Log My SFF builds / journey

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
currently I'm debating these options:
  • EK Special Edition - really love the visual design, the 2 terminals for flexibility and can upgrade to an active backplate down the line if necessary. Heavily featured in Optimum Tech videos so you all know what it is. Somewhat difficult to source based on my location
  • Bitspower Mobius - actually smaller width than the EK block but it is a full 2-slot thickness, and I don't like the terminal protruding from the main block like that, but I can easily source it
  • Corsair XG7 - the least striking visually, has all the thermal pads cut off and placed on the block & backplate already and I can get it for really really cheap
Current thinking is Corsair just because it's so much cheaper and more convenient. But I have always liked the EK since the launch. If only Optimus would come out with an FE block it would be insta-buy for me! Much appreciated if someone can chime in 😂
IMHO, visual impact is a big feature of an open frame as all components are proudly and shamelessly exposed for the eyes to see. So, why not the EK SE? Is the chief reason its hard-to-get situation? I think, EK ships internationally from their webstore. They do not ship to Vietnam?

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
IMHO, visual impact is a big feature of an open frame as all components are proudly and shamelessly exposed for the eyes to see. So, why not the EK SE? Is the chief reason its hard-to-get situation? I think, EK ships internationally from their webstore. They do not ship to Vietnam?
shipping direct from EK is almost 100 USD on top since they are in Slovenia, and I'm moving the build to the N-ATX anyway the most I will see from the block is the LED through the vent holes haha. EK was top of mind for sure until I find this Corsair block (granted it's an ebay auction but it will be much cheaper than both EK and Bitspower in the end).

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I like this last build, and I keep wondering what is the case / is there any enclosure that can accommodate this setup.
The Meshilicious? Is almost there, but this could fit in even smaller space.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
I like this last build, and I keep wondering what is the case / is there any enclosure that can accommodate this setup.
The Meshilicious? Is almost there, but this could fit in even smaller space.
nope, Meshlicious can't accommodate the 360 rad and the D5 pump-res combo.

Spoiler: SFF time N-ATX can 🤫

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
This is going to be my case for the next few years - 14L volume that can house 360 radiator, mDTX board and D5 pump-res combo ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Though the full steel construction makes the entire case weight close to 5KG. Wish there was a full aluminium version to slim it down to about 2KG or so

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It's not that I don't want to believe you...but you know...given this threads page count...😅

Glad for you! Can't wait to see the build!
Just what I would say.
Your ZS OC v1 barely got warmed up and now it is past tense? Seems like it was only last week that you set it up.
You change cases faster than a lady changes her handbag.😄
And yes, 5kg for a bare case is heavyyyy.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
It's not that I don't want to believe you...but you know...given this threads page count...😅

Glad for you! Can't wait to see the build!
yeah I changed cases a fair amount but only because my hardware wasn't fixed. I would have stuck with the T1 if it weren't for the Impact board LOL the case will need to undergo a couple of small mods to make my build work and I'm moving to a new apartment in a month so I think I'll hold off building until then

Just what I would say.
Your ZS OC v1 barely got warmed up and now it is past tense? Seems like it was only last week that you set it up.
I planned to use the ZS OC v1 (thanks to you no less) until I could get the N-ATX late this year or in 2022. But as fate would have it, got it open box from reddit so that's how it got to this LOL still, I will get another month or two of use out of the ZS OC

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Just what I would say.
5kg is the whole package, case is actually around 3.6kg without cables (add weight for riser, ac internal cable and bolts)

bumplebee

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 11, 2021
Your switched from Aquanaut to TechN, any particular reason other than RGB? 😁
How is the before and after temp?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Your switched from Aquanaut to TechN, any particular reason other than RGB? 😁
How is the before and after temp?
that was when I switched from the T1 to NR200 - I had all the space for a dedicated pump-top/res combo, so I got a dedicated CPU block instead. Aquanaut is really meant for sub-10L case with very limited height clearance (50mm and below).

RGB on the TechN block was nice and I think thermal performance was better but I don't have any direct like-for-like data to quantify it since the loops are so different to each other, with additional components etc.

Reactions: bumplebee

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Got a few things in the mail today from J-Hack

From left-to-right:
  • Additional cable to allow me using different PSUs for the eventual upgrade to 1000W SFX-L, all to satisfy that 3090 FE
  • The 3D printed shield to cover up the 3 blindingly bright white LEDs on the M.2426 unit (illustrated below)
  • And SATA cable that comes out directly from the M.2426 to power my D5 pump. No longer need a huge-ass cable with 4 SATA connectors just to use 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: eedev and Arboreal

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Guess who's back? Back again? (Well I'm not quite back yet haha)

It's been 4 months since my last update - what happened? COVID happened, what? Only now in 2021? For context I live in Vietnam where we got through 2020 relatively unscathed, only 2 times lockdown was imposed, each time was less than a month. There were very few infections and 0 death in 2020. Forward to 2021 and the Delta variant hit us like an effing Hulk smashing - 3 months of complete lockdown, curfews imposed, military deployed to distribute food to the population.

Now, on to the SFF things:
  • For my main build: I swapped out the 3090 FE for a 6900 XT OC Formula - 900 USD less for about the same performance. Luckily Bykski makes a block for this custom model so that block is on the way. Once it reaches me I'll begin the migrating / rebuilding in the N-ATX. Also swapping out the RAM kit for Crucial Ballistix MAX 4000C18 32GB - don't need 64GB and this one has better room for manual OC. My 5950X can boot with XMP 4000C18 normally but FCLK is only 1800 at Auto, then run fine at 1900 and no boot at 2000. Next step is to dial back the kit to 3800 with decent timings (C14 or C16 at the very least). Some pics of the 3090 FE vs. 6900 XT OC Formula - definitely the situation of the guy your girl been telling you to not worry about LOL
  • For my secondary build / maybe new build for my dad or my brother: impulsively bought a Lone L5 with G-Unique Arch Daemon during the last restock in May/June. The case sat in container at port/airport forever whilst lockdown was going on but I've got it on hands now. Then got a good deal for a 500W G-Unique GxR-ONE combo from @REVOCCASES, and just bought a X570i Aorus Pro Wifi on the cheap a couple of days ago. Funny how it comes full circle as an X570i Aorus was my very first ITX board. The final decision to take is whether to make this build APU with Ryzen 5600G/5700G or get a GTX 1650 LP so to have more options on the CPU side. Some pics of the case out of the box - that perforated front is classic and the panda colour mix is just beautiful. Thanks @Lone for the support!

Last edited:

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Guess who's back? Back again? (Well I'm not quite back yet haha)

It's been 4 months since my last update - what happened? COVID happened, what? Only now in 2021? For context I live in Vietnam where we got through 2020 relatively unscathed, only 2 times lockdown was imposed, each time was less than a month. There were very few infections and 0 death in 2020. Forward to 2021 and the Delta variant hit us like an effing Hulk smashing - 3 months of complete lockdown, curfews imposed, military deployed to distribute food to the population.

Now, on to the SFF things:
  • For my main build: I swapped out the 3090 FE for a 6900 XT OC Formula - 900 USD less for about the same performance. Luckily Bykski makes a block for this custom model so that block is on the way. Once it reaches me I'll begin the migrating / rebuilding in the N-ATX. Also swapping out the RAM kit for Crucial Ballistix MAX 4000C18 32GB - don't need 64GB and this one has better room for manual OC. My 5950X can boot with XMP 4000C18 normally but FCLK is only 1800 at Auto, then run fine at 1900 and no boot at 2000. Next step is to dial back the kit to 3800 with decent timings (C14 or C16 at the very least). Some pics of the 3090 FE vs. 6900 XT OC Formula - definitely the situation of the guy your girl been telling you to not worry about LOL

• For my secondary build / maybe new build for my dad or my brother: impulsively bought a Lone L5 with G-Unique Arch Daemon during the last restock in May/June. The case sat in container at port/airport forever whilst lockdown was going on but I've got it on hands now. Then got a good deal for a 500W G-Unique GxR-ONE combo from @REVOCCASES, and just bought a X570i Aorus Pro Wifi on the cheap a couple of days ago. Funny how it comes full circle as an X570i Aorus was my very first ITX board. The final decision to take is whether to make this build APU with Ryzen 5600G/5700G or get a GTX 1650 LP so to have more options on the CPU side. Some pics of the case out of the box - that perforated front is classic and the panda colour mix is just beautiful. Thanks @Lone for the support!
Sweet.

I'll buy the 3090 from you if you want to just save money.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
My build is delayed because the 6900XT waterblock spent a whole month getting from China to Vietnam, and now stuck in Customs hell since 30/11. So I spent this afternoon prepping the case
  • Drilled 3 holes on the motherboard tray: even with the upper locations, my C8I being m-DTX will not clear radiator + fans at the bottom. thus the needs to move up the board by about 15mm to have just enough clearance
  • Drilled 2 holes on the bottom of the case: this is to move the riser mounting location, hence the entire GPU with water block, to just 30mm away from the side panel. this way there will be enough clearance for 25mm fans + 30mm radiator at the back (the default mounting holes are 1, 2, 3, 4 slot and not a single strip for complete customisation)
  • Mounted the EK-UNI 30/70 brackets to the case - this is to mount my Optimus pump-res combo
Apologies for my hand-drill skill, the holes will not be visible at all once fully built so I don't care really LOL

Last edited: