Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
@fabio - I think it is safe to say this is the blueprint for brickless Lone L5's from now on. What is the wattage for the PSU setup?

Think it was 300w? I'm definitely looking to go this route, it looks/fits great

edit: is there any purpose to having the 10mm fan on the psu other than aesthetics? guessing it's basically a designated cooling solution for the psu?

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
What are the dimensions of the G-Unique power supply? I like its slim form factor and looks very efficient for 300W.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@CC Ricers
The dimensions are 80x90x23mm. BUT, IF can be thinner by 1/2 mm will be better! Now is basically "kissing" the 24pin unit.

@NoSk0pz
the front fan help to cool the PSU is not only for aesthetic. In passive mode can sustain "only" 150W

@Analogue Blacksheep
edit: It is a 300W with 94% of efficiency with 220AC and cooled by the front fan. I think can peak till 350W actually. Passive can sustain MAX 150W with no problem.

@smitty2k1
I prefer the G-Unique to have the possibilities to keep the front fans! The HDPlex doesn't allow this (But using it with the slim Dell bricks was perfect anyway!
The Meanwell was my first choice, but the problem was the cabling and the idea to double tape it to keep the bottom fan!

BTW, here a TEMP test!!

CPU Power limit at 140W
AVX offset 0!
Prime 29.8 smallest FFT for 30min.

92 degrees for the package and all core at 4.25 Ghz in AVX2 LOAD!!
VRM temp is 76 degrees BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSk0pz and Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@fabio Thanks the for the test results! Looks like the temps are stable. Not sure if they could be better or not. I'd be curious to see what temps are stressed without the case cover on as a baseline. If you haven't already, you could also try flipping the NH-L12S fan to see if there's any difference. Does the G-Unique AC-DC PSU get warm or hot?

sff_fab

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 29, 2019
Hi ! I'm new to sff, and the lone L5 looks very appealing and suitable for my need.

While waiting for its availibilty (and new AMD ryzens with 65W TDP), I've been researching for a while and I have a few questions for advanced enthousiasts here.

• The zotac 1650 LP is not available at the moment in the country where I live (Japan) but there is here an MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4GT LP whith a height of 37mm. The MSI is not mentionned on the compatibillity list of the L5, unlike the Zotac 1650 (34mm height) and the MSI 1050 (35 mm height). Is it because it's slightly higher or would it fit ?
  • I didn't find any build examples with previous versions of Lone and ryzen cpus. Is there a reason for that, like heat dissipation problem or PSU compatibility ?
  • PicoPSU 160-XT being easily available on Amazon, it sounds a good option for me with an external brick. But I wonder if it would be powerful enough for a 65W TDP CPU with a 75W TDP GPU like the 1650. I've seen some 1650 bench where the total system power consumption would reach 214 Watts (https://www.anandtech.com/show/14270/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-review-feat-zotac/15)
  • The new Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is not mentionned on the compatibility list of the L5. It seems OK to me since its measurements 122(W) × 69(H) × 122(D) are smaller that the Noctua NH-L12S 128(W) × 70(H) × 146(D), but shape is quite different. Any clue ?
Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hi ! I'm new to sff, and the lone L5 looks very appealing and suitable for my need.

While waiting for its availibilty (and new AMD ryzens with 65W TDP), I've been researching for a while and I have a few questions for advanced enthousiasts here.

• The zotac 1650 LP is not available at the moment in the country where I live (Japan) but there is here an MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4GT LP whith a height of 37mm. The MSI is not mentionned on the compatibillity list of the L5, unlike the Zotac 1650 (34mm height) and the MSI 1050 (35 mm height). Is it because it's slightly higher or would it fit ?
  • I didn't find any build examples with previous versions of Lone and ryzen cpus. Is there a reason for that, like heat dissipation problem or PSU compatibility ?
  • PicoPSU 160-XT being easily available on Amazon, it sounds a good option for me with an external brick. But I wonder if it would be powerful enough for a 65W TDP CPU with a 75W TDP GPU like the 1650. I've seen some 1650 bench where the total system power consumption would reach 214 Watts (https://www.anandtech.com/show/14270/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-review-feat-zotac/15)
  • The new Scythe Big Shuriken 3 is not mentionned on the compatibility list of the L5. It seems OK to me since its measurements 122(W) × 69(H) × 122(D) are smaller that the Noctua NH-L12S 128(W) × 70(H) × 146(D), but shape is quite different. Any clue ?
Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

The "height" there is actually the width. Will fit no problem.

Nothing wrong with Ryzens.

160XT power quite a few builds just fine.

The BS3 is a bit of a newcomer. Many people prefer Noctuas but Scythe also make excellent coolers.

Reactions: Lone

sff_fab

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 29, 2019
The "height" there is actually the width. Will fit no problem.
Woops, sorry, my mistake !
Anyway, thanks a lot for all your answers, I feel more confident to try this.
About Scythe, they are made in Japan, where I live, and therefore easily available and almost half cheaper than imported Noctua for me. I've been using bigger models from them on my desktops for years and they perform great.
There is an interesting review/comparison on BS3 vs other low profile coolers on Optimum tech :

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Woops, sorry, my mistake !
Anyway, thanks a lot for all your answers, I feel more confident to try this.
About Scythe, they are made in Japan, where I live, and therefore easily available and almost half cheaper than imported Noctua for me. I've been using bigger models from them on my desktops for years and they perform great.
There is an interesting review/comparison on BS3 vs other low profile coolers on Optimum tech :

In my opinion, Scythe is the best bang for the buck. Noctua is for more premium design. I just wished they kept the old BS2 updated instead.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio Thanks the for the test results! Looks like the temps are stable. Not sure if they could be better or not. I'd be curious to see what temps are stressed without the case cover on as a baseline. If you haven't already, you could also try flipping the NH-L12S fan to see if there's any difference. Does the G-Unique AC-DC PSU get warm or hot?
News for you! I've did the same test without the top cover, and actually the temp was better only of 2 degree on the CPU! It stay stable at 89 degrees after 30 minutes.

BUT, I think I have some issue with the MB. When I try to setup the 140W limit in the BIOS and Launch Prime, the whole system crash.
If I restart the system a lot of time it doesn't turn on again, and the CPU fan start to spin. I was thinking was a G-Unique issue, but I put back the HDplex and I have the same issue.

I've ordered a new MB, let's see! And I will try the exhaust config for the fan, But I am pretty sure the intake option will be better.

I'll keep you updated!

Reactions: Lone

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
UPDATE:

I've received the new Supermicro Z390

Suddenly there is something in the G-Unique that doesn't allow the system to start. Then, I think that also it was the cause for the system instability with the previous motherboard.

With the new one, it seems that the system get power, but after half second everything goes down, and even the 24pin G-unique has anymore the blue light on.

Maybe is some protection that the Supermicro has; I had a similar issue with another G-unique and the ASrock Z390 Phantom ITX. The same config was working perfectly with a GIgabyte and an Asus.

OR, maybe is something with the EU 220AC?

Anyway, come back to the trusted HDplex 160W! And a few new things:

I've painted the green aluminum riser in black :D

I've changed the fan for x2 SilentWings 2, to check if the noise is better than the NoiseBlocker

Swapped the Quadro with an Asus 1050 TI, WITHOUT FANS - passive!

This stay on the 50 degrees while 3D Modeling! and Pass the FurMark preset with a max temp of 72 degrees - fan BIOS settings as "Quiet".

IF I see it will get to hot I will put its heatsink on the Quadro, and that's it!

Actually now I am curious to get one of the 1650 LP to see how it runs in passive mode!

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
Glad to see that you're liking the Asus 1050Ti. Mine runs passively most of the time, even while gaming (at 1080p, 60Hz) and would probably be even cooler if I removed the shroud and fans. I only noticed the fans spin up once after several hours of gaming but I adjusted the intake fan curve and since then I haven't heard the GPU fans at all.

Let me know what you think of those Be Quiet fans. I've got a pair of NoiseBlocker M8-P 25mm fans and I am surprised by the amount of bearing noise. They have a wide range of speed by PWM, but it seems the bearing noise is usually louder than the sound of air movement. I'm just waiting for Noctua to release their Chromax NF-A8.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Asus 1050 TI, WITHOUT FANS

Hey Fabio, could you let me know the exact height of the radiator on that card? It looks to be about the same as the MSI one, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
UPDATE:

I've received the new Supermicro Z390

Suddenly there is something in the G-Unique that doesn't allow the system to start. Then, I think that also it was the cause for the system instability with the previous motherboard.

With the new one, it seems that the system get power, but after half second everything goes down, and even the 24pin G-unique has anymore the blue light on.

Maybe is some protection that the Supermicro has; I had a similar issue with another G-unique and the ASrock Z390 Phantom ITX. The same config was working perfectly with a GIgabyte and an Asus.

OR, maybe is something with the EU 220AC?

Anyway, come back to the trusted HDplex 160W! And a few new things:

I've painted the green aluminum riser in black :D

I've changed the fan for x2 SilentWings 2, to check if the noise is better than the NoiseBlocker

Swapped the Quadro with an Asus 1050 TI, WITHOUT FANS - passive!

This stay on the 50 degrees while 3D Modeling! and Pass the FurMark preset with a max temp of 72 degrees - fan BIOS settings as "Quiet".

IF I see it will get to hot I will put its heatsink on the Quadro, and that's it!

Actually now I am curious to get one of the 1650 LP to see how it runs in passive mode!

Is G-Unique able to offer any help? It would be nice if you had an external brick with a GX12 connector that you could try with the G-Unique DC-ATX unit. I guess if you send it back to him he'd be able to test it and figure out if there's an issue.

I'm a little surprised the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX fits okay with the 80x25mm fans?

Also glad to see you're able to run the GTX 1050 passive! :)

EDIT: Black riser looks much better!

Last edited:

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
Hopefully I could grab one of them bad boys! looking to fit a passive1030 with i5 7500t, for portable htpc. I just wish larry could really provide an eta on those 200 ac-dc

Reactions: fabio and Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hopefully I could grab one of them bad boys! looking to fit a passive1030 with i5 7500t, for portable htpc. I just wish larry could really provide an eta on those 200 ac-dc

Not sure an HDPLEX 200W AC-DC will fit? Do you mean DC-ATX?