Prototype J-Hack Pure Mk2 APU case

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
In terms of what features and size you go with, I think it depends on if you want to keep the PURE X around. If you're planning on it, then a product stack that looks like this makes sense:
  • PURE: Either a UHP or a LP GPU and external PSU (so basically either an APU case or a mini S4M)
  • PURE X: LP GPU and UHP/Flex ATX
  • PURE XL: Full-height ITX GPU, SFX PSU
As long as the PURE X exists I don't think the extra volume to support both a UHP and a LP GPU simultaneously is worth it. If you're planning to simplify your lineup then yeah, consolidate the PURE and the PURE X. But otherwise giving folks more options in a similar size on the PURE Mk2 is the way to go.

People generally are also wary of Picopsu as well. Even if they offer similar capabilities, people feel more comfortable using an off the shelf PSU from brands they're familiar or see often.

The UHP power supply requires you to use screw terminals, and I would say 95% of people are not comfortable with that.

So even if given similar capabilities most would not use UHP. Which I guess also further the argument to not support it. The nice thing is UHP is very cost effective. There is a nice 200w GAN unit that I'll be testing and possibly fielding, but that is expected to be $100 just for the brick compared to $60 UHP.

For external, it ends up leaving us with only two choices: Minibox or the HDPLEX. External psu unit has taken a nosedive and fewer and fewer people are going for them.

Last edited:

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019
So right now the chassis sits at 3.2L. If we remove UHP support, we can bring it down to 3L. I think I can squeeze it in a couple more places and hit 47mm cooler clearance + LP and UHP support at 3.3L.

I like the idea to remove UHP-200 support to bring volume down. Then users would need to choose between internal AC-DC PSU and LP GPU, but those who want both could simply get the Pure X.

I'm trying to grasp how the Mk2 without UHP-200 support would differ from the Mk1. From what I understand it'd be:
  • case width increases from 225mm to ~256mm
  • case depth slightly increases from 193mm to ~195mm
  • case height either stays at ~69mm (for 3.3L-3.4L) or gets reduced to 61mm (for 3.0L)
  • AC-DC PSU mounting location moves to the PCIe slot side of the motherboard
  • additional vents for the GPU at the bottom of the case
In terms of feature changes that'd mean:
  • support for a mini-ITX motherboard and either LP GPU or internal AC-DC PSU
  • support for a Flex-ATX motherboard
  • support for up to 2x 2.5" SSD's atop of an RPS-200 (or atop a single-slot GPU in the lower slot)
  • with the 61mm option: loss of 48mm CPU cooler support
  • with the ~69mm option: increase of volume by 0.3L-0.4L
Does that sum it up correctly?

Reactions: Windfall

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I like the idea to remove UHP-200 support to bring volume down. Then users would need to choose between internal AC-DC PSU and LP GPU, but those who want both could simply get the Pure X.

I'm trying to grasp how the Mk2 without UHP-200 support would differ from the Mk1. From what I understand it'd be:
  • case width increases from 225mm to ~256mm
  • case depth slightly increases from 193mm to ~195mm
  • case height either stays at ~69mm (for 3.3L-3.4L) or gets reduced to 61mm (for 3.0L)
  • AC-DC PSU mounting location moves to the PCIe slot side of the motherboard
  • additional vents for the GPU at the bottom of the case
In terms of feature changes that'd mean:
  • support for a mini-ITX motherboard and either LP GPU or internal AC-DC PSU
  • support for a Flex-ATX motherboard
  • support for up to 2x 2.5" SSD's atop of an RPS-200 (or atop a single-slot GPU in the lower slot)
  • with the 61mm option: loss of 48mm CPU cooler support
  • with the ~69mm option: increase of volume by 0.3L-0.4L
Does that sum it up correctly?

Correct. Though Flex and UHP support goes hand in hand.

The way forward is likely will drop flex support and go for about 3.0 target.

Overall depth shrink to 190mm or 187mm overall. Width is 244mm overall currently. I'm shrinking a couple areas as best I can. 47mm cooler height support is likely.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If you go for that, could you consider keeping the 48mm of Mk1 instead of going to 47mm? That would keep compatibility for combinations like NH-L9a with a 25mm fan.
The 25mm has never been a great choice due to turbulence. And it doesn't offer more performance since the cooler isn't airflow starved. The new black noctua slim fan will take care of the aesthetics issue. 47mm clearance is more for black ridge.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I would say that most people could never tell the .3L difference.
Based on the name, I'm assuming it's designed by and for SFF purists. I've seen those people posting on these forums and they seem like the type of people who would notice a 10% difference in volume. ? I personally wouldn't mind the difference for the added features but I do appreciate the alternative for people who want as little volume as possible.

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
The only thing stopping me from getting the J-Hack Pure is the max cpu cooler height.

If it is increased to 57mm, i can fit the stock Wraith Stealth cooler or ID-Cooling IS-50X.

If it is increased to 71mm, I can fit the stock Wraith Spire or Noctua L12S.

Given the trend of hotter and hotter Ryzen APUs, that will make this case more future proof.
Here, have a look at the post i just put up for your curiosity.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/j-hack-pure-feat-wraith-stealth.11737/

album here:

Reactions: Soul_Est

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Based on the name, I'm assuming it's designed by and for SFF purists. I've seen those people posting on these forums and they seem like the type of people who would notice a 10% difference in volume. ? I personally wouldn't mind the difference for the added features but I do appreciate the alternative for people who want as little volume as possible.

I am one of those people, yet at the same time, I believe that little space increases can up usability a lot (I look no further than the Cerebrus for proof).

maxdfw

Smol Form Factor
Aug 21, 2019
For 300W consumption, you'd have to have a GPU + 71mm cooler to dissipate that much heat. That or a full sized cooler. At anything around 3L, it doesn't make sense to support that much power since you wouldn't be able to cool it. For CPU, you'd need either a 140 rad or a full 160mm tower to cool 300W.

Mini-DTX motherboards don't actually exist, as the purpose is to have 2 slots instead of 1. I have not seen any consumer boards out there. Flex-ATX is quite easily available. They're labeled "mATX" on the market as I've linked.

If the Pure grows by 10% volume you gain the following:
1. FLEX ATX support (1 x16 + 2 x1 slots)
2. Low profile GPU + UHP-200-12 support
3. 4x SSD + UHP-200-12 support

You lose the following:
1. Increase of volume by 10%
2. 7mm loss on CPU cooler height.

RPS-200 support still remains.

Of course, additionally it'll be made in USA. There may be a small price increase but hopefully a good design can prevent that. We'll have to see.

Mini-DTX:

Reactions: Soul_Est