Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Well, sadly the panels with the CPU vent are warped, and I'm not sure they're usable or fixable. I'm going to discuss with my manufacturer and see what my options are. If I can't get a CPU vent that's not warped, then I'll go with no CPU vent.

Besides that, the parts and the powder coating are great. Unfortunately, it could be another months wait. I will post an update as soon as I know more.

Update 1: It appears some of the panels are not as bad as others, and I am able to straighten them quite easily. Once I know how many good ones I have to sell, I'll make them available.

Update 2: Four Six out of twenty panels are good. An additional one is good, but has some slight scuffs on the powder coating. Unfortunately, I've also determined that the revised fan mount kinda sucks (can move), but I may have a simple fix I'll try out tomorrow. Fixed.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
:) :(

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Ya, it's not very noticeable. It's out about 3 mm near the center. Some are better/worse than others. Here's a photo with a straight edge over the CPU vent. I'm not sure what I should do at this point, since I'm not sure I can even have the CPU vent made without warping. I may have to go back to optimizing for no CPU vent, or explore different vent designs.

Last edited:

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
I'd be happy to buy one of the warped ones for a slight discount if that's possible. I think I'd rather have a slightly warped one than no vent at all. I maybe a minority on this though.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'd be happy to buy one of the warped ones for a slight discount if that's possible. I think I'd rather have a slightly warped one than no vent at all. I maybe a minority on this though.

They're available to order on my site.

The CPU vent is important. I am going to see if there's something I can do. I hate to change the design of the vent also, as I quite like how it turned out.

Last edited:
Reactions: cleveland and Nasp

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
They're available to order on my site.

The CPU vent is important. I am going to see if there's something I can do. I hate to change the design of the vent also, as I quite like how it turned out.

Very cool! Just placed my order. Hopefully my payment went through. I was trying to find a card that didn't have any transaction fees but I haven't use that particular card in a while so hopefully it's still valid.

Just do me a favor please and don't give me the most warped one, will you! ;)

bkt

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 3, 2019
Sorry, but noob here. What kind of risks do I run ordering one with warped CPU vents?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Sorry, but noob here. What kind of risks do I run ordering one with warped CPU vents?
Purely aesthetic. It is mostly invisible but depends on the person, it might annoy you or not be an issue when you notice it from time to time.

Reactions: Biowarejak

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
For the CPU vent, how about a circular cut for a 140mm fan grill/filter to be installed by the user?
You (Lone) would need to open the screw holes and provide a set of short machine screws and nuts (preferably locknut type).
It would give a real nice look, especially if you make the front fan setup similar.

Example grill/filters (it would be important to find matching style for both side and front if you go that route, and most have the 80mm version too):

These 120mm ones are quite nice too and they also have 80mm version:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7I9KFA/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: WHATT

WHATT

Chassis Packer
Mar 26, 2019
That fan grill cutout option isn't a horrible idea. I actually modded a silverstone case for a 140mm grill and mounted it myself from the back side. I'd take a pic but I don't currently have it in front of me. At any rate it came out looking pretty nice.

::EDIT::
Also, I just placed an order for a silver/black unit. I'll take my chances on the side panel warp. I dig the case design so I'd really like to get a hold of one. Glad this made it out to production!

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
A quick side note. As I was going through my parts this morning I found two more side panels that are either not warped or very straight, so I've added them to the website.

Very cool! Just placed my order. Hopefully my payment went through. I was trying to find a card that didn't have any transaction fees but I haven't use that particular card in a while so hopefully it's still valid.

Just do me a favor please and don't give me the most warped one, will you! ;)

Thank you! I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Purely aesthetic. It is mostly invisible but depends on the person, it might annoy you or not be an issue when you notice it from time to time.

This is accurate.

With the panel off the case, when you flex the panel in your hands back and forth, the vent will spring back and forth slightly, instead of feeling rigid. When it's on the case, this shouldn't be an issue. I will try to flatten the vent as best I can, but if there's any deflection it will add/subtract 2-3 mm from CPU clearance.

For the CPU vent, how about a circular cut for a 140mm fan grill/filter to be installed by the user?
You (Lone) would need to open the screw holes and provide a set of short machine screws and nuts (preferably locknut type).
It would give a real nice look, especially if you make the front fan setup similar.

Example grill/filters (it would be important to find matching style for both side and front if you go that route, and most have the 80mm version too):

These 120mm ones are quite nice too and they also have 80mm version:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7I9KFA/?tag=theminutiae-20

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give this some consideration!

That fan grill cutout option isn't a horrible idea. I actually modded a silverstone case for a 140mm grill and mounted it myself from the back side. I'd take a pic but I don't currently have it in front of me. At any rate it came out looking pretty nice.

::EDIT::
Also, I just placed an order for a silver/black unit. I'll take my chances on the side panel warp. I dig the case design so I'd really like to get a hold of one. Glad this made it out to production!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Am I the only person where the seam in the middle looks like it's not in the middle? Might be playing tricks with my eyes. o_O

I'm not planning on changing it, but thought it'd be nice for people to see a comparison.