Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Variants:
1.) Alu Base / Alu Fins / 2 Heat Pipe
2.) Alu Base / Alu Fins / 3 Heat Pipe
3.) Cu Base / Alu Fins / 3 Heat Pipe
4.) Cu Base / Cu Fins / 3 Heat Pipe

Will be testing the Curve against the Cryorig C7 Alum Cryorig C7 Cu, L9i and LP53 + A9x14 combo.
Tests have been done on a 100W thermal load and look promising at that level.
This is the first of four prototypes (copper contact plate, aluminum base, aluminum fin, three heat pipes)
3 heatpipes?

Reactions: sgtspiff

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
on a scale of -10 to +10, how bothered would you be with this? XD
I find it funny how at the beginning it looks like he actually has a plan. Then it turns out that plan was just part of his plan to look like he had a plan as he makes everything up along the way :D The result isn't even remotely close to the design he showed lol

So many things about that heatsink are terrible, but the only one that actually bothers me is the inconsistent spacing of the fins. And it really bothers me lol

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Linus has absolutely nailed the concept of tech infotainment.

Of course how technical or entertaining he is up to the viewers’ interpretation .:cool:

Not a huge fan myself and definitely not a hater.

Regardless, what he has accomplished with his empire if you will is impressive and admirable.

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
im never sure what to think of most of linus' videos. they could have made and honest try at it and i would find it more entertaining.

also they bent the heatpipes. dont they know bent heatpipes makes for worse thermal conductivity from this thread. /s

Im def curious about what kind of innovation you guys have come up with and look forward to the next bit of info.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Late to the party once again, except this time I (almost) didn't miss anything yet! :p
Can't wait to see the proto in action, good luck @Kmpkt !

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
If this significantly out performs the l9i and fits on my asrock z370 board, I'll probably buy it as soon as you start selling it. Anything that will bring down temps on my toasty 8700k in my s4 mini is welcome ;) I was going to try mounting a 120mm noctua fan on my l9i, but I can't on this board. I'm using tall ram, so the fan would have to be slightly over the io, but the io is too tall in a few places for the fan to fit.

Are you willing to give any info on how you expect VRM thermals/airflow to be? I assume you're carefully optimizing air flow through the heatsink for better cpu temps and I'm curious how you think that'll effect VRM thermals.

edit: granted the l9i doesn't do much to cool my VRM since it's parallel to the RAM and the main VRM. It only directly blows on the SOC VRM.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Are you willing to give any info on how you expect VRM thermals/airflow to be? I assume you're carefully optimizing air flow through the heatsink for better cpu temps and I'm curious how you think that'll effect VRM thermals.

I am hopeful that airflow over the VRMs will be superior to conventional solutions.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
a bit off topic: I learnt in the recent NFC stream that it's pronounced KoMPaKT,
not Kilometer Packet
(I'm so sorry (/)_(\ thank goodness I haven't used the name in speech)

Hahaha

I have no idea how to pronounce anything, I just kinda assumed it was compact and Craig never has corrected me. But he is Canadian, and thus very polite. :)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hahaha

I have no idea how to pronounce anything, I just kinda assumed it was compact and Craig never has corrected me. But he is Canadian, and thus very polite. :)

I said it as the letters K, M, P, K, T, for the longest time, and then, thanks to @Josh | NFC's stream, I started saying it Compact. @Kmpkt Please clarify? XD

Reactions: Obelisk

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's meant to be "Compact" but K M P K T is fine also. Also just waiting on my engineer and the engineer with the solder oven to sort things. NDA has been taken care of.