Prototype Xolid 13: clear side panel and extensive compatibility (Update in first post)

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
I'm thinking, if one was to put a custom loop in there, what's the best place to put a small reservoir?

Also is there an ETA please?

I think the best place to place a custom reservoir is the anterior inferior part of the case, at the place occupied by 3.5 inch HDD (s)

We hope it can hit crowdfunding platform before Q3

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
A few (probably dumb) questions. It looks like you guys have a great idea here. Will you guys be offering a side panel that isn't clear? I'd personally love that option. Also, if there are options of the case without the disc drive on the "top", would the case be able to be used in a horizontal position? It looks like the thumbscrews you guys are using would be adequate feet for that orientation. In terms of features, this case is incredibly interesting to me. I'm just really looking for a horizontal orientation. The panel being clear I can live with if need be. Keep up the good work! Very nice

Of course, there will be an option of solid metal/ mesh panels

You don't want ODD? Can do that, I'm sure there will be an option without ODD and you won't even see the hole of ODD on it.

And, yes, I think it will be fine to use it in a horizontal position

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Guys,

In the past, there's always been all-metal cases or all-wood custom cases.

But that may change.

In fact, there's an inside debate of whether we should use wood (or bamboo) on the case, for decoration.

It will certainly add some texture and uniqueness to the case, at the cost of increase in price (20 USD at most, I assume)

Please let us know your thoughts!

Cheers

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Our first prototype has arrived about a week ago!

Here are some pictures

cfortney

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017
www.chrisfortney.com
This is super cool! I love this concept, I've actually been toying around with a design for weeks that is pretty similar. Yours is much better executed, as I was hoping to do mine as a 1-off so I need to rely on designing around easily constructed parts (aluminum square tubing). It's funny you mention the bamboo, my plan is to buy a cheap bamboo cutting board, cut it down, and mount it to the front of the case. Here's what I've got. I thought it would be easiest for me to cut the tempered glass into two halves, and maybe makeshift a dust filter into the space inbetween where the GPU breathes. The radiator mounting area up top is designed to support the Arctic Freezer 240 with 4x fans, because that's the AIO I plan to buy. It works out to about 13.5L

]

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Hey guys,

I know this has been a while, but we have come a long way and finally came up with our 3rd prototype (nothing major will change afterwards, except for the footstand, we are still working on that)

We are now going to test the thermals under different conditions (enthusiastic gamer/ low noise level/ with meshed side panel and with glass panel)

If you want to participate in our beta project, please message me (you will receive a new model if we make it through production)

Last edited:

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
what's the largest size radiator that can be installed?

A 120*240mm radiator. However, half of the airflow to the radiator may be partially blocked when a full sized VGA is also installed (as shown in the render and the photos above) There's a gap between the VGA and the radiator, so I assume the radiator is still able to inhale cool air from the bottom of the case

Cheers

Last edited:

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
darn -was hoping it would fit a 140mm width radiator (aquacomputer). thanks for the speedy reply!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Love the design of this case - PM'd regarding beta testing.

On a side note - if you went down the wood path you should use some steel parts and patina them.
I'm slightly obsessed with the idea of a rust/wood and copper tubed build at the moment haha!

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Love the design of this case - PM'd regarding beta testing.

On a side note - if you went down the wood path you should use some steel parts and patina them.
I'm slightly obsessed with the idea of a rust/wood and copper tubed build at the moment haha!

Thanks!

Yeah we'll definitely try some combination of wood+ metal in future cases (if we ever made that far?)

Reactions: CountNoctua

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Thanks!

Yeah we'll definitely try some combination of wood+ metal in future cases (if we ever made that far?)

Prototype looks fantastic. I have to 2nd Tazpr, a wood/metal blend would look amazing.

Also Pmed about potential beta testing if you are still looking for participants. Best of luck as you get closer to production!

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Prototype looks fantastic. I have to 2nd Tazpr, a wood/metal blend would look amazing.

Also Pmed about potential beta testing if you are still looking for participants. Best of luck as you get closer to production!

Yeah, I agree that wood+metal rocks, but unfortunately we can't make it happen in the current model

I can assure you that our future cases would feature that

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity