on loading it beyond just a Ryzen 5 2400G at stock settings, I feel this far more than sufficient for HTPC and light gaming duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbee

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
I called Mini-box for some clarification. The agent told me that as the manual states, their barrel plug is rated for up to 16A. I also checked the cable going from the barrel plug to the DC-DC PSU and it is 16-guage, which can support up for 22A for chassis wiring. Since this family member is not planning on loading it beyond just a Ryzen 5 2400G at stock settings, I feel this far more than sufficient for HTPC and light gaming duty.

I have been reluctant to go with 12V supplies on account of my case having that 5.5x2.5mm power port. But this shows that all jacks are not the built the same. It is indeed an eye opening discovery!