Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
Excellent note! I have not taken the card apart, but with what you just showed me I will probably do that this weekend! Certainly can't hurt anything.

Good lookin out!

Reactions: Lone

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
I'll have to get back to you on that. If my manufacturer doesn't want me to return or destroy the bad parts, then I'll just have you cover the shipping cost.

Thanks, Let me know. I'd be willing to pay for it. Not a problem.

Was actually thinking about buying a 2nd case so i could Frankenstein one of them and not have to worry. A single panel would be cheaper than that...

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I received confirmation from my manufacturer that I can do whatever with the blemished covers. My new parts shipped today (earlier than expected), so I should see them Monday or Tuesday. :)

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Hey Mr Lone. Just a quick post to say thanks. Great little case you made here. Really like everything about it (One suggestion for improvement). I got mine earlier this week and just finished the build. I didn't take pictures along the way so no internal photos, just the finished build sitting on my desk. But that isn't a big loss, I didn't really do anything other than what was intended on the inside.

I was planning to do a 65W Ryzen build. Either the 3600 or 3700x. But when I went to Microcenter to pick one up, they had a fresh shipment of the new Intel 10th gen stuff so I figured that would be fun to check out. I wound up going with the only 65W new Intel CPU they had. The i5 10400. 6 threads, 12 cores, 4.3ghz . Plenty of power for the use of this machine. Mostly general office and web browsing stuff with occasional Solidworks and Fusion 360 CAD modeling and some light gaming very occasionally.

Here are the specs: of the build:
  • Intel i5 10400 (65W, 6 core, 12 thread)
  • Noctua NH-L12S
  • Gigabayte Z490 AORUS ULTRA ITX ( I know, Z series isn't needed on the locked chip but its what they had and I wanted to try the new Intel for myself. I wasn't on any kind of tight budget and this leaves me headroom if I want to get one of the K chips in the future)
  • GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 Low Profile (The just released updated version with DDR6 and 4 video outs.1 x Dual-link DVI-D 2 x HDMI 2.0b 1 x DisplayPort 1.4 )
  • 2TB Intel 660P nvme
  • 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 C16
  • HDPlex 200w DC-ATX
  • Dell New Slim Style 240W AC Adapter
  • (2) 80mm Arctic P8 PWM fans (crazy long stock wires. Had to shorten them for my own sanity)
A few quick comments. I know its not a popular choice right now, but so far I like the 10400 chip. Runs super cool and quiet and performs as good as my old 8700K, except alot cooler. With this setup in aida64 it never goes over 61 degrees no matter what I do. The CPU never gets hot, no matter what I do. Even hammering both the GPU and CPU at the same time and making the inside of the case really hot. Lots of headroom, I probably can go up to one of the K chips and be fine if I ever want too.

The GPU on the other hand.... Its a little fireball. Crazy high temps. Bumping up as high as 89 degrees running furmark with fans at 100%. (I will say the fans aren't as loud as I expected those little things to be, so that was a pleasant surprise. Which brings me to the only suggestion I would make for changes on this case. Please add more bottom ventilation. The holes that are there really only allow one of the gpu fans to breath. I personally would just cover the bottom panel in holes like you have, just 3X as many of them across the whole bottom of the case. I wound up linking the front fans to the mother board temp sensor that is right next to the GPU so as it heats up the front fans ramp up. I am considering a hole saw to put a clear open hole right below each of the fans, but haven't gone there yet. Anyone else run into this issue and have a good suggestion for a fix?

For now what I did to solve the GPU temps is to install MSI afterburner and knock the max power down to 90%. Even at 90% I was still able to bump the core clock up by 75mhz and the memory by 500mhz and its all still stable with no issues. Doing this doesn't seem to hurt the performance, but it knocks the max temp down to 73C. Still hot, but much more reasonable. As a matter of fact it actually increased the score on a few benchmarks I tried. The high temps were keeping the core clocks lower.

Had a good time building in your case and it fits perfectly in my little work space!

Jhautz - I like those USB extension cables. Who makes them & where can I buy them? Thanks. Great looking setup!

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Thanks jhautz. Placing my order now on Amazon, along with a couple (at least) of Arctic F8 PWM fans.
How are you liking the speed of the i5-10400 CPU? I'm considering an R5 3600 or 3700X for my next build in the L5.
Also, when gaming how bad & winey are the fans on that 1650? If you removed those fans along with their bracket, do you think there would be room to mount a couple og 80x25mm fans next to the 1650?

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
smitty2k1,

Where did you buy the Asus 1650 LP? All I've been able to find online at US retailers is MSI or Gigabyte & Zotac whch never seems to be in stock anywhere. Thanks.

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
The 10400 is plenty for me and any gaming I do is limited by the 1650. I was going to do a 3600 or 3700x also but when I went to microcenter to buy it they had just gotten the new batch of Intel stuff so I decided to give it a try. I have a 3900x and 2080 super system in the livingroom on the 4k tv for main gaming. This is more just the office pc for doing work and stuff. The 10400 is perfect and runs really cool. I know it's not "overclockable" like the ryzen stuff, but honestly the ryzen CPUs don't really benefit much from overclock now days anyway. Not enough to be worth the heat and hassle to me anyway.

If you are asking me about an Asus GPU. Mine is Gigabyte.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@vlad1966 - Although they are UK based, Scan might be able to help you.

They have the card in on the 30th of June and they give quotes for international shipping.

(While the URL is for European shipping, they do have information about outside shipping. While it is not processed on their site there is an international phone to ask for a quote. That said, I have never tried this due to the fact I live in Scotland.)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
smitty2k1,

Where did you buy the Asus 1650 LP? All I've been able to find online at US retailers is MSI or Gigabyte & Zotac whch never seems to be in stock anywhere. Thanks.
Amazon Germany shipped to USA. Amazon made it super easy and shipping was like 5 euro. I think with conversion it was $160 USD. There is a website you can plug in a product and it will search all the local Amazon sites for the best price.

If you do buy it and you have a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees you want to pay in the local currency. Your bank will give a better exchange rate than Amazon will (most likely).

First time doing something like this and was shocked how easy it was and how fast Amazon's shipping was. I'm surprised I don't hear about it more.

Reactions: Kopavi and Lone

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020

Received the custom Schuko to WEIPU connector for the HDPLEX AC-DC brick from Solidstrands today. Really looking forward to building in the case without having to grind a part of the PCI slots away ?

Looks greatt. Can you share the details of your order for those wanna order the same? Also the cost please. :D

Reactions: robinpfeiffer

robinpfeiffer

Chassis Packer
Dec 1, 2018
rbn.dev
Looks greatt. Can you share the details of your order for those wanna order the same? Also the cost please. :D

The above image shows what I ordered, C8 cable from the HDPlex unit had to be sent over because sourcing another JST connector could take a while, so modifying the existing cable was quicker. Sleeving, heatshrink and such can all be customized, just ask for customization options.

Cost was around 60 euro without shipping from Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yugo555

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Currently considering moving to an APU setup in the future. The computer has been a bit loud and the forthcoming options seem compelling. You have the Ryzen 7 4700G on the horizon and that HDPLEX 200W AC-DC bracket earlier in the thread is giving me ideas. Also switching over to a B550 board means I can get a rid of the chipset fans. Dropping the GPU fans as well should make for a quiet machine. Depends if the 4700G can match my Ryzen 3600/GTX 1650 combo.

Reactions: Kopavi

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Just got my order in about 5 seconds ago - White/Black with G-Unique DC-ATX ?

Analogue Blacksheep - that's what I'm looking at too, deciding between the R5 3600/GTX 1650 or Ryzen 7 4700G. Definitely will be a B550 mobo, probably the Gigabyte (can't stand whiny little fans on chipsets). I want to get the 4700G which would leave the PCIe slot open for a fast NVMe SSD (would put 3 of them on the board) but based on everything I've read online, the 4700G will have great CPU performance, kinda lame GPU performance. I'm guesstimating no more than 5% better than the 3400G. I hope AMD proves me wrong though. I'd at least minimum like to see 15% faster GPU performance on the 4700G. I'm waiting for benchmarks. If it is pretty slow, like a 3400G, I still might get it since I don't game as much as I used to. Also, as par as price, I'm guesstimating $250-$300.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Here's what I am thinking of. I already have the case, case fans, the 200W Plug in and the storage. 4700G being cooled by two 120mm fans on a Black Ridge. Might not even need the case fans. Go from 7 fans to 2.

APU Setup​
Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX​
£188.47​
Ebuyer​
Micron MTA18ADF4G72AZ-2G6B2 32GB 1RX4 2666 x2​
£435.98​
LambaTek​
Alpenföhn Black Ridge​
£43.53​
Overclockers UK​
Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM x2​
£43.98​
Amazon UK​
HDPLEX 200W AC-DC​
£51.49​
HDPLEX​
AMD Ryzen 4700G​
£300.00​
Estimate​
£1,063.45​
About ($1332.15)​

Reactions: Kopavi

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Glad I finally caught a round. Been missing my L2! Downscaling a server and the L5 will be the perfect size for what I intend :cool:

Reactions: Lone