Concept LGA 1700 CPU rear mount contact frame pre order

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm going to be running preorder special on these Beef cake back plates for those who are interested. They will be 20% off until the end of January, when product would ship. See the link for more information.

Gauging interest in a new product.

There has been a lot of discussion on the web regarding processor bending and the issues it can cause on the LGA-1700 socket. I believe the issue has been determined to be that the socket rear plate is not rigid enough for the socket retention force due to the higher pin count on the CPU. This can cause motherboard, socket and CPU bending, all of which can lead to decreased component lifespans. My idea to alleviate said issue would be to machine a socket rear plate and CPU thermal solution mounting plate from a single piece of steel. The new back plate would replace the flimsy stock socket back plate with a plate that is twice as thick. This is similar to how AMD doses their back plates, one piece for socket support and thermal solution mounting. I believe this would be a massive improvement in socket rigidity and could alleviate any bending of the motherboard and socket and possibly improve thermal performance. This design essentially eliminates any motherboard loading. Please let me know your thoughts.

New improved on the left, and the stock on the right.

Thickness comparison

Stock back plate

Modultra Beefcake back plate

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
great idea!

do you think your design would also work on the MSI Z690i UNIFY?

View attachment 1772

I saw THERMALRIGHT is offering a similar product, but mounted on top of the board - and it somehow looks like their solution would not fit on the UNIFY with all the components so close to the socket...

View attachment 1773

This would fit any board that a standard back plate would fit. On the top side there is no change to the board. On the bottom side, the footprint of the base is the same size as the stock bracket, and the other areas are relieved for component clearance.

Thermal Grizzly has a top one as well for EU people. I would check fitment against other mounting brackets like Noctua or Thermalright if this is intending to replace those that mount under the OG plate or if this is intending to work under mounting one of these.

I have seen the top side stiffener plates. Our back plate would be far more rigid than these and will also act as the thermal solution mounting bracket, so it essentially kills 2 birds with one stone for the same price. As for mounting compatibility, it would conform to the Intel keep out zones so it would be compatible with any thermal solution that uses m3 male mounting hardware.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
I mean, I think it would be fantastic. I don't plan on going 12700 anytime soon (My 10900K is still flying) , but there's many people who are, and this would definitely benefit them.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm going to be running preorder special on these Beef cake back plates for those who are interested. They will be 20% off until the end of January, when product would ship. See the link for more information.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
very cool that this can be used in conjunction with a contact frame as well. basically reinforce the socket to the max hahaha too bad LGA1700 will not be used in the next gen