Prototype J-HACK PLUGin 200X

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Is this meant to be a complete replacement for your current 160W plug-in unit? Also like @robbee I too would have hoped to see some PCIe power support for the <120-130W GPUs that use more power than the motherboard can provide, but still firmly on the lower end of things (GTX 1650 Super, under-volted RX 470). As the HDPLEX plug-in unit supports the same.

If that isn't possible, then I'll just have to try wiring Molex to PCIe adapters and use at my own discretion. Josh has pushed over 250W on the Pico and I'm not even going to go over 200.

I had previously owned the KMPKT Dynamo which provided 200W well with a combo of RX 570 and 65W CPU which did really well after some undervolting.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is this meant to be a complete replacement for your current 160W plug-in unit? Also like @robbee I too would have hoped to see some PCIe power support for the <120-130W GPUs that use more power than the motherboard can provide, but still firmly on the lower end of things (GTX 1650 Super, under-volted RX 470). As the HDPLEX plug-in unit supports the same.

If that isn't possible, then I'll just have to try wiring Molex to PCIe adapters and use at my own discretion. Josh has pushed over 250W on the Pico and I'm not even going to go over 200.

I had previously owned the KMPKT Dynamo which provided 200W well with a combo of RX 570 and 65W CPU which did really well after some undervolting.

What ac-dc would you use it with? And this is for your case design?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
What ac-dc would you use it with? And this is for your case design?
I used the Dell GA240PE1-00 for the AC-DC adapter, which comes with a 19V barrel plug. And yes, my case design will be made to support J-Hack power boards among others.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I used the Dell GA240PE1-00 for the AC-DC adapter, which comes with a 19V barrel plug. And yes, my case design will be made to support J-Hack power boards among others.

This is kind of the issue though. It is 12V. It'd be 240W is a good power output point, but it is a 19V. 12V external units are not very common.

If the case supports RPS-400, then you should follow on the M2426 thread. The M2426 supports standby power on RPS-400 so you can support the full 400W power with a single Plugin board.

Of course this supports it as well, but the M2426 hits a lower price point.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I would be staying within the 200W limit for the 12V version, though, so a internal AC unit is what I have in mind for a future build. As you have been doing currently with the 160W AC unit and MeanWell RPS-200-12. The AC unit will get ventilation in order to support the full wattage.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I would be staying within the 200W limit for the 12V version, though, so a internal AC unit is what I have in mind for a future build. As you have been doing currently with the 160W AC unit and MeanWell RPS-200-12. The AC unit will get ventilation in order to support the full wattage.

If you go for external AC-DC there is a 12v 18a power brick from DELL. I think it would be sufficient. Only problem is to find a good barrel connector which is rated for that power.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Thehack was kind enough to send me an older prototype of his new DC-ATX to try out. The design is slim even with the 4pin molex connectors. The bright LED is an easy fix with a permanent marker. Compared to something like the G-Unique DC-ATX, this is only slightly larger. I'm using a Ryzen 3700X, and GT 1030. Doing some quick stress tests it looks like I am only able to pull max 150W at the wall. Either need to try overclocking or get a more powerful GPU to test. :)

The CPU power wiring is too long in these photos, but I think I just used the longer of two cables Thehack sent me.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack was kind enough to send me an older prototype of his new DC-ATX to try out. The design is slim even with the 4pin molex connectors. The bright LED is an easy fix with a permanent marker. Compared to something like the G-Unique DC-ATX, this is only slightly larger. I'm using a Ryzen 3700X, and GT 1030. Doing some quick stress tests it looks like I am only able to pull max 150W at the wall. Either need to try overclocking or get a more powerful GPU to test. :)

The CPU power wiring is too long in these photos, but I think I just used the longer of two cables Thehack sent me.

Thank you for sharing. Feel free to share any issues, bugs, etc.

The above is prototype V1; I have prototype V2, and V3 is being worked on.

One of the differences is the LED will be white instead, and it is already much dimmer in V2. The rest of the difference is in layout and the choice of modular connector for SATA/AUX functions.

I do encourage you to stress test it as well, especially up to the max your brick can handle. :)

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
That's great. Thanks for testing.

if you still have something like a 125w GPU flying around maybe you could check the idea to split the 12v output and see if it's working. :cool: then we would have some alternative to HDplex.

Which AC-DC brick are you using?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
That's great. Thanks for testing.

if you still have something like a 125w GPU flying around maybe you could check the idea to split the 12v output and see if it's working. :cool: then we would have some alternative to HDplex.

Which AC-DC brick are you using?

Sadly, I'll likely have to leave that to Thehack. He might be willing to send another old prototype out, or I could even forward this one on to someone.

I'm using an Adapter Tech ATS200T-P120 192W from mini-box.com.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack how do these dimensions match up?

The unit sits 44.5 mm above the motherboard, and overhangs about 6 mm.

It is designed to fit in cases that can use a 37 mm CPU cooler. I am not sure where the 41 mm spec comes from, but the CPU IHS usually sits about 8 mm above the motherboard. The Velka 3 fits a 37 mm cooler.

44.5 mm - 8 = 36.5 mm (equivalent to a 37 mm cooler).

Reactions: AMv8-1day

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
It will interfere with part of the frame since it is about 3.5 mm too tall.
There you have it.

In most cases, it'll fit with a 37 mm cooler equivalent height unless there are bends/parts in the way.

Much appreciate the info guys!
Guess I will have to keep looking for my 200W internal solution.
Has anyone had any experience with the flexible male-female 24-pin extension/adapters? I could relocate the DC-ATX unit up to 9" away.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Much appreciate the info guys!
Guess I will have to keep looking for my 200W internal solution.
Has anyone had any experience with the flexible male-female 24-pin extension/adapters? I could relocate the DC-ATX unit up to 9" away.

Should work just fine, if you have space to tuck the parts somewhere else. Just make sure the Plugin unit is not touch any metal to prevent shorts.