Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
July batch of L5 cases are now available for order.

As the cases are not all built and packaged, please allow a few days for orders to be shipped.
Just noticed on your website you list a "Zotac GTX 1650 ti low profile" as a compatible GPU. There is not "ti" for the 1650 ;)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Spending some time this morning building cases. The white really pops.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017
Spending some time this morning building cases. The white really pops.

does that fan grill design provide better thermals/cooling?

BTW, the GTX 1650 LP from Zotac is available now (at least at my place). Still scratching my head about the price but I guess that form factor comes with a price premium. I'm not entirely sure but I think the GTX 1050 ti LP was around the MSRP price back in the day, when it launched originally. The GTX 1650 LP is 20-30 bucks more expensive than MSRP (my regional pricing)

Last edited:

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
yeah sorry DC ATX, been bugging larry for quite a while on those stocks for the 200w ac-dc/

btw for those guys still on the edge on buying the Lone industries L5 / L5x, I suggest to go for it, I've been buying from them since the last revision L4, and the owner is really nice and open for suggestion, even when it comes to after sales support they are always there, besides the quality is bar none, I tried most of the novelty cases here and the quality is up to par with Josh's s4 minis. I would recommend this case to anyone. even the after market sale is pretty good, having the ryzen capable graphics chips on the horizon this is a great investment for portability.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
does that fan grill design provide better thermals/cooling?

BTW, the GTX 1650 LP from Zotac is available now (at least at my place). Still scratching my head about the price but I guess that form factor comes with a price premium. I'm not entirely sure but I think the GTX 1050 ti LP was around the MSRP price back in the day, when it launched originally. The GTX 1650 LP is 20-30 bucks more expensive than MSRP (my regional pricing)

It should have slightly better cooling performance, but the only testing I did on this style was back with a hacked L4 prototype. It also provides more clearance at the front for something like the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX, which appears to need an extra 3 mm of clearance.

Sadly, the prices are inflated. Do you need the performance of the GTX 1050/1650? If not, you could check out the GTX 1030.

yeah sorry DC ATX, been bugging larry for quite a while on those stocks for the 200w ac-dc/

btw for those guys still on the edge on buying the Lone industries L5 / L5x, I suggest to go for it, I've been buying from them since the last revision L4, and the owner is really nice and open for suggestion, even when it comes to after sales support they are always there, besides the quality is bar none, I tried most of the novelty cases here and the quality is up to par with Josh's s4 minis. I would recommend this case to anyone. even the after market sale is pretty good, having the ryzen capable graphics chips on the horizon this is a great investment for portability.

Thanks! That's very kind of you. :)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I have run out of adapters for 5/2.5 mm barrel jacks. I will continue to ship cases without, but if you find you need this adapter please let me know. I could be wrong, but I believe the majority of customers don't use this. Still if you'd like one and you don't get one, just let me know and I'll send one out to you once I get some more.

EDIT: I'll have more of these by next Monday.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I got my case! Going to do my build and then post the final pics for it! Too bad I don't have my PCI-e Link extension yet. So close yet so far.

Also @Lone my power adapter port is too big as we talked about here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-industries-l5-4-6l-mini-itx.9637/page-19#post-148760. Any other ideas on how to make my plug secure?

Look forward to seeing your build! Here's a few options that come to mind:
  1. I would change the GX16 to a GX12 connector. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, there are probably local electrical/other shops that could do this for you.
  2. Insert a grommet, and run GX16 connector outside case. Secure power cable to case somewhere inside (possibly using zip tie) to prevent cable from being pulled out of the case.
  3. Drill out the 12.7 mm hole to 16 mm (this will cut into mounting holes, non-reversible, and could turn out bad), see below:

Reactions: smitty2k1

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
got my case yesterday, seems like it's good quality and i can't wait to build in it! i need to figure out a power solution. the hdplex i have is currently used in my brickless sm4-c build, which i'm sourcing parts from (msi lp 1050ti and g4560), but the connector is gx16. i either have to swap that out with gx12 connector and stuff the ac-dc unit inside, or sit tight on the hdplex 200 dc-atx stock because i don't want to drill the case. i suppose could also go with the pico psu, but that means a bigger brick and i'll need one of those adapters. i prefer brickless, but i wouldn't mind having one if it's one of those slim dell models.

i went with the L5X so i definitely want fans in front. g-unique is always an option (looking @fabio 's build), but we'll see.

thanks for reading my ramblings

Reactions: xcrco and Lone

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
got my case yesterday, seems like it's good quality and i can't wait to build in it! i need to figure out a power solution. the hdplex i have is currently used in my brickless sm4-c build, which i'm sourcing parts from (msi lp 1050ti and g4560), but the connector is gx16. i either have to swap that out with gx12 connector and stuff the ac-dc unit inside, or sit tight on the hdplex 200 dc-atx stock because i don't want to drill the case. i suppose could also go with the pico psu, but that means a bigger brick and i'll need one of those adapters. i prefer brickless, but i wouldn't mind having one if it's one of those slim dell models.

i went with the L5X so i definitely want fans in front. g-unique is always an option (looking @fabio 's build), but we'll see.

thanks for reading my ramblings

FWIW, I went with the PicoPSU 160XT + 192W brick kit on mini-box.com and have had no issues. I'm running an i5 4590S (65W TDP) and 1050ti. The DC-ATX fits with 25mm front fans and no case mods required for the 4-pin mini-DIN input jack. I've had it on 24/7 in my HTPC for several months. I'll admit that the power brick in the kit is pretty bulky, but the reliability seems great.

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
Also need help choosing a psu.

I will be running these
Ballistix 16GB 3000 cl15 (just purchased)
Ryzen 5 2600 (65TDP) or Ryzen 7 the 65 TDP one
Noctua NH-L12s
Asus strix B450-I
2x Noctua 80mm
zotac 1650? (75TDP?) (or a eBay $10-20 1gb placeholder)
nvme m2 ssd (probably Intel 660p 2TB)

I want the G-unique one, but hard time understanding on the ordering process. A few post earlier @fabio said there are some fitment issue? Whats the connector used on the back of the case?

If I go with the external brick (as a placeholder), what's the size of the pico psu should I get. The maximum I saw was 250W peak. Do I just add all the tdp together? (140, so picking a 160 would be enough?) what about the fans and cpu cooler? or are they not significant? Thanks!

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
You can use PC part picker to get a ballpark figure on wattage. Besides your gpu and CPU, your motherboard, drives, ram and any fans will also use some wattage. I'd estimate around 180 for your build.

Reactions: staircase

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
It is difficult to calculate real world power draw just from TDP, especially since AMD and Intel calculate TDP differently. I would look for reviews that actually measure power draw of the CPU and GPU that you're considering in both synthetic benchmarks and under gaming or rendering loads. Power draw when running synthetic benchmarks can be a lot higher than typical loads when gaming for example. You also have to consider your use case and whether you expect to hit peak power draw from CPU and GPU for extended periods of time or only intermittently. The motherboard, RAM, SSDs, fans, etc draw 75W max with the highest end motherboards and RAM, typically more like 50W at full utilization for the average SFF setup and 30W under normal gaming loads. SSDs use like 0.5W at idle and up to 1.5W at full throughput. Fans are pretty similar. For your setup, I doubt you would ever exceed 200W even under synthetic benchmarks. Here's a review from guru3d showing a Ryzen 2700/GTX 1080 system drawing ~275W when gaming. Keep in mind that GPU averages 175W on its own during gaming and the GTX 1650 should draw around 75W at most.

When choosing a DC-ATX and AC-DC setup you have to consider the quality of the components for both the ATX adapter and the power brick. For example that DC-ATX adapter you linked uses a barrel input jack which is probably not rated for delivering 250W no matter what the wattage of the power brick. That component choice makes me wonder if the rest of it is really up to the task of handling 250W. In my mind, skimping on the quality of the power supply for any computer is a bad way to save money because it can put at risk all of the other much more expensive components. I would stick to known high quality brands like min-box (PicoPSU), HDPlex, G-unique, Kmpkt (rebranded HDPlex). Unfortunately there's not a part of the forums on sff.net dedicated to the discussion of these DC-ATX/AC-DC power supplies so its hard to get accurate and up to date information.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
any thoughts of making it an extra 1.5" taller which would allow for an internal flex atx PSU?

Thoughts, yes... plans, no. :)

FlexATX power supplies and the HDPLEX AC-DC are about the same height, so they could potentially both be supported. The HDPLEX AC-DC also solves the issues people have with FlexATX (noise, and wires). @Thehack designed a case with this in mind. At some point one has to ask whether it's really worth it, when other options exist based around SFX power supplies.

Davidson

What's an ITX?
Jul 17, 2019
Hi guys,
First post in the forums here and first sff build for me so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions here. I just received my L5 in the mail and am doing the research to find out how to proceed. Here is the list of components I decided to go with:
Asus ROG strix B450-I
M.2 drives front and back for storage as the board is one of the only ones with two slots.
Ryzen 3700x
Noctua L9A cooler.
32 gb Corsair RAM.
For now as a placeholder an NVIDIA GeForce 210.

I am building the computer as a music production machine almost exclusively so graphics horsepower isn’t my main concern. The main issue I am having now is choosing a power supply. I have looked through all the posts in the forum and got some sense of the options. I am aiming for maximum portability so brickless would be great I think. My question is this:

Is the new HD plex 200 watt nano atx combo a good option for the L5 case? If so what would actually be involved in utilizing it? Would it just attach inside the case where the front fans/ssds would normally go? Is it relatively simple or would it involve quite a lot of expert building to pull it off? Any direction for this new builder would be much appreciated!

Reactions: annasoh323