Lian Li/DAN A4-H2O

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
My first thought was: Ok, no 12900k. Meh. *researches application benchmarks about 12700k, 5950X etc. all over again*

Techpowerup: " Even when watercooled by our 360 mm AIO from Arctic, the temperature reached close to 100°C when fully loaded."

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-12th-gen/24.html

The problem is not the case it is the fact that a 240 AIO can't cool a 12900k under heavy load. What use case do you have? Handbreak, Keyshot or what other CPU intensive load? Another option could be undervolting or Power Limiting the 12900k.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Techpowerup: " Even when watercooled by our 360 mm AIO from Arctic, the temperature reached close to 100°C when fully loaded."

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-12th-gen/24.html

The problem is not the case it is the fact that a 240 AIO can't cool a 12900k under heavy load. What use case do you have? Handbreak, Keyshot or what other CPU intensive load? Another option could be undervolting or Power Limiting the 12900k.
We are aware. Hence just "thermal issues", NOT "thermal issues with the case". Thus also the though experiment (in reaction to other comments in this thread). As you may have or have not read, I already mentioned power limiting as an option, too.

Our particular use case / scenario is: Audio / Video editing, and streaming (ie. primarly DJing). Specifically, doing all that on CPU, because of all the funny driver issues with both AMD (OBS + AMD GPU encoding apparently is the worst choice, but Linux support is much much better) and NVidia (lets not open that can of worms).

A secondary use case is running multiple VMs and browsers during development. We've been doing a lot of really heavy-load backend development in the last few years, and the more CPU power, the merrier.

Third use case obviously is the reach for perfection ;)

cu, w0lf.

ps: Originally I wanted to reply: lets maybe wait on the 12900 non-k, but the tests I could dig up so far look very.. naaaah. As in: Making the 12700k look much better.

Reactions: Merry Monkey

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Great looking case that just about fulfill my needs. But one question, i have no USB 3.1 header on my MB (Asus B360i Strix) but there's one on the rear i/o. Can i use this as an adapter:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Not good because the back fan is too close to the PSU every other 3090 should be fine.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Congratulations @dondan!

We're starting to see the A4-H2O available for local preorders* and of course it's been hitting the popular review sites, too.

* with delivery ETA of 28 April 2022

Reactions: DrHudacris

dreaming of sff

Case Bender
New User
Feb 10, 2022
loving the look of this case, just a question, is the front i/o swappable to the other side of the case? would like to put my pc on my left rather than my right.

TheKDub

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 8, 2022
Any difference in mounting the fans in push or pull?

There shouldn't be much difference in push or pull. A benefit of a pull configuration would be easier cleaning of the radiator, since the dust will be exposed, rather than sandwiched between it and the fans.

If you meant intake vs exhaust, intake would likely result in higher GPU temps, lower CPU temps. Exhaust would result in the opposite.
Given the PSU exhausts into the radiator, I'd think having the radiator fans also as an exhaust would be the best idea, that way you're not fighting the PSU fan.

Reactions: DrHudacris

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
loving the look of this case, just a question, is the front i/o swappable to the other side of the case? would like to put my pc on my left rather than my right.
Sry this isn't possible.

Wow, who is shipping already?
He does come from Taiwan. Maybe he directly ordered it from LianLi or it is available from taiwanese resellers.

Reactions: carpet3 and rfarmer

DavidN

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2021
Reactions: rfarmer