Lian Li/DAN A4-H2O

SuperSmashedBro

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2021
Both are anodized.
Got it. The reason why I was confused is that there is no mention of the silver being anodized on any of the marketing material, only the black one.

TheRealGlutenbob

Caliper Novice
May 14, 2020
Can someone help me make sense of these vary different CPU temps I keep seeing for the 12700k. Optimum Tech and Chris Flannigan got about 99deg with throttling, with Chris using Aida64. But then Gear Seekers got about 77deg using Aida64 as well?

Is it the tube routing? other factors?

SuperSmashedBro

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2021
Can someone help me make sense of these vary different CPU temps I keep seeing for the 12700k. Optimum Tech and Chris Flannigan got about 99deg with throttling, with Chris using Aida64. But then Gear Seekers got about 77deg using Aida64 as well?

Is it the tube routing? other factors?
There's a number of things that could cause that. The main one being with Optimum Tech's review he set his fans to 1300RPM while anyone else would just set it to auto and it would run up to 2000RPM

Reactions: TheKDub and dondan

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@dondan can the EK AIO be routed the same way that Gear Seekers routed his Phanteks one?

I was not able to do it with my EKWB version and I tried it. .

Newegg says 2/26 for the release date. Is that incorrect?
Unlike other shops like Caseking, Newegg is just a marketplace like Amazon. LianLi has full controll on everything showing up there. So yes should be valid.

SuperSmashedBro

Chassis Packer
Oct 31, 2021
I was not able to do it with my EKWB version and I tried it. .

Unlike other shops like Caseking, Newegg is just a marketplace like Amazon. LianLi has full controll on everything showing up there. So yes should be valid.
Phanteks AIO is 400mm tubing length, while the EK AIO is 350mm

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Let's have a little thought experiment - because of that thermal issue: In theory, would it be possible to put a 280 mm radiator into where normally the GPU would live? Like the Alphacool NexXxos 280 (which should be identical to the one being used in the Aurora Pro 280 "open" AIO) .. its 314 x 143 x 30, full copper. And then, because we're Rizer-ing anyway, put the GPU on top.

That'd mean maybe a smaller / less beefy GPU, but if the purpose of the case was "portable SFF Workstation", the GPU is not so much the limiting factor (esp. when all those "pro" GPU options are basically ultra-slim, low-profile). But also "lesser" consumer-oriented GPUs, like the RX 6600 XT or GTX 3060, should work.

Not to forget about the GPU connectors (DP / HDMI): One would have to attach them before-hand, maybe even use a "opposite" (male to female) adapter to stay flexible.

Well, its just a thought experiment. Would have to test it IRL :D

cu, w0lf.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Let's have a little thought experiment - because of that thermal issue: In theory, would it be possible to put a 280 mm radiator into where normally the GPU would live? Like the Alphacool NexXxos 280 (which should be identical to the one being used in the Aurora Pro 280 "open" AIO) .. its 314 x 143 x 30, full copper. And then, because we're Rizer-ing anyway, put the GPU on top.

That'd mean maybe a smaller / less beefy GPU, but if the purpose of the case was "portable SFF Workstation", the GPU is not so much the limiting factor (esp. when all those "pro" GPU options are basically ultra-slim, low-profile). But also "lesser" consumer-oriented GPUs, like the RX 6600 XT or GTX 3060, should work.

Not to forget about the GPU connectors (DP / HDMI): One would have to attach them before-hand, maybe even use a "opposite" (male to female) adapter to stay flexible.

Well, its just a thought experiment. Would have to test it IRL :D

cu, w0lf.
isnt that basically what someone did with their T1? Turning it effectively into T1 V2 reference haha.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'd imagine CPU temps would decrease, but GPU temps would increase significantly.
Any difference in mounting the fans in push or pull?

This depends on your GPU. I’ve tested both setups with the Meshlicious.

Basically you have a positive pressure system when you make them intakes. The intake fans would help the CPU, however, the GPU will start sucking in its own hot exhaust. Plus you are now fighting the heat of the PSU as well.

Put simply, switching to exhaust on the Mesh dropped my GPU by about 10C while raising my CPU 3C. Adding an exhaust on my MI-6 dropped my GPU about 10C as well.

Reactions: rfarmer

gahbo

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 1, 2022
b450 asrock mobo
Ryzen 2600
6600XT OC

Will I do OK with the stock CPU cooler? Wondering if I should get a low profile fan, but what I see is pricey enough to make me consider an AIO (although I'm looking mainly Noctua)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Phanteks AIO is 400mm tubing length, while the EK AIO is 350mm
Thanks for the research :)

Let's have a little thought experiment - because of that thermal issue: ....

What thermal issues?

b450 asrock mobo
Ryzen 2600
6600XT OC

Will I do OK with the stock CPU cooler? Wondering if I should get a low profile fan, but what I see is pricey enough to make me consider an AIO (although I'm looking mainly Noctua)
The stock fan should work with the Ryzen 2600. But there are very well prices 240 AIO on the market. You do not need a 150€ RGB premium AIO. In Europe you can get a entry level 240 AIO for 55€ https://geizhals.de/cooler-master-m...w-d24m-a20pw-r1-a1703222.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
Also on Ebay you can get used ones very cheap.

Maybe on these the pump or fans are not that silent, but you can adjust these in UEFI. Set pump speed to 60-80% and for you CPU fans @ 800-1000rpm should be more than fine with very good temperatures.

Reactions: gahbo

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
What thermal issues?

The one hinted at in the reviews with the higher-tier Alder Lake CPUs [1] + big fat GPUs.
I'm the opposite: I need a high-tier CPU, because workstation, but couldnt care less about a fancy gaming system, so GPU can be something "itx-y" (and preferably AMD, cause nVidia on Linux + KDE .. ahahaha).

My first thought was: Ok, no 12900k. Meh. *researches application benchmarks about 12700k, 5950X etc. all over again*

Next: Oh, wait, you dont need one of those beefy GPUs anyways.

Then: Wait - what would happen if I do a custom loop with two rads ..? One in the top, one sitting in the half on the other side thats not occupied, because <= 180 mm GPU? .. but wouldnt that be a bit of a space issue ..?
Hence the glorious idea of going weird :)

On an after-thought: Hm, still could go down that road!!23$DRÖLFZIG! 280 mm rad on the side AND a 120 (or 92) mm plus the GPU on top :D

Also to think about: Weight issues? Nah. Most of the "usable" AND easily available cases are more like: Starting at 3.7 kg ON A LUCKY DAY. So I'm all good with a lil bit of extra weight (eg. copper + brass).

cu, w0lf.

[1] TBF: all the other SFF cases seem to show similar issues, eg. the Meshlicious and even NR200. Reddit conversations hinted about that Intel PR just wanted to look beefier on paper, and set the upper CPU limit to "unlimited" [2], hence the 241w peak. Hence one could set more healthly limits and still not feel any kind of difference.
[2] Afterthought: Doesnt that "unlimited" ring familiar? Sounds like the EVGA + Amazon "new world" issue.

Last edited: