Prototype J-Hack Pure Mk2 APU case

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Oh, so its a capacitive one, not a push button. Thats interesting.

Ah, I mean it'll be an available configuration.

So I'm working on the Kickstarter campaign, it'll likely go live in about 2-3 weeks. Work issues and Covid-19 has been wrecking our everyday life.

Anyways, I hope for the best! I still owe you guys are build video so I'm working on that as well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey guys.

Some update. Have been very busy with a lot of work. Got prototype V2, and I'll have to get some weekend time to look at it.

I'll likely be doing a pre-order instead of kickstarter now. COVID19 has really wrecked supply chain, so plans have changed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Breaking Radio Silence. May 2020 Update.
To: The SFF Enthusiasts,

2020 has been quite the ride. I would first like to thank you all for your support. You guys keep the J-Hack dream alive.

I would like to address the biggest topic for J-Hack, the Pure Mk2 release and moving forward. J-Hack has been a passion project of mine, and it's amazing to see how much it has grown. But with this growth, and in this turbulent times, I have begun to question the ethics and the moral judgement of what drives me and what the future of J-Hack will be.

I have always thought about what principles drive the decision making process. In this global age, many of the products we enjoy are sourced overseas. Some of them are questionably made. I have lamented the lack of a manufacturing base for our entrepreneurs. You see it everyday -- a kickstarter project, ideas, novel inventions, all manufactured overseas. As I yearned for a return to the spirit of making to return to USA, I realized this is something I must take personal action in.

...Made in USA.

In the wake of the pandemic, it showed how vulnerable our supply chain is and how dependent we are on countries thousands of miles away for the products we need and use everyday. And consequently, it has also shown how it important is to support our local business. The more local dollars we spend, the more we thrive together, as a community. I feel that it is time to walk the walk.

The Pure Mk2 will be made in USA. This consequently increases costs. As a passion project, I have the luxury of taking risks. But that is okay. I rather go down supporting our local industry and neighbors than be a hypocrite to my own ideals. It will stand along the Pure X and the Pure XL proudly, as locally manufactured cases.

Kickstarting the Pure Mk2.

The Pure Mk2 will come to Kickstarter this May. Due to supply chain issues, I will be scaling down the overall scope of the possible configurations. The initial kickstarter will include two versions: case only and GPU ready. More to come in the following weeks.

Best wishes for everyone, thank you for all of your support,
Hieu Nguyen, J-Hack Owner

Coors317

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 12, 2020
Hi everyone. New to the forum but I've had a love for building small computers for quite some time. I just found J-Hack a couple days ago and I'm excited for the Pure Mk2. I know it's probably too late for my feedback to be useful but I'll give it anyway. I am one of the people that hates external power bricks. Power supply inside the case is a must for me. I can also argue for and against supporting low profile graphics cards but if I don't want one, I don't want there to be an empty hole in my case. The case must be as small as possible or it will bug me. My perfect cases would be as follows:

Pure: Would be as minimalist as possible. ITX mobo support with just enough room for the smallest AC-DC power supply and one 2.5" ssd mounting spot. (Not everyone has an m.2 motherboard and it would allow people to use older ssds that they have lying around.)

Pure X: Basically the same concept but this case would support a dual slot low profile graphics card as well.

I don't want to take anything away from the current Pure X because I do like it a lot (I'm probably going to buy one), but I think I would like it better if the shape was different. The proportions are off to me. I like flatter wider cases. What I am picturing is something like the Pure Mk2 with the dual slot gpu on one side of the motherboard and something smaller than a flex atx psu on the other. I don't know much about any psus other than the standard atx, sfx stuff but I imagine there has to be something shorter than a flex atx psu turned on its side that is just as powerful.

Anyway, I'm done rambling. I am a sff case whore and will definitely be buying a Pure Mk2 when they are ready. I won't be putting a gpu in it, it's internal psu for me.

Keep up the good work J-Hack.

Coors317

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 12, 2020
I don't think I can edit my post but I just wanted to add that I don't mind paying a little extra to have the stuff I buy made in the USA. Similarly, I don't mind paying a little more for a quality power supply.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't think I can edit my post but I just wanted to add that I don't mind paying a little extra to have the stuff I buy made in the USA. Similarly, I don't mind paying a little more for a quality power supply.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your feedback is welcome at any time. I'll address the ones I feel important.

PURE: the Pure is actually really close to being size optimized. It fits the smallest power supply that we can get it reasonably on the market. Yes, you will be able to install a pcie m.2, up to 2 2.5 and one of the smallest power supply per your dream setup.

I cannot make it reasonably smaller until newer GAN power supply are available for on the market.

The Pure X we just differ on vision. That doesn't mean that the product you describe can't exist. I run J-Hack in addition to my full time job, so I can't quite devote myself to all the marketing and product design to be a fully fledged operations. I focus on getting the product into the hands of my customers on time and delivering good customer service.

Without GAN tech wide availability, the flex atx size is about the most power dense format we can get. There are a couple other possible ones, but they're definitely not user friendly, and their cost increases due to low production.

leo1981

Chassis Packer
May 25, 2020
Planning for a new computer and new to Sff world. No gaming.
I am looking for a brickless configuration using the Meanwell RPS-120 or 200.
Is there enough space for a Lp single slot card with the PCIe riser?
Meanwell rating drops when only convection is used, how much air flow is generate in the Psu area when the riser and a card are installed?
Would a card like the Radeon wx 2100 35w fit with the Meanwell? Or is the Apu a better solution for this case?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Planning for a new computer and new to Sff world. No gaming.
I am looking for a brickless configuration using the Meanwell RPS-120 or 200.
Is there enough space for a Lp single slot card with the PCIe riser?
Meanwell rating drops when only convection is used, how much air flow is generate in the Psu area when the riser and a card are installed?
Would a card like the Radeon wx 2100 35w fit with the Meanwell? Or is the Apu a better solution for this case?

There is not enough space for LP card and psu, without going into some very custom stuff.

Your best choice for LP card is to use an external PSU.

Reactions: leo1981

Coors317

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 12, 2020
Will you be getting the Meanwell power supplies back in stock? I was going to preorder the Mk2 and I was hoping to put everything I would need regarding the power supply on my order as well.

Blake1206

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2020
Good morning!

Do you happen to have any side-by-side pictures/renderings of the Pure mk2 vs the Pure X? Interested in a visual size comparison.

A size comparison between the Pure mk1 and Pure mk2 would be nice too.

Thanks!

Reactions: DrHudacris