Lian Li/DAN A4-H2O

xthongyy

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2019
I think RTX 4090 Founders Edition could be to thick as its going over the typical 3-Slot design. ;) The card is 61mm but I did not had the chance to check first hand...I just have the TUF and will cramp it into a SilverStone ALTA G1M...jup 35cm haha 🤡
4090 FE fits just right into the case. Took me a little bit of wiggling but did not have any problems. Currently having the bottom opened and elevated while awaiting custom cables.

bimopradana

Case Bender
New User
Jul 27, 2021
4090 FE fits just right into the case. Took me a little bit of wiggling but did not have any problems. Currently having the bottom opened and elevated while awaiting custom cables.
Nice fit 😍 i've been search for this FE card since last october on locals store. But can't found it in my country (Indonesia).

For fellow south asian people, do you know where the best online ecommerce to buy 4090 FE card?

Tiredme

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2022
Thank you so much for this info. Sounds like the IS-55 is a much better choice than the x53 and fits. I will be using Corsair LPX ram, which another site confirmed compatibility with despite the 33mm clearance and 34mm height.

Hopefully it all fits together.
Does the LPX fit? Because HW Canucks did a video on this and said that won't fit
here

blackboxed

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 29, 2022
After getting the DAN A4-SFX via the kickstarter some years back, I'm now looking at the DAN A4-H2O to house a newer/bigger/better GPU. I'll go through this entire thread over the next weeks to gather tips and tricks, but there's one question that I'd appreciate your enthusiasts' input on.

The efficiency of the sandwich/convection concept of the original DAN A4-SFX is what I love about that case. I am now trying to wrap my head around how this would work in the A4-H2O:
  • Do the AIO radiator fans pull in air from the top/outside?
    If so, doesn't this negate the efficiency concept mentioned above? I.e. "going against the stream"
  • Or do the radiator fans pull in air from the bottom/inside?
    If so, wouldn't this case air be already be quite warm, thus (significantly) diminishing the AIO's cooling of the CPU?
  • Finally, where an aircooled solution also cools down the VRM/m2, this will not be the case with an AIO.
All of the above make me wonder if and how an AIO is actually better than a decent aircooled solution like in the A4-SFX...
It probably is - I just need to someone to help me understand it before I bite the bullet 😅

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
don't have the A4-H2O but had built in T1 v1.1 so this is my experience with this layout

Do the AIO radiator fans pull in air from the top/outside?
With this airflow path, you'll get the best CPU temps since the AIO draws fresh air from outside, however, it is dumping hotter air into the case, and work directly AGAINST your GPU air cooler. Thus your GPU temps will be much worse and temps of other components will also be higher

Or do the radiator fans pull in air from the bottom/inside?
This way fresh air will be pulled from outside of the side panels, through the perforation and into the radiator. This will also helps exhaust hotter air coming out of your GPU cooler. Thus best GPU temps, better component temps and acceptable CPU temps

Finally, where an aircooled solution also cools down the VRM/m2, this will not be the case with an AIO.
If you go with radiator exhausting air out of the case, fresh air will also be pushed through the side panels on the MB side and actively cool the VRMs and M.2s

blackboxed

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 29, 2022
don't have the A4-H2O but had built in T1 v1.1 so this is my experience with this layout

With this airflow path, you'll get the best CPU temps since the AIO draws fresh air from outside, however, it is dumping hotter air into the case, and work directly AGAINST your GPU air cooler. Thus your GPU temps will be much worse and temps of other components will also be higher

This way fresh air will be pulled from outside of the side panels, through the perforation and into the radiator. This will also helps exhaust hotter air coming out of your GPU cooler. Thus best GPU temps, better component temps and acceptable CPU temps

If you go with radiator exhausting air out of the case, fresh air will also be pushed through the side panels on the MB side and actively cool the VRMs and M.2s

Cheers, @thelaughingman!
My takeaway message is that the decrease in cooling efficiency on the CPU is not optimal but acceptable, and the "collateral" cooling of VRM/M.2 by the AIO is adequate.

Additionally, the CPU will probably be fine since I'll be opting for an -F CPU with lower TDW. For the VRM/M.2 I was thinking of (somehow) mounting an extra casefan in there.

I guess my only remaining question is:
Given how the CPU cooling is not optimal, is an AIO setup really that much better than a Noctua NH-L9i / Alpenföhn Black Ridge V2?
I'd compare TDPs, but most manufacturers don't seem to include it in the specsheet.

Really looking forward to building in this case 😄

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Given how the CPU cooling is not optimal, is an AIO setup really that much better than a Noctua NH-L9i / Alpenföhn Black Ridge V2?
I'd compare TDPs, but most manufacturers don't seem to include it in the specsheet.
Yes if you're going to use a 240 AIO - it just has so much more cooling capacity than a 47mm class top-down aircooler. The aircooler route may not be that much worse in terms of CPU temps if you have just fans in the top chamber exhausting out. Without a radiator impeding the air path, the hot air may get exhausted slightly quicker and so the case recycles air in and out faster.

Don't bother compare TDP on cooler manufacturer's website - those # are not translatable / comparable between 1 manufacturer to the next, AND not the same as TDPs listed on Intel/AMD website anyways

Reactions: blackboxed

Vilmir

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2019
I did that at first, I used my NH-L9a at first in my H2O. It won't work well because you won't have any top exhaust fans, your GPU will choke very quickly or run at 100% fans, especially if you have one that pumps 300+ Watts.
You will quickly want an AIO (with silent fans).

blackboxed

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 29, 2022
I did that at first, I used my NH-L9a at first in my H2O. It won't work well because you won't have any top exhaust fans, your GPU will choke very quickly or run at 100% fans, especially if you have one that pumps 300+ Watts.
You will quickly want an AIO (with silent fans).
@Vilmir
Thanks for the input. Why won't you have any exhaust fans at the top though?
I was under the impression I could easily fit two 120mm fans there.

Reactions: rfarmer

irad

Cable Smoosher
May 11, 2019
This is what i did with a 5600x : i kept the L9A with fan duct, and added 2 120mm at the top.
Not temp issue, even with a 6900xt. And not loud either. Very happy :-)
Of course it might be different with another CPU.

xthongyy

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2019
Just wanted to come back and comment that for my Glacier One 240MP, I actually routed the cables OVER the PSU instead of under. There was not enough tube length for under and they got stuck on one of the corners of my SF750. Just wanted to post to save some people the headache I had assembling mine lol

Reactions: Dragon and DaHans

Vilmir

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2019
Sure, you can just mount 2 top fans where the water block would go. I had to while waiting for my 240, my RTX 3080 was dying without them.
I do not remember if you can fix them properly though, I did not to save time.

Reactions: blackboxed