Prototype Xolid 13: clear side panel and extensive compatibility (Update in first post)

Platypus

Efficiency Noob
Oct 30, 2019
This looks amazing.

It also looks like it would be somewhat flimsy, is this the case? Although not realistic could one just throw this in there bag and travel?

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
This looks amazing.

It also looks like it would be somewhat flimsy, is this the case? Although not realistic could one just throw this in there bag and travel?

I believe it's stronger than most of cases, since the aluminium we use is thicker.

It should be ok to be carried around and suffer some knock without deformation

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

thatonegirlt

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 4, 2019
Question on allowed GPU depth! On the first page, the case dimensions say (H x W x D): 322 x 138 x 310mm. Isn't it actually a depth of 138mm? If it's 138mm, is the 85mm for CPU cooler space also the same for the GPU depth? For instance- I have an MSI 1660 TI Gaming X which is a 2.3slot gpu at 127 H x 247 W (length)x 46mm D. Many of these concept 2 slot gpu cases cut off the depth at the exact 42mm these cards are supposed to use up, trying to figure out if this case is an exception. New to SFFPCs so apologies if it's a silly question.

Last edited:

esseun

Cable Smoosher
New User
Dec 10, 2019
Love the case and design - seems very functional even for air cooling.

One question I had was that if I have the 240mm radiator slot pushing air out of the case, would it be a problem for the PSU intake? It seems like the PSU might collect that hot air right back into itself.

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Question on allowed GPU depth! On the first page, the case dimensions say (H x W x D): 322 x 138 x 310mm. Isn't it actually a depth of 138mm? If it's 138mm, is the 85mm for CPU cooler space also the same for the GPU depth? For instance- I have an MSI 1660 TI Gaming X which is a 2.3slot gpu at 127 H x 247 W (length)x 46mm D. Many of these concept 2 slot gpu cases cut off the depth at the exact 42mm these cards are supposed to use up, trying to figure out if this case is an exception. New to SFFPCs so apologies if it's a silly question.

The dimensions listed in the spec are measured outside of the case. However, the graphic card and CPU are not on exactly the same "depth" (they are parallel, just not on the same plane). Our design can fit 2-slot-graphic cards, and most of 3-slot-ones well, but the inlet airflow will be blocked under 3-slot GPUs (thus, we recommend using vented side panel in that configuration)

Welcome to the word of ITX!

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Love the case and design - seems very functional even for air cooling.

One question I had was that if I have the 240mm radiator slot pushing air out of the case, would it be a problem for the PSU intake? It seems like the PSU might collect that hot air right back into itself.

Thank you! We've designed panels behind the radiator slot, blocking the hot air from entering PSU.

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
Any updates? I'm looking for an aluminum console style case and this seems to fit the bill nicely. But I may need a case sooner rather than later. I know that you are not planning on offering a ventilated side panel, but I would like one as I prefer air cooling. Maybe design it so you can use the right and left side panels interchangeably? Would also be nice if there was a top rear exhaust fan as an option as well. One can dream!

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
I'm glad that I was mistaken regarding the glass side panel; you guys seem to be offering a ventilated aluminum one. That's a great idea as I feel that many people don't like babying their tempered glass cases when they travel. I know it's probably too late, but I think it would be neat if there was enough space behind the motherboard that if one decided to forgo the ODD option, that you can instead put a slim fan there instead to blow air on the back of the MB to cool the back of the CPU and rear M.2 drives better. Again, let me know if there are any updates on the project!

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
I so wish this case would go into production but alas it doesn't seem like I can find any recent updates and the OP hasn't been around the forums in awhile. I even messaged without a response. Perhaps another dead end project unfortunately. Please prove me wrong!

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I'll be building my new PC over the holidays, though I probably won't finish gathering all the parts until early next year. If that works, I'd be happy to test this case with those new parts.