Height Requirements CPU, CPU socket, Spacers

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
So I'm thinking about making a wood case similar to the S3/S4/Custom Mod 2.99L slim.

I don't have any components at the moment though, so I was hoping for some help with a few measurements so I can make the case as thin as possible.

The measurements I still don't know for sure:

-The MININUM space needed between the bottom case panel and the motherboard. Presumably this would be the thickness of cooler mounting plates/screws or a rear mounted m.2 + a mm or two. Since it's probably relevant, I'm considering the Zalman CNPS2X, Noctua NH-L9I/A, and the Silverstone AR05. Possibly the AMD Wraith Stealth or Spire (with a slimmer fan attached). If anyone knows the height of the stealth (doubtful until closer to the 11th), the height of the spire heatsink, or the thickness of the AM4 back mounting plate when installed that would be awesome.

-The height of the cpu socket and cpu. Is it different for am4 vs 1151? I found a picture with an image search saying 3.7mm for the cpu, and 4.2-4.4mm for the cpu socket, but I don't know how accurate those measurements are, if they are valid for current gen components, or if the AMD and intel parts differ in height.

-Height of tallest back I/O component. Basically, if I went with the 27mm tall zalman cooler and custom made a back i/o panel, what part is the tallest, the zalman or the i/o components?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
According to ATX specs, the motherboard standoff height should be at least 6.35mm.

Not sure on AMD, but the top of the IHS on modern Intel CPUs is usually about 8mm above the motherboard.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply @Aibohphobia.

I'm just thinking that there must be somewhere that a few mm can be shaved off. The custommod 2.99l slim is able to fit a 37mm cooler in a 52 mm thick case. After the cooler and outer panels that's only 12 mm for the cpu, cpu socket, motherboard thickness, and standoffs.

Also, the S3 mini fits an l9i in it... @yoyo55 has a pic of his rocking one in another thread. I'm not sure of the S3 mini's dimensions but it looks at least as thin as the custom mod.

I was strongly considering a 2.99L slim, but it won't support 2.5" SSDs under the GPU, at least for the first run, and I've missed the boat on the s3 mini :/. I'm trying to figure out how to make something as close to the S3 as I can... but I don't have any components on hand to measure right now lol.

Reactions: eggDK

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
The S3 mini apparently won't let the lid close with an L9i inside, so I was mistaken on that one :). I saw a pic with an l9i and jumped to conclusions. Regarding the custommod, maybe it's possible to use less than 6.35mm under the motherboard? I'll just follow it's progress and see I guess.

Thank you for replying

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
I've seen several mentions of 4mm standoffs, but even then it seems there's ~2mm missing. Does a 2mm standoff exist as standard? And what about the male thread part of the standoff, that isn't just sticking through the bottom of the case... Somethings definitely off :\

Reactions: BeerNsoup

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
2mm standoffs would be too short, stuff like the M.2 slot is taller than that.
But I guess thats why most of these cases have a large cutuout under the mobo? So the standoffs can go through in the corners, and then an M.2 card would have space dictated by the total length of the standoff..

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
But I guess thats why most of these cases have a large cutuout under the mobo? So the standoffs can go through in the corners, and then an M.2 card would have space dictated by the total length of the standoff..

He's using 1.5mm aluminum... The cutout only clears 1.5 mm. And it's internal space not external. I'm think his case dimensions are internal volume, not external:

5 mm standoffs (specified earlier in the thread, I missed it prior)
+ 1.57mm mobo (atx spec)
+ 7.781mm cpu socket + cpu (per intel spec, although the doc i found this in was for an older gen than current)
+ 37mm cooler
---------------------
51.351 mm

External volume add 3mm (1.5mm x2), so 54.351mm. That's assuming the standoffs are 3.5mm from the tray and the cutout gives 1.5mm extra.

That said. The cooler would be be literally touching the top of the case for those measurements to work, which would potentially hurt cooling performance and add noise. Even that is in a scenario where the external volume is larger than specified.

Reactions: eggDK