CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3
GPU: Gigabyte 1650 LP GDDR6
STORAGE: 1TB Intel 660P NVME SSD
RAM: 32GB G.Skill RGB 3600mhz
PSU: G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX
FANS: Noctua Chromax NF-A12x15 and 2x NF-A8

Thanks for looking!

Nice setup. What are your temperatures like ? Did you try with all your fans flipped (CPU fan as intake and chassis fans as exhaust) ?

Reactions: smitty2k1

Kopavi

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2020
Hello Lone:
Have you done any more thinking or tinkering with the idea of an APU case? I've received all my parts for my build in the L5 but would really like a slightly smaller footprint. I realize these cases take a lot of time, planning and thought and that you have a life outside of SFF case building so really just seeing if this idea is still alive.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
My L5 build...
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus x570i Pro Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3
GPU: Gigabyte 1650 LP GDDR6
STORAGE: 1TB Intel 660P NVME SSD
RAM: 32GB G.Skill RGB 3600mhz
PSU: G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX
FANS: Noctua Chromax NF-A12x15 and 2x NF-A8

Thanks for looking!

Nice clean build. Thanks for sharing!

Hello Lone:
Have you done any more thinking or tinkering with the idea of an APU case? I've received all my parts for my build in the L5 but would really like a slightly smaller footprint. I realize these cases take a lot of time, planning and thought and that you have a life outside of SFF case building so really just seeing if this idea is still alive.

Sorry, I haven't. I have been too busy at work and at home. I usually have more time once fall/winter hits, so it's possible I could revisit it then.

Last edited:

blisscalintz

Caliper Novice
Jan 20, 2017
Does it have cheese grating feature ?

Nice setup. What are your temperatures like ? Did you try with all your fans flipped (CPU fan as intake and chassis fans as exhaust) ?

My room runs a little hot, bad airflow from the vent. I average around 35-40c idle and 45-50c when gaming. I've only tired flipping the CPU fan from intake to exhaust which helped to stablize the temps.

Aurum

Chassis Packer
Aug 18, 2020
Hello everybody

I would like to create a new ITX system around the beautiful L5 case.

I have selected the following components so far:

MOBO: Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX
CPU: Ryzen 7 (Zen 3)*
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 or Noctua NH-L12S
GPU: Palit GTX1650 KalmX
STORAGE: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIE 4.0*
RAM: HyperX 32GB DDR-4, 3600mhz
PSU: G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX + Adapter Technology ATS200T-P120
FANS: 2x NF-A8 PWM chromax
(* not yet available)

I'm not sure about the CPU fan, Lone recommends the Noctua NH-L12S, but what about the NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 which is a bit more compact and lighter?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
what about the NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 which is a bit more compact and lighter?

It might come a bit too close to the side panel (with only roughly 5mm to breath) and thus might cause turbulence. But I have zero experience with such situation. L12S, with its fan "below" the fins shouldn't suffer from that issue. I'll let other user confirm that though.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
An email from a customer today sparked an idea for mounting the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC (not DC-ATX) in the L5 for an APU build. It's a tight fit, but it should work. The distance from the surface of a PCI card to the bottom of the case is about 40mm. My thought is having G-Unique make a blank expansion card that the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC can mount to. Ideally, for a little more clearance one could fabricate most of it out of metal, and then only use PCB for the part that mounts into the PCI slot. This would gain another 1.5mm.

Hmmmm; Wondering if you could make the back end wider (occupying two PCIe expansion slots) to somehow accommodate a standard female AC connection? Though it might require a case-mod to remove that bar that separates the two PCIe expansion slots?

Aurum

Chassis Packer
Aug 18, 2020
What do you think is a Ryzen 3800XT in terms of consumption and heat possible in the Lone L5 Case with G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX + Adapter Technology ATS200T-P120?

For cooling is the Noctua NH-L12S and two NF-A8 PWM chromax planned.

As GPU i will use a GTX1650 (without fans and undervolted), i will use the system as workstation and not for gaming.

soliddddd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2020
Has anybody found an under-table mount that works with the L5? Fully's Buddy comes close but it looks like the L5 is just a little too short for the clamp to work.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Crazy thought moment. If you had a single slot GPU (I.e that ASL 1650), would you have enough room to stick a HDPLEX 200W AC-DC in the remaining space?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Crazy thought moment. If you had a single slot GPU (I.e that ASL 1650), would you have enough room to stick a HDPLEX 200W AC-DC in the remaining space?

One slot is aprox 16-18mm wide. I don't think that would free up enough room for the 40mm wide AC-DC. But! Perhaps there'd be room for a Meanwell UHP200-24v or 12v to go with a picopsu or HDPlex DC-atx? https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/UHP-200(R)/UHP-200(R)-SPEC.PDF

The only problem is that you're blocking pretty much all air supply to the ASL card...

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
EDIT - Due to a change in circumstances, I've decided not to do this anymore, but I will leave the post for anyone wanting to try this.

Planning on doing a bonkers mod for L5 that might be heretical. I've had this idea for awhile.

Anyone remember the Mega/Sega CD add-on for the model 1 Mega Drive/Genesis? Due to my current retro game addiction and my fondness for this case, I'm thinking about desiging a 3D printed an add-on base for my Lone L5 that can house a 5.25 drive. Also going to look into seeing if you can stick a HDPLEX 400W AC-DC brick in the spare space. The base would replace the bottom cover and use it's screws. That should make it reversible.

While the more sane thing might be to just buy an ML09 or just keep using my external drive, I think it might be a fun learning experience, touch wood. Plus I hate cable mess external drives create.

Here's a rough idea:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello

gagarin61

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2021
If someone wanted to manufacture one of these cases from the STEP file, how would you go about it? Are there any services that take the file and send you the fabricated case?

luisacmaia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 4, 2021
Hello Lone. I subscribed in your site for the next batch. I was wondering, since I could a few color scheme, is there a possibility to have a white enclosure and the inside be silver?