Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I’m excited to see what you have in mind on colors.

It gets a bit tiring having so much tech stuff all be black, gray, silver, dark gray, light silver, jet black, space black, space gray - LOL

Also - those round cutouts for sure. So cool

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
If anyone wants a passive cooler in this case, I can recommend the Alpine 12.
It fits like a glove and you get great cooling out of it if you line up the fins with a fan (or 2 in the case of the Lone 5)

I've tested the cooler a fair bit with my 8700 65w chip, which is more than it's rated for, and it handles it very surprisingly well.

Looks amazing in the L5 case I think.
(here are some pics of me setting it in there for testing fit - didn't end up doing this build due to hackintosh GPU issues)

If you did build around this cooler in here, you'd probably want slightly lower profile RAM than I have to allow even more directly airflow right through the fins, which are blocked a touch by my RAM (as you can see).

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
If anyone wants a passive cooler in this case, I can recommend the Alpine 12.
It fits like a glove and you get great cooling out of it if you line up the fins with a fan (or 2 in the case of the Lone 5)

I've tested the cooler a fair bit with my 8700 65w chip, which is more than it's rated for, and it handles it very surprisingly well.

Oh, man, I was just contemplating this cooler (with a Ryzen 65W chip) - talk about perfect timing! Planning to combo it with MSIs passive 1030:

Now, I just need to get my hands on an L5.. ;)

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
Oh, man, I was just contemplating this cooler (with a Ryzen 65W chip) - talk about perfect timing! Planning to combo it with MSIs passive 1030:

Phenomenal!
Honestly, in my time with an RX 560 Low Profile, I found the fan curves ridiculous by default and in Windows, under nearly everything but maxed out, trying to stress it, gaming, it also could have been a passively cooled card.

I wish more LP options were out there in all cases, but especially passive options!

Excited to hear some more Alpine 12's will be in the wild. Honestly, it's a match match in heaven for the Lone L5 with the dual fans up front and just enough CPU Cooler height clearance for the A12, which most SFF cases don't tend to have.

And at like $12-13 - it's hard to beat the Alpine's pricing.

Reactions: August

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
The other thing on the Alpine 12, as I'd mentioned earlier, I was using a 65w i7-8700 (non-k), which is way more that it's rated for (47w I think?).

I can only imagine how great it would perform with a T series 35w CPU underneath!
(if only those weren't so hard to get, expensive, etc...)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
?‍♂️

what other colors are you thinking besides white and black (if any)?

I'll probably offer white next batch, and then maybe something else the following batch. I would also like to stock some unfinished side panels so people can get them powder coated locally.

I'm currently using the Gigabyte GT 1030 Passive, and have the Alpine 12 Passive on order that I plan to test out.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
I'm currently using the Gigabyte GT 1030 Passive, and have the Alpine 12 Passive on order that I plan to test out.

I prefer the DP port on the MSI card over the DVI-D but otherwise they look very similar.

Any ETA on the next batch? :D

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I prefer the DP port on the MSI card over the DVI-D but otherwise they look very similar.

Any ETA on the next batch? :D

Depends on how long it takes to get a cluster punch. My manufacturer wants to see if I can use any of their existing cluster punches, so I'm just waiting on more info. I'd estimate about two months, but it could be sooner or later.

That sounds so hot - especially with the more retro inspired round cutouts and grill.

Can’t wait for some renders of that!

There are some white/black renders on the first post. It probably wouldn't be all white.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I tested a Gigabyte GT 1030 Passive in the L5 yesterday with and without front case fans.

Case: L5 (with CPU vent)
CPU: Intel i5-6500
CPU Cooler: NH-L12S (fan blowing out)
GPU: Gigabyte GT 1030 Passive
Fans: Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM
Fan profile: Silent

Tests:

FurMark (30 min) with case fans: 65°C
FurMark (20 min) without case fans: 77°C

Last edited:

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
You have me wondering if I could retrofit a passive cooler onto the MSI RX 560 LP
I see MSI has some LP Passive GPU's - I wonder if any of them have a layout that would work..

(ponders..)

I need to get a good deal on a used RX560 LP at some point that I'll feel "ok" about having around and playing with/testing.

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
@Lone Based upon my testing of a 65w CPU with the Alpine Passive, you will absolutely want the front case fans - at least one.

With no fan, it was sort of "fine" at mostly idle/low loads, but once it loaded up a touch and over a bit of time, the temp crept up..
Was totally solved with even a small amount of airflow though.

Might truly be a "who needs a fan!"? cooler if one had a 35w chip though - hard to say without testing it.

As much a I love the 35w chip idea - I'm not paying what they tend to ask for them.
I just don't see the value there (personally)

Reactions: Lone

Michael

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2016
I would love if you made a reversion that incorporates the 200W HDPLEX, mounting holes for a Meanwell, and includes a perfect cable length set.

Reactions: Lone