Prototype J-Hack Pure Mk2 APU case

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hello guys. Thank for all the feedback and the taking the survey.

I would like to discuss some pledges situation with the community.

Currently these are the packages I am thinking of providing:

1. PURE MK2 Case only.

2. PURE MK2 GPU Ready

3. Pure MK2 w/ 120W internal kit.

4. Pure Mk2 w/ 150W external kit, GPU ready.

The 120W internal kit will be a good value option for those using a 3400G/3200G. Those not interested in pushing overclocks are well served by this.

The 150W external will readily power lower end CPUs and a 75W GPU. Will work with 3600 (gaming the load isn't high) or anything lighter.

There is a of interest for a 200W external unit. This will serve those looking to overclock or want to really push their system. This means an 8 core + 75W GPU or something more CPU heavy.

This means bringing to market a brand new 200W DC-DC unit. Secondly, it also means sourcing a 200W AC-DC external unit. It can be pretty expensive.

Currently the best candidate is the XP Power 220W External Adapter. It goes for a cool $75 in bulk order. If I am to offer it as a package, I cannot sell it cheaper than distributors, as there is overhead for me. So, this ends up being a fairly expensive ordeal, at the cost of at least $130 just for a 200W solution (AC-DC + DC-DC). This doesn't include from that additional stress/risk of bring a new DC-ATX unit to market. The ideal situation for me is to bring the total cost of an external kit down to $110 or lower for a good quality (including tech support) unit.

So what are your thoughts on these ramblings?

* Do the pledges appeal to you?

* Would you prefer the cheaper $90 power kit from PicoPSU anyways?

* How important is a 200W unit to you? Yes, actual 200W rated continuous. (in comparison, the HDPLEX 200W is only 160W continuous, though it's 19V platform).

Feel free to add any other thoughts you want to share.

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019

1. PURE MK2 Case only.

2. PURE MK2 GPU Ready

The 120W internal kit will be a good value option for those using a 3400G/3200G. Those not interested in pushing overclocks are well served by this.

The 150W external will readily power lower end CPUs and a 75W GPU. Will work with 3600 (gaming the load isn't high) or anything lighter.

There is a of interest for a 200W external unit. This will serve those looking to overclock or want to really push their system. This means an 8 core + 75W GPU or something more CPU heavy.

This means bringing to market a brand new 200W DC-DC unit. Secondly, it also means sourcing a 200W AC-DC external unit. It can be pretty expensive.

Currently the best candidate is the XP Power 220W External Adapter. It goes for a cool $75 in bulk order. If I am to offer it as a package, I cannot sell it cheaper than distributors, as there is overhead for me. So, this ends up being a fairly expensive ordeal, at the cost of at least $130 just for a 200W solution (AC-DC + DC-DC). This doesn't include from that additional stress/risk of bring a new DC-ATX unit to market. The ideal situation for me is to bring the total cost of an external kit down to $110 or lower for a good quality (including tech support) unit.

* How important is a 200W unit to you? Yes, actual 200W rated continuous. (in comparison, the HDPLEX 200W is only 160W continuous, though it's 19V platform).

For me, this case give two use cases that makes sense:

1. A Ryzen 3200G / 3400G office workstation PC capable of doing light CAD work or as a HTPC / Retro "Console". Brickless is a big deal here, as otherwise pretty much nothing competes with the ASRock A300 DeskMini at the moment (Case + PSU + Motherboard for below $150? Yes please!).

2. A small compute heavy server, for running number crunching, put it inside a robot or similar fun research-y stuff. Ideally, I'd like to fit something like a Ryzen 3950X in there with a low-power GPU just to be able to troubleshoot and install easily. A GPU is not a must in this case though.

Of course, that's just from my perspective, I understand if the market wants to go a different route. :)

Lordofcloud

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 4, 2020
Is there possibility of having an internal power supply with a higher watts (150w - 160w internal kit). My old APU, A10-7850K, takes 124w full load (more or less).
In this way you can cover both segment: new and old APUs.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is there possibility of having an internal power supply with a higher watts (150w - 160w internal kit). My old APU, A10-7850K, takes 124w full load (more or less).
In this way you can cover both segment: new and old APUs.

You should be fine on a 120w unit, as the continuous output is 120w, max is like 150w.

Post launch there will be 200w units, and a possible upgraded 200w dc-atx unit.

It is also $30 cheaper than the 200w max unit.

Zimballa

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 6, 2020

1. PURE MK2 Case only.

2. PURE MK2 GPU Ready

I'll be building a new system later this year, and so far the Pure has caught my attention the most. I was wanting something small, so I was originally going to go APU till I saw the specs for the Mk2 with the lp GPU. For me, a package with either the 150w or potential 200w. 200 would maybe give a little room if I wanted to go a little higher spec, so I would probably lean in that direction.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
After watching the video,i thought power switch might interfere with hdplex picopsu.
After watching the video,i thought power switch might interfere with hdplex picopsu.

I can't confirm the fitment of the hdplex anyways. The new version has an excessively large heatsink. If it does fit, it wouldn't interfere with most motherboards.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Quick update:

Pure Mk2 prototype 2 submitted for manufacturing. Should get it back in 3 weeks.

---

I'll also be gone for most of March on a work trip so the store will be on hiatus from now. If you want to order, please do so by 27 Feb. This means Kickstarter live date will be in APR.

1H8ME2

Case Bender
New User
Mar 23, 2019
I read your response about not guaranteeing the fitment of the HDPlex 200w. On the product description page for the Pure MK2 it says it is compatible with the HDPlex 160w but there have been some changes to that model over the time it was being produced so I am not sure which one has been measured. I compared the measurements for the two and they appear to be nearly identical in depth.

On the Lone 5 forum, page 681 (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-industries-l5-4-6l-mini-itx.9637/page-35), Lone actually did a superimposed comparison of the two which I think is helpful. I am debating between waiting for the Pure MK2 or buying the Lone 5. My 24 PIN ATX socket is facing towards the front of the Pure MK2 (MSI B450I).

With this information in mind, would it seem likely to fit if the 24 pin ATX is facing the front of the case? If still unsure, would you happen to know the gap between the motherboard and front of the case in MM? I can measure my HDPlex 200w to confirm fitment with that information. Sorry if this was wordy. I tried to keep everything organized so as not to be too broad.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I read your response about not guaranteeing the fitment of the HDPlex 200w. On the product description page for the Pure MK2 it says it is compatible with the HDPlex 160w but there have been some changes to that model over the time it was being produced so I am not sure which one has been measured. I compared the measurements for the two and they appear to be nearly identical in depth.

On the Lone 5 forum, page 681 (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-industries-l5-4-6l-mini-itx.9637/page-35), Lone actually did a superimposed comparison of the two which I think is helpful. I am debating between waiting for the Pure MK2 or buying the Lone 5. My 24 PIN ATX socket is facing towards the front of the Pure MK2 (MSI B450I).

With this information in mind, would it seem likely to fit if the 24 pin ATX is facing the front of the case? If still unsure, would you happen to know the gap between the motherboard and front of the case in MM? I can measure my HDPlex 200w to confirm fitment with that information. Sorry if this was wordy. I tried to keep everything organized so as not to be too broad.

There is clearance around the 24 pin for it to fit, but I think the bigger issue is if it can be installed, due to the way the metal flanges are. My new 12V 200W design should be similar in terms of sizing so I'll do a fit check and adjust the design as needed.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Jello

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey guys,

Currently the expected Kickstarter goal is $5,000. It's a fairly small number because I am able to fund half of it myself at least but I need to offset some of the initial costs. I want a gauge of demand. If you're on the fence about it, don't worry, I will put in a batch quantity greater than the kickstarter amount so it'll still be available post kickstarter. However, once the case ships, the cost may increase 5-10%. I have only estimated the manufacturing costs so far.

These are the rewards I have determined (subject to change until launch):

1 - Case only - $85
2 - Case w/ Riser - $110
3 - Case w/ 120W internal kit - 160
4 - Case w/ 150W external kit, GPU ready - 205

Once the kickstarter is completed and the supply is established, my next project will be working on the J-Hack Plugin 200X kit, a 200W beast of a unit. And maybe a 300W as well? :)

DKsystem

Average Stuffer
Sep 13, 2016
Regarding Picopsu fitment, I'm worried some motherboard with 24pin layout too near the screw hole may intersect with power button(i.e. Asus A320i, B450i)
Have you considered making power button on the rear side?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Regarding Picopsu fitment, I'm worried some motherboard with 24pin layout too near the screw hole may intersect with power button(i.e. Asus A320i, B450i)
Have you considered making power button on the rear side?

I prefer the front location. I'll see if there is a short capacitive 16 mm switch available.

The rear is also pretty much packed out of space too.