Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

burromorado

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
Unfortunately no, is it related an issue with radiator mounting you're having?
Yeah, it was my mistake in buying the h115i Pro which interferes with my motherboard if I mount the fans inside the case. I currently have it resting on top of the rubber feet on the fan corners. Do you have the diameter and thread pitch of the rod so I can try and fabricate a solution?

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
@KSliger Hello, I just had a few questions about the feet mounting. What are the dimensions on the threaded rod, and would it be possible to extend them ~25mm?

They protrude about 6mm and have an OD of 5mm but I didn't check the thread type.
They can't be easily substituted as they are a pressed in fitting but I suppose you could work out some kind of adapter / spacer that screws on over them.

burromorado

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
They protrude about 6mm and have an OD of 5mm but I didn't check the thread type.
They can't be easily substituted as they are a pressed in fitting but I suppose you could work out some kind of adapter / spacer that screws on over them.
Yeah the idea I had was to make something to join a new segment of threaded rod to it to get the extra length. Thank you for the info.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Thread is 10-32 - but you could pop out the nuts in the feet (unless you have chrome feet as those are tapped) and replace them with any screw or nut to your liking.

burromorado

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
For anyone who happens to run into a similar issue: I intend to use #10-32 coupling nut 3/4" length with #10-32 threaded stud 1" length to extend the studs for the rubber feet to put fans on the underside of the case. I will post pictures later if this works out for me.

lomskat404

Chassis Packer
Mar 12, 2018
Hey! I just placed an order on Cerberus! Can't wait :)

For the air cooler I decided to go with be quiet! Dark Rock Top-Flow. My aim with this build is to make a dead-quiet build for VR and 1440p144hz gaming with a Coffee Lake i7 and next-gen equivalent of GTX1080. Will post pics.

( @KSliger I sent you a pm )

Reactions: KSliger

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
"Handle kit is highly recommended for wood top panels, top panel mounts with 2x screws hidden by handle if present"

Can't you just use glue to attach the wood panel on a regular aluminum panel to avoid using screws?

Also, are there any pictures of the grey case with the walnut top?

BigBlackG

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
Just finished my build. I can it "MiniRipper" - Creative Right.

Build’s Name: MiniRipper (the simple mind)
Operating System/ Storage Platform: UnRaid (To Handle Dockers and a few VMs - Not Used for Storage)
CPU: ThreadRipper 1950x
Motherboard: Asrock X399M Taichi
Chassis: Cerberus mATX Case
Drives: (1) Intel DC P3520 1.2TB PCI-E (1) - 500GB 2.5 Hitachi
RAM: 2x8gb - 16 Gig total (I'm just bitter about ram prices - i know i know Quad Channel - Hopefully I'll get some in a deal)
Add-in Cards: Nvidia K1200 , Intel X710-DA2 SFP+
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
Other Bits: Noctua NH-9U TR4-SP3 CPU Cooler

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Operating System/ Storage Platform: UnRaid (To Handle Dockers and a few VMs - Not Used for Storage)
RAM: 2x8gb - 16 Gig total (I'm just bitter about ram prices - i know i know Quad Channel - Hopefully I'll get some in a deal)

Niçe setup.
How did you power the 2 cpu power connectors from sf600?
Converter pcie to cpu? Cpu pins split?

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017

That's a super nice build! I was dreaming of it but decided to wait for Threadripper 2.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Soules

Caliper Novice
Feb 26, 2018
I'm also curious how you powered that board. @BigBlackG

I also just moved into the Cerberus with a mavimus Gene, 6700k with a delid cooled by a nhc-14, and an EVGA 1070. The loudest thing by far is the sx600g fan. Does any one have the 700 or 800 watt sfxl units? How do they behave in heavy gaming and also cool down?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlackG

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
The loudest thing by far is the sx600g fan. Does any one have the 700 or 800 watt sfxl units? How do they behave in heavy gaming and also cool down?

My Silverstone SX800-LTI is pretty quiet, the only way I can hear it over the 2x120mm CPU fans at load is if I manually prevent the CPU fan RPM from increasing above idle rpm. It seems to spin down/turn off just about instantly after load ends... presumably it will stay on for a bit if heat is too high but I've never noticed. I have a 5.2ghz 8700K and 1080TI SC2 hybrid, so load on it is about as high as anything short of Sky Lake-X builds.

Reactions: Soules

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
The loudest thing by far is the sx600g fan.

I'm running a Corsair SF600 and it's pretty quiet, always a little quieter than the rest of the system at any given load level. One thing I noticed is that when I had nothing mounted on the front of the case below the power supply, the video card (Strix 1080ti) would blow hot air out through the front under load and the PSU would be mostly sucking in that hot GPU exhaust, which made it spin up to high speed and get very loud. I have a temporary little piece of cardboard blanking off the vented area below the PSU on the front side now and it makes a huge difference in PSU fan speed/noise levels. I would recommend the same hack for anyone running a non-blower GPU, or mount an intake fan below the PSU, just don't leave it open.

My Silverstone SX800-LTI is pretty quiet

I agree, I had that PSU first, and it was a little quieter than the Corsair. Unfortunately, mine died and wouldn't turn back on after about a week of use. First time I've ever had a power supply fail, actually. I see a lot of similar experiences in reviews online, so I decided to try a different model. (Also, SFX-L was pretty tight with the Strix card.)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
"Handle kit is highly recommended for wood top panels, top panel mounts with 2x screws hidden by handle if present"

Can't you just use glue to attach the wood panel on a regular aluminum panel to avoid using screws?

Also, are there any pictures of the grey case with the walnut top?

Very difficult to get the wood any thinner than we did (to make USB and button usable) and make it durable, which would be needed for a glued panel.

Also I don't trust glue to hold up for the 10+ year life expectancy of this case, particularly as it's a case targeted towards being frequently transported, panels coming off for access, etc.

Only picture that's close is on the Cerberus page I have one of the black chassis and black handle - grey may look good but I don't have a walnut top at the moment to take a picture.

I'm also curious how you powered that board. @BigBlackG

I also just moved into the Cerberus with a mavimus Gene, 6700k with a delid cooled by a nhc-14, and an EVGA 1070. The loudest thing by far is the sx600g fan. Does any one have the 700 or 800 watt sfxl units? How do they behave in heavy gaming and also cool down?

Would go for the 800W Titanium rated SFX-L with your setup.
Closer you can get to 35%~55% of the PSUs rated load the better.
Ballpark your system should draw ~350-400W at peak load, so you're right there.

I have your same setup with this 800W and the fan is off >90% of the time.

BigBlackG

Cable Smoosher
Mar 14, 2018
Niçe setup.
How did you power the 2 cpu power connectors from sf600?
Converter pcie to cpu? Cpu pins split?

I didn't. The second power connector is optional on some boards and really comes into play if you plan on overclocking -I'm not- (drawing huge power). I'm also using a low powered Quadro 1200k for a GPU so there isn't much stress on the 600W PS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis