JP Artisan Advent series Solid Aluminium ITX computer enclosure; Final Development

Which final finish do you prefer?

• Standard milled > sandblasted with glass beads and then clear coated

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Standard milled > polished > Acid Etching > Anodising

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Standard milled > polished > anodising (dont mind some minor comestic damage)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Standard milled > powdercoated > call it a day ;)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Standard milled > chocolate dip + sugar glazing

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

IMJP

Chassis Packer
Original poster
JP Artisan
Apr 18, 2016
Back with thermal notes For low profile build (Noctua L9i)

Room is at 20 degrees Celcius

4.4ghz 1.2v i5-3570k + GTX 970 OC to 1460mhz for GPU clock, 7484mhz for Memory Clock

Stock Setting for i5- 3570K + GTX 970 OC to 1460mhz for GPU clock, 7484mhz for Memory Clock

Noctua L9i completely unable to keep up with the CPU when it is overclocked. I set the Target CPU value temperature to 65 degrees. Case fans completely went up to 2400rpm (max rpm) inorder to hit the target value which they cant. (Noise is like a turbo jet!!) GPU is happy on the otherhand, since most hot air is exhaust by the case fans at max rpm, gpu is running on 65 degrees celcius average and 38% Fan speed!!

When the CPU is in stock setting, L9i has no problem at all. Case Fans speeds are alright. GPU temps and fans speed are fine, could go lower if the GPU is not OC. There is no problem with a low profile build if you don't oc the CPU.

Now for the next build, 120mm AIO (Antec Kuhler 620) , the balanced configuration for more cooling support while still maintaining the HDD bay option

P.S the AIO is roughly 3 years old, hopefully there is no leakage T__T

I will be on this configuration for few days before moving back to 240mm AIO

In terms of cabling management, this configuration is the most untidy due to the added tubings.

IMJP

Chassis Packer
Original poster
JP Artisan
Apr 18, 2016

So there we have it, after multiple attempts at different type of finishes. I conclude that the finish of the shell will be sandblasted with glass beads media (GBB) and clear coated. The first run is standard milled polish + anodised finish, which I like it. However there are issues about quality control, some units have light scratches and marks from manufacturing, transportation and anodising (clamping + handling), something that is not seen on a piece of sample. This finish is easier if the component has less facing side, like a side panel. GBB finish is the best, it removes scratches and folding marks. After all of these efforts, I can say that I cannot guarantee that each shell is "perfect" from scratches and marks from the outside, GBB comes close to it. Maybe I should powdercoat it and call it a day ;)

I'm still on 120mm AIO configuration, I'm comfortable with this configuration as cooling is sufficient for 4.2ghz OC. The fact that I can still retain my front panel usb 3.0 and my hdd's.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Jeffinslaw's Project mATX is something totally different, what do you mean ?

IMJP

Chassis Packer
Original poster
JP Artisan
Apr 18, 2016
And I am back

I have been busy with quite a lot of stuff for the last few months especially work that I have completely neglected this project. However I managed to find some spare time for the next project :)

ITX graphic card size, if Advent series design is 5 years old, the B series will be completely different.

Furthermore I have bought myself a 3D printer which will help me tremendously for the next prototype. Stay tuned ;) Also website is now live www.jp-artisan.com

Last edited:

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hey JP, great design. Very clean. Very german / japanese ;) (well made)

Would using 2 x AIO's in your case be possible ?
For example, use an AIO for the CPU and use a separate AIO for the GPU ? Something like this card:

http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6288-KR

P.S. I think I have the same keyboard - Microsoft Designer right ? or is that the Matias ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can't wait for this project to pick up, good to have you back ! Are you going to continue the design from this project or start a new one ?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh wow, I completely forgot about this! Website looks good, what CMS are you using? Or was it made with a service like squarespace?

BTW, is the hole for the switch 16mm in diameter or smaller? Maybe some would be interested to put this in place of the stock button ;)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looking forward to the B series case! So I guess that one is more focused on ultimate compactness unlike the Advent series?

IMJP

Chassis Packer
Original poster
JP Artisan
Apr 18, 2016
Hey JP, great design. Very clean. Very german / japanese ;) (well made)

Would using 2 x AIO's in your case be possible ?
For example, use an AIO for the CPU and use a separate AIO for the GPU ? Something like this card:

http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6288-KR

P.S. I think I have the same keyboard - Microsoft Designer right ? or is that the Matias ?

2 X 120mm AIO watercooling is definitely possible. The only problem with that EVGA card is that extra width of the tubing. The card is 128mm, not including the dimension of tubing, so its gonna be a tight fit or simply impractical ;(. The case can fit up to 140mm like the GTX 970 Strix Series by Asus.

Haha nah, its just an A4tech keyboard. My Logitech TK820 is with my TV atm. I'm looking at the surface AIO, especially the keyboard, it is just pretty.

I can't wait for this project to pick up, good to have you back ! Are you going to continue the design from this project or start a new one ?

It will follow the design principle from the Advent Series apart from standard milled finish, the QC was such a nightmare on that batch >.>

Oh wow, I completely forgot about this! Website looks good, what CMS are you using? Or was it made with a service like squarespace?

BTW, is the hole for the switch 16mm in diameter or smaller? Maybe some would be interested to put this in place of the stock button ;)

Thanks! Wix has the unfortunate property of being exactly pronounced like the German word "Wichs" which directly translates to the imperative "Masturbate!". It is also the name of a special kind of garment, as I just found out.

Haha it is just WIX, I got lazy. Yep 16mm diameter for those popular vandal switches. I did have a couple of blue and white led but I found them to be very bright at night.

Looking forward to the B series case! So I guess that one is more focused on ultimate compactness unlike the Advent series?

B series is more compact, storage spaces are definitely gone. I might flat pack the design for shipping cost but we will see ;) I will post more development on B Series down the track. Atm I'm looking at two different routes for B series. I still need to organise everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeD