Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

deeeeeeeeee

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2020
I should have a limited quanitty of L5 in white/black available to ship sometime in early June!
that's wonderful news! hopefully i can get my hands on one since ive been looking at getting one ever since this project was first started

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
So after spending an eon jumping around idea to idea for my currently retired Lone L5 case, I have settled on an idea for it. It will be the new chariot for my MiSTer FPGA setup.

On a more serious note, ITX mounts are beginning to show up for the MiSTer such as this one, the MiSTix. The plan will be use an external hub for controllers something that has about 7 USB ports. I've ordered in this rather unique Silverstone bracket, the SST-ECP01, that means I can power the hub directly from the PSU and avoids me needing another plug for the setup. As for the PSU I've got two options, the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX (I sold my old one a while ago) or the Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT. To be honest I'm leaning towards the latter this time and pairing it up with a 192W 12V 16A Universal AC Adapter.

That said don't expect for this to happen until July or August at the very earliest due to the classic money and time combo.

Reactions: robinpfeiffer

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Honestly really excited to finally be able to pick one of these up, I am very glad to hear you will have some G-Uniques as well. Will be buying as soon as its on the site!

Reactions: Lone

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
For the choice of Plug-in DC-ATX it seems like I might end up going with the HDPLEX. I've noticed there is a fan header on picture of the MiSTix that states 5V only. The HDPLEX supports 5V while the Mini-Box only supports 12V.

In that case does anyone know what the smallest 200W+ AC Adapter brick that is supported by the HDPLEX is? My 330W Dell brick is comically huge and overkill for this.

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Can anyone advise what external power brick would work to drive a 5600x and a 1650 with the G-Unique unit? Or would I need to look at using a HDPLEX unit so I can use one of the larger 19v dell bricks?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I've found a few ~200W 18/20/24V GaN (linky to GaN), but none have the right plug (4pins DIN, 6 pins miniFit, etc). HDPLEX 200W DC takes anything between 16V and 24V.
Curses! In that case I will use my 330W R5MR2 Dell brick in the meantime.

@Intrepid_Cosmonaut - This is the best brick to use with the HDPLEX 200W, just bear in mind this thing is big hence why I would like a smaller one.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
For the choice of Plug-in DC-ATX it seems like I might end up going with the HDPLEX. I've noticed there is a fan header on picture of the MiSTix that states 5V only. The HDPLEX supports 5V while the Mini-Box only supports 12V.

In that case does anyone know what the smallest 200W+ AC Adapter brick that is supported by the HDPLEX is? My 330W Dell brick is comically huge and overkill for this.

If the fan header says 5V, wouldn't that mean it only supports 5V fans? This shouldn't have anything to do with the PSU (all supply the same voltages to the motherboard). Looks like you might have to power your fans using a SATA connector (PWM to SATA perhaps)?

Can anyone advise what external power brick would work to drive a 5600x and a 1650 with the G-Unique unit? Or would I need to look at using a HDPLEX unit so I can use one of the larger 19v dell bricks?

I would personally use a 192W or 200W AC adapter with that combo, based on power consumption I'm seeing in reviews for that CPU. 12V G-Unique or Mini-Box are the DC-ATX that I recommend. The HDPLEX DC-ATX is rated at 200W (220W peak), generates more heat, and is much larger.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - Not sure, but I ended up buying a new HDPLEX 200W before I read your post. That said, I might use your idea with the sata to fan headers. It means I can reuse the two NF-A8's I still have on the front. Obviously overkill for the build considering what I am working with, but with some low noise adapters it should be whisper quiet compared to the 40mm fan that you would normally use. I can attach this 40mm air duct to guide the air from the two 80mm ones.

In other news, I got the Silverstone SST-ECP01.

nubbins

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2021
Super excited to see the L5 will be coming back! I originally wanted to do my iGPU/RAM OC HTPC in the L5 but ended up doing it in the HT5 because I could actually get one. Now I'm thinking I might swap my 4650G for a 5600G when I can get one, which means a perfect chance to pick up one of these for a second APU build.

And no need for international shipping either :)

Thinking of going with the HDPlex 200W as in my HT5, but with external brick this time, obviously. Anyone know if these new-gen Dell chargers will work?
Dell 180-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter with 1meter Power Cord | Dell Canada
Dell 240-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter with 1meter Power Cord | Dell Canada

Whoops, I'm an idiot, didn't read the Dell part numbers on the L5 page. Awesome, picked up the 240W.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
first thing in the morning is getting this awesome case 😂

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
those who asked Lone to have a new batch get it while you can! the case + G_Unique combo is already sold out. Case only option is still available!