Log My SFF builds / journey

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Finally decide to have a dedicated thread to document everything SFF that I do. So here it is.

Preface:
Just a bit of background about me. Loved video games growing up (even more because my parents forbid it in typical Asian parent fashion), which led to my enthusiasm for computers and technology in general. Stuck with laptop throughout schools so built myself my first PC with the first bonus I got out of uni. Started out typical ATX tower build, then found SFF around 2017-2018 and drawn to this forum because of the Dan A4.

Current builds:

v5.1 - ZS OC v1 -
Unicorn no more

Current part list (as of 05 November 2021):
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact Mini DTX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix MAX RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory
  • Storage:
    • Main/OS Drive: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    • Mass storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB OC Formula Video Card
  • Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
    • Custom: J-HACK M2426 (Customizable Kit) - SF Platinum
  • Monitor: LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 38.0" 3840x1600 160 Hz Monitor

Watercooling part list:
  • CPU block: TechN CPU Waterblock AMD AM4 - Elox Silver
  • Radiator: Hardware Labs GTS360
  • Pump: XSPC D5 PWM (SATA power cable, NOT MOLEX)
  • Reservoir: Optimus Absolute D5 5.75" (Blemish)
  • Tubing and fittings: primarily Alphacool TPV 12.7/7.6
  • Sensors: 1x Alphacool in-line temp sensor, 1x Koolance in-line temp & flow sensor combo
Lone Industries L5 - No GPU, No Problemo

Part list:
  • 5600G + Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • X570i Aorus Pro Wifi + 32GB Ripjaws V DDR4 3200C16
  • 512GB Samsung OEM NVME Gen.3
  • Lone L5 + Arch Daemon 200W + Mini-box 192W brick
Previous Iterations:

v4.0 - CM NR200 - Triple radiator build

v3.2 - FormD T1 - Custom watercooling loop for the CPU, still deshroud GPU

v3.1 - FormD T1 - De-shroud the GPU, upgrade the 3rd radiator fan so there are now 3x A12x25 and 2x A12x15 in the build, and added the J-Hack M.2426 to replace the 24-pin cable

v3.0 - FormD T1 case - EK AIO with stock Sapphire Pulse RX5700 XT

v2.3 - Formula X1 case - naked AIO slapped on top for shits and giggles

v2.2 - Ghetto-mod the Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse (de-shroud and custom fans)

v2.1 - upgraded with custom length Teflon PSU cables

v2.0 - Stock PSU cables

v1.0 - 1.1 - The only change was the CPU cooler, moved on from the Noctua NH-L9a AM4 over to the Black Ridge (Taobao clone)

Last edited:

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Thanks for sharing. Nice build. Are you satisfied with the performance of the build? Does it meet your expectations? Anything you wish you did differently?

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for sharing. Nice build. Are you satisfied with the performance of the build? Does it meet your expectations? Anything you wish you did differently?

thanks for asking!
  • Performance-wise, CPU is good enough to me for the next 3-5 years. My ATX build had an i5-4460 for 5 years haha. GPU is where it is lacking since I'm gaming at 1440p, really looking forward to upgrade to Big Navi later this year
  • Expectation, oh hell yes. Wouldn't have thought about packing this much PC power in this tiny package. I literally WOWed myself when putting the Dan A4 next to the Inwin 303 (my previous) tower
  • Things I'd do differently, may have skipped the A4 altogether and just go straight for the X1, skipped the L9a and just go for Black Ridge. But then again it's all part of learning. One thing for sure though, getting custom cables. The SF750 stock cables are good quality but just too long and too thick for SFF enthusiasts, they were made for cases like the H200i or similar.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
May be, for the sake of a documentary being more complete and for the benefit of other future owners, you can put down the the length of each custom cable used (and the link to the shop (Taobao?) used)?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
May be, for the sake of a documentary being more complete and for the benefit of other future owners, you can put down the the length of each custom cable used (and the link to the shop (Taobao?) used)?

oh yeah for sure I'll post it here. There are some local cable makers/sellers in my local community so I'm having one of them make the cables for me. It's gonna be similar to the Losercard cable mods, 1 CPU 4+4 pin cable, 1 24 pin cable and 2 GPU 6+2 pin cable for 30 USD total.

For the length I basically use Dan A4 custom cables as starter and then conservatively shorten them just a bit.
  • CPU 4+4 pin - keeping the same 240mm, still plenty of empty space at the bottom of the case on the motherboard side to lay the cable there.
  • Motherboard 24 pin - shorten it to 150mm, thought about making it really short like 70mm since the 24 pin header on the X570i is literally next to the PSU, but then the extra length may become useful in the future
  • GPU 6+2 pin - shorten it 200mm, since I can stash them in the gaps between the PSU and back of GPU. Think I can get away with 150-160mm though.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Current build iteration:
v2.0 - Formula X1 case

Check this case out, not released yet but very promising

here is an ultimate build for 2020 so far:

Also, I wonder why would you go with bigger case and do not even use 240mm AIO !!

and "Formula X1" looks way bigger compare to already big "dan a4" case.

• Haha

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Check this case out, not released yet but very promising

here is an ultimate build for 2020 so far:

Also, I wonder why would you go with bigger case and do not even use 240mm AIO !!

and "Formula X1" looks way bigger compare to already big "dan a4" case.

First, how would I buy a case that is not accessible yet? Ali hyped the T1 enough already and I'm the anti-hype type so I won't be buying the T1 any time soon if at all (yes I've never watched a single second of Breaking Bad because of the hype LOL).

Second, no, I don't do watercooling/AIO - less point of failures, less maintenance and plane travel without any worries. And you can go ask people who use the Ghost without tophat the same question, it's because I can. I run the 3900X in Eco mode and temps are good enough for my liking.

Finally you do not have the X1 and A4 side by side like I do, yes the X1 is bigger and it looks bigger but it is not WAY bigger.

so there you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Dan A4 is 317x200x112 (7.25L)
Formula X1 is 310x182x134 (7.5L)
No big difference, IMHO.
T1 is 330x217x133 (9.5L). If A4 is already a big case, T1 is even bigger...lol

I am not exactly an anti-hype but maybe a non-hype. I might or might not go along, not necessarily 'always yes' or 'always no'. BTW, what Breaking Bad? What are you talking about? lol

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
The build is now v2.1. Usually custom cables would not count as a major part but given my config, it is a key component for sure.

So I got the custom cables on Monday but waited until today to replace the stock cables with it. The cable lengths I chose were really spot on, like there's no play in the cable whatsoever. If I had to order another set I would increase the length of each cable by 1-2cm to make it easier to route and plug in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mangapc and rfarmer

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
The build is now v2.1. Usually custom cables would not count as a major part but given my config, it is a key component for sure.

So I got the custom cables on Monday but waited until today to replace the stock cables with it. The cable lengths I chose were really spot on, like there's no play in the cable whatsoever. If I had to order another set I would increase the length of each cable by 1-2cm to make it easier to route and plug in.

looks nice,
those cables are expensive AF !!
:)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
there was a good deal on a MSI 5700 XT MECH OC (46mm thickness) so I thought let's see if I could find a way shove it in the X1 (45mm clearance)

It came in like this, and no I did not put all the instant noodle in there. It was the seller's method of shipping instead of using packing foam haha

The card itself. Didn't took any pictures whilst I was banging my head against the wall trying to fit this in. Basically MSI screws the card up with a giant thick-ass 4mm backplate. WHY??? If the backplate was only 2mm then the card would fit in the case perfectly. Shame ?

Last edited:

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
there was a good deal on a MSI 5700 XT MECH OC (46mm thickness) so I thought let's see if I could find a way shove it in the X1 (45mm clearance)

It came in like this, and no I did not put all the instant noodle in there. It was the seller's method of shipping instead of using packing foam haha

The card itself. Didn't took any pictures whilst I was banging my head against the wall trying to fit this in. Basically MSI screws the card up with a giant thick-ass 4mm backplate. WHY??? If the backplate was only 2mm then the card would fit in the case perfectly. Shame ?

so what is your solution now ?
are you to going to take off those fans and put slimmer ones ?
or just return it ?

btw, "PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon Rx 5700 Xt" fits perfectly since it is 2 slots gpu and not false advertised 2.5 slots gpu.
also, msi is known for very poor quality control of their product !!

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
so what is your solution now ?
are you to going to take off those fans and put slimmer ones ?
or just return it ?

btw, "PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon Rx 5700 Xt" fits perfectly since it is 2 slots gpu and not false advertised 2.5 slots gpu.
also, msi is known for very poor quality control of their product !!

I passed the card on to a buddy for what I paid. That's why I took the deal in the 1st place knowing the dimensions and clearances. And FYI 2-slot custom 5700 XT in my country is non-existent. The distributor for PowerColor only sells the Devil cards. The distributor for Asrock doesn't even bother to stock 5700XT, only 5600XT Challenger.

Trust me when I say this - I always do my homework and I know what I'm getting myself into. I knew the card would not fit out of the box, my intention, as stated, was to see if I can squish / shift things around to make up that 1mm difference. And although I could not fit the card in, I got the confirmation that there's literally no wiggle room in the X1, what with all the panels being 3-4mm thick LOL