Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Just bought one of the blemished covers. Very interested to see how the extra GPU ventilation will work out.

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018
finally built my lone l5 case, running passive, had to use PBO bios to make the 3400g run like 10w cpu.
a 3000g or 200ge would be more than suffice.

speeds are just 2.2ghz after severe undervolting.

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
finally built my lone l5 case, running passive, had to use PBO bios to make the 3400g run like 10w cpu.

Super cool! A single low speed front fan to pass air thru the case and the passive cpu heatsink would probably let you add quite a bit of wattage back into the cpu and still remain functionally silent. Maybe rotate the fins on the cooler to be horizontal rather than vertical if you did add a front fan.

I'm interested to see how this all performs.

Reactions: Lone

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Just placed an order this past weekend for a white/black L5 that shipped. Will it come with the extended GPU holes? If not, will non-blemished covers be available with the extended GPU holes?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Let us know how you like the internal G-Unique PSU.

Any idea on when new stock of the G-Unique units will arrive?

I'm working on placing another order, but I don't have an ETA at the moment. If you don't want to wait, I'd recommend ordering directly from G-Unique.

Just placed an order this past weekend for a white/black L5 that shipped. Will it come with the extended GPU holes? If not, will non-blemished covers be available with the extended GPU holes?

Yes, white/black will come with the extended GPU vent. It's too early to tell whether this will make any difference. Thank you for your order! :)

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018
rotate the fins on the cooler to be horizontal rather than vertical
Gury did advise me to do so, but i couldnt bring the gunique psu down to the bottom fan slot, the cabling coming out of the psu becomes facing behind the motherboard and takes away some headroom (even though i saw earlier posts someone able to do it)

how you like the internal G-Unique PSU
I asked for a 300w one. Running well without fan plugged to power so far, not a high power build so wont utilise it to the full. I did hear some small crack sounds coming out near the psu or directplug, when pre booting the system before assemblying into the case.

I guess I would ask him to mirror another set screw holes so that I can place the PSU on either top or bottom fan slots.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Probably going to scrap the apu idea. Ran a few tests while I was designing some artworks. Surprisingly, the GPU gets more use than I expected. Only using 10GB out of the 64GB RAM so that's interesting to know.

On another note, @Lone any more progress on the sandwich case idea?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Gury did advise me to do so, but i couldnt bring the gunique psu down to the bottom fan slot, the cabling coming out of the psu becomes facing behind the motherboard and takes away some headroom (even though i saw earlier posts someone able to do it)

I asked for a 300w one. Running well without fan plugged to power so far, not a high power build so wont utilise it to the full. I did hear some small crack sounds coming out near the psu or directplug, when pre booting the system before assemblying into the case.

I guess I would ask him to mirror another set screw holes so that I can place the PSU on either top or bottom fan slots.

I'll bring this up with him and see if he can adjust it to fit better in both positions. Thanks for the info!

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
just wondering if anyone in this thread has a screw-in, under-desk caddy that they'd recommend for an L5? I'm doing some research on the topic, but having trouble finding caddys that secure a case as small as the L5's width!

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there a kind of softbag that fits the l5 tightly? I've been looking into Camcorder bags and the like and didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I don't need anything fancy, only some soft layer I can put around the case before putting it into my backpack. Any ideas?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there a kind of softbag that fits the l5 tightly? I've been looking into Camcorder bags and the like and didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I don't need anything fancy, only some soft layer I can put around the case before putting it into my backpack. Any ideas?

I originally wanted to ship the cases in fabric bags, but ended up breaking down and using plastic. The flat plastic bags I use for shipping are 13 x 15 inches (w x h). If you know someone that has a sewing machine, it would be very easy to make, and you get to pick out some cool fabric.

Reactions: MvKeinen

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
If you know someone that has a sewing machine, it would be very easy to make, and you get to pick out some cool fabric.

That's what I'm gonna do with the sewing machine I'll get tomorrow. Being an heavy duty model will help to sew through thick fabric.

edit: At this point, my L5 will have a bag before AMD dares releasing its APU lol

honkytonk

Efficiency Noob
Jul 21, 2020
Hi there, I am a new user in this forum, but I have been a long time builder of small PCs and a lurker here on the forum and on reddit.
Started with the Silverstone Sugo-13 mesh (after seeing linus' video with the titan and the 18 core xeon), went over to Define Nano S, then Node 202, Dan-A4, Ncase, loque, Velkase Velka 3 (smaller than the lone but flimsy and cheap feeling), then the holy grail and long thought after s4 mini and now at last the lone l5 :)

And even tho I can't fit the most powerful hardware in it. For some reason it really resonates with me. I have it setup right now with my trusty i7 8700k which i use since the Dan-A4 build and a lp asus gtx 1650.

Its silent due to the 2 front fans, well made and has a lot of cooling potential, with 2 case fans and support for the awesome noctua nh-l12s.
Hats off to you lone ;) I really like it.

Right now I'm just wondering if I made the right choice with my cooling setup. I have the two case fans as negative and the GPU/CPU fans act as intake.
What are you guys running?

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
G-Unique DC-ATX are back in stock and available bundled with the last few remaining L5. I have more G-Unique DC-ATX than cases, so if you'd like one shipped separately feel free to contact me.

Hi there, I am a new user in this forum, but I have been a long time builder of small PCs and a lurker here on the forum and on reddit.
Started with the Silverstone Sugo-13 mesh (after seeing linus' video with the titan and the 18 core xeon), went over to Define Nano S, then Node 202, Dan-A4, Ncase, loque, Velkase Velka 3 (smaller than the lone but flimsy and cheap feeling), then the holy grail and long thought after s4 mini and now at last the lone l5 :)

And even tho I can't fit the most powerful hardware in it. For some reason it really resonates with me. I have it setup right now with my trusty i7 8700k which i use since the Dan-A4 build and a lp asus gtx 1650.

Its silent due to the 2 front fans, well made and has a lot of cooling potential, with 2 case fans and support for the awesome noctua nh-l12s.
Hats off to you lone ;) I really like it.

Right now I'm just wondering if I made the right choice with my cooling setup. I have the two case fans as negative and the GPU/CPU fans act as intake.
What are you guys running?

Thank you! I'm thrilled to have the L5 included in that list of cases, and happy you like it. :)

Your cooling setup should work well. I'm running my front case fans and CPU fan as intake.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
G-Unique DC-ATX are back in stock and available bundled with the last few remaining L5. I have more G-Unique DC-ATX than cases, so if you'd like one shipped separately feel free to contact me.

Thank you! I'm thrilled to have the L5 included in that list of cases, and happy you like it. :)

Your cooling setup should work well. I'm running my front case fans and CPU fan as intake.
Just to confirm, the GUnique is just the plug-in DC/ATX portion and does not include an ac/DC solution, correct?

Reactions: fabio