Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hey everyone

We were looking into how to support Flex ATX power supplies for this case in the TFX layout, since we got quite a few people asking for it earlier.
I know we call them screamers XD, but if you do have a flex atx power supply then its a waste not to use it right?

We would do this with some extra holes in the rear panel and an extra piece to match some screw locations of the TFX opening. it will be made with the same material as the interior panels, so the color would match as well.

Do you think its worth it to have some extra screw holes on the hear panel for flex atx support? this wouldnt make the case any bigger nor smaller, and it wont affect price.

edit: this is what the case would look like with flex atx power supplies :

extra openings location. we would cover the gap as well.

we did make a blanking plate with a C14 opening already , so if you do use a dc-atx power supply with the TFX Layout you actually have space for water cooling with a 92mm rad if you're into that, as the fan bracket with hdplex mounting points could be used at the same time as the other fan bracket, just like the dc-atx layout.

Reactions: zzmadd and K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
about the blanking plate I mentioned on the last post and what it does add:

basically a c14 mount that you can use to add a dc-atx psu, either with internal ad-dc power supply or via external brick
you can also mount it to the outside of the case, for that extra 8mm of clearance for the power conector..

This case internal height is 93mm, so this would allow for some serious cooling with a double 80mm rad or single 92mm rad.
Important to note that aesteck's 92mm AIO is incompatible because of the width of the radiator at 96mm

but most importantly, some people might have one of those motherboards that have the 24pin conector on the top edge, that would interfere with the fans in dc-atx layout, and that frees up a bit of space for the direct plug PSU like the hdplex 160w or the dynamo mini.

se we got you covered as well.

in case you're in this position but do not need the extra 2.5 drives or the extra case fans, check out the HT5

anyway, who's in for the white and orange? I just realized this will look really good.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for adding the FlexATX compatibility. I think at the low wattage these low profile GPU builds run at a FlexATX PSU is a good budget option - especially if you have one laying around.

Ideally the fans on the PSUs are linked to internal PSU temperature, which should remain cool with the minimal power draw from a CPU and PCIe powered GPU.

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I was double checking the mounting points for the hdplex AC-DC unit since the 400w replaced the 300w this case was intended to use.

the 400w unit is quite long, and I couldn't find a way to fix it in the secondary fan bracket fit with the default c14 plug.

300w above x 400w bellow

so officially, we wont support the 400w ac-dc unit. 160w should be plenty for most system in this case anyway.

if you do intend to use the 400w ac-dc unit for any reason my recommendation is that you fix it with velcro or double-sided tape to the top panel of the case, like this:

Flex ATX power supply support.
we had to add a few openings for the screws and for the psu fan to breath, and used the tfx mounting points to fix it in place.
still, I'd recommend to handling the case with care and keep the psu on the lower side of the case, if use vertically.

also, this arrived earlier this week and @K888D is building a system inside cravo.] today. we will post pics later

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Build log by @K888D as promissed, comments are mine and theres the thermal testing done by him on the end of the post.

Case parts:
Desert Beige Panels
Mandarin orange internals
Timber front

This has been hinted in the last renders but I didn't mentioned it yet
We will be sending a 'snap off' slot cover for both layouts.

the case is actually very strong even whitout the lower exterior panel, and that allows for easy access to the CPU area.

still, its better to attach your m.2 drives beforehand

Thermal Testing
by @K888D

Running the CG7 with Prime95 for the last 45 minutes.

System Specs:

AMD Ryzen 2400G
Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
BeQuiet 300W Gold TFX PSU
Noctua NH-L12S - Set to fan blowing upward (exhaust)
2x 80x25mm Noctua Case Fans - Set as intake

Results after 45 minutes testing:

Aggressive Fan Curve Setup

Prime95 v29.4 -
CPU Temp Max = 66C
Chipset Temp = 47C
CPU Fan Speed = 1720 rpm (100% power)
Case Fan Speed = 1420 rpm (100% power)

System Audible from 3m distance, but not overly loud

Silent Fan Curve Setup

Prime95 v29.4 -
CPU Temp Max = 69C
Chipset Temp = 53C
CPU Fan Speed = 1110 rpm (50% power)
Case Fan Speed = 900 rpm (60% power)

Barely Audible from 3m distance

Phone photo of living room setup:

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
So, with a 47mm CPU cooler, could we add also a 140x150x25 fan on top (like Noctua NF-A15)?
What are the dimensions of the case? I mean in mm.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
So, with a 47mm CPU cooler, could we add also a 140x150x25 fan on top (like Noctua NF-A15)?
What are the dimensions of the case? I mean in mm.
yes it should be possible, but only if it has 120mm fans mounting points, I'm not sure if this model does, I'll have a look.
edit: ok, kinda. the fan mounting points is ok, but with a 47mm cooler theres only 22mm of fan clearance. so only a slim 140mm fan would work on this scenario.

case dimmensions is: 305x227x103mm (horizontal position, no legs or rubber feet)

Reactions: wesbl

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
yes it should be possible, but only if it has 120mm fans mounting points, I'm not sure if this model does, I'll have a look.
edit: ok, kinda. the fan mounting points is ok, but with a 47mm cooler theres only 22mm of fan clearance. so only a slim 140mm fan would work on this scenario.

case dimmensions is: 305x227x103mm (horizontal position, no legs or rubber feet)
Thanks a lot! So a Prolimatech PRO-SAM17(45mm) and a noctua NF-A15 (25mm) should fit :)

Have you tried to test a configuration with psu/fans/GPU on intake and cpu cooler fan on exhaust (like noctua NH-L12S)? I think could be the the best optimized configuration for the airflow, fresh air from sides and exhaust on top.

I really like this project, especially desert beige color!

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks a lot! So a Prolimatech PRO-SAM17(45mm) and a noctua NF-A15 (25mm) should fit :)

Have you tried to test a configuration with psu/fans/GPU on intake and cpu cooler fan on exhaust (like noctua NH-L12S)? I think could be the the best optimized configuration for the airflow, fresh air from sides and exhaust on top.

I really like this project, expecially desert beige color!
Thanks!!

Our last test made here uses this same setup, with an APU but should be close to what you get :
Thermal Testing
by @K888D

Running the CG7 with Prime95 for the last 45 minutes.

System Specs:

AMD Ryzen 2400G
Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
BeQuiet 300W Gold TFX PSU
Noctua NH-L12S - Set to fan blowing upward (exhaust)
2x 80x25mm Noctua Case Fans - Set as intake

Results after 45 minutes testing:

Aggressive Fan Curve Setup

Prime95 v29.4 -
CPU Temp Max = 66C
Chipset Temp = 47C
CPU Fan Speed = 1720 rpm (100% power)
Case Fan Speed = 1420 rpm (100% power)

System Audible from 3m distance, but not overly loud

Silent Fan Curve Setup

Prime95 v29.4 -
CPU Temp Max = 69C
Chipset Temp = 53C
CPU Fan Speed = 1110 rpm (50% power)
Case Fan Speed = 900 rpm (60% power)
Barely Audible from 3m distance

on my case I got the airflow on the oposite direction and it works good as well, its a bit hard to compare because of the different hardware.

Reactions: wesbl

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Thanks.
There will be place for m.2 ssd heatsink (i think 5mm height) for motherboards with the socket on bottom (like Asrock)?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks.
There will be place for m.2 ssd heatsink (i think 5mm height) for motherboards with the socket on bottom (like Asrock)?
I cant say for certain. there is a large cutout on the motherboard panel and we use 6mm standoffs. with the spacing underneath there's around 5mm extra so if it is located inside that cutout area it should be possible, but I have a feeling it will be a no, unfortunately. it looks like its too close to the pci slot.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Any word on a possible order date? My tfx psu showed up today. And also wil that stand be included be aueecit looks incredible.

Reactions: K888D