INARI - Cerberus in sand

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I dont even know right now lol. I lost my job after Hurricane Irma it really sucks because $400+ could go a long way for my S4 Mini :/
I'm sorry for you. I hope you will find a new job quickly.

After comparing cerberus-x and s4 mini is difficult as they are not meant for same purpose.
Cerberus-x you can use carry over parts (psu, gpu, etc) either s4 mini is requiring far more specific components with more rework (like psu cable)

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Really liked the wooden stripe complement (I also liked the cute kitty lol).

The beige color looks much better than I'd imagined.

By the way, the power button on your Cerberus looks to be flush or lower than the top panel. Why is that? Looking all the other photos from Cerberus it looks like the button extrudes a little the top panel. It looks much better the way you have it.

Button sitting flush:

Button extrusion:

Has my eyes always deceived me and the button always sited flush on the case!? Now this case looks even more gorgeous to me.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I believe those are simply different buttons :) You can find many kinds of Bulgin (Anti-Vandal) Switches

Reactions: Kooki

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Oh... of course! What I was thinking!? XD
No worries :) I prefer the bulgin switches with flat tops and chamfered edges, but others like round tops, and some even prefer to have the capacitive types

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
@Kooki I was pleasantly surprised by the beige myself too! I'd gotten a last minute update that there was beige available at the end of the pre-production run and went "oh what the heck, I'll snag that one". The washi tape is still holding up well, though I should probably redo it at some point with better corner coverage. My power button is the default one that came with the case, so the button height should be about the same as ones from the regular production run as per the most recent photos from @KSliger.

I'm also aiming to get a set of grey panels once the product page and ordering is live.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Has my eyes always deceived me and the button always sited flush on the case!? Now this case looks even more gorgeous to me.

It is the same button, but in the first picture the top panel isn’t pushed all the way down.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nope second photo is wrong or outdated (at least vs pre production)

the two nuts near power button are not existing on mine

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Confirm there's no audio jacks on Cerberus or Cerberus X, prototype had them but the audio cables / custom PCB was cost prohibitive for target price.

I wish my photos of beige and white turned out better, but here's an update for Cerb X pictures:

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
Winter Update 12/29 - Cable Management (sort of)
Finally! Also featuring right-side-out ODD, rearranged hard drives, and robot ears while flexing the top panel in the other direction for a while.

I could only do so much with the default Corsair cables, but stashing the excess front i/o lengths in the unoccupied front PSU mount worked nicely. I rearranged the storage drives for fun, but now I can't help but think about how many more drives I could add in there! Not that I have any... (yet) Also on the theoretical agenda is coming up with more decorative washi weirdness.

Last edited:

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
GPU upgrade, format updates (albums inside spoilers are getting squashed into thin lines), and another amusing travel bag option!

I'd gotten the Wallye Tactik Duffle v2 for a bunch of other reasons that didn't actually include trying to stuff Cerberus in there but... curiosity fueled by browsing forums happens and results in proofs of concept.

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
Thanks for the update!
The most amusing part is that a few hours after posting this, I wound up packing it up again for real along with the rest of my portable setup to overnight due to the air conditioning going out.
Worked like a charm!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I suppose Cerberus is unofficially supported by the WALLYE Tactik :)

@Ankacat What are your first impressions of the bag? I've been excited to get feedback from our first wave of orders for that.

(Also, bummer about the a/c, hopefully that gets straightened away fast...)

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
I suppose Cerberus is unofficially supported by the WALLYE Tactik :)

@Ankacat What are your first impressions of the bag? I've been excited to get feedback from our first wave of orders for that.

(Also, bummer about the a/c, hopefully that gets straightened away fast...)

Happily the a/c was a prompt maintenance fix the next morning, yay for relatively simple problems that are somebody else's job to actually repair.

Wallye Feedback:

Setup/packing
The bag worked like a charm on its first trip, though I had to refer back to the promo video to figure out which way was inside/outside for the large insert. Packing my setup for overnight saw me using just the sides of that insert with the top panel folded down to allow Cerberus to poke out of the top and enable loading. I wound up having a small amount of space in the front of the main compartment for my headset bag and mouse, as well as just enough space on the side to squish in the full-length keyboard bag (Logitech K310, not very thick) and my rolled-up mousepad before zipping that section up. All remaining cords were easily tucked in to the zipper pocket on the side flap and the zippered section of the luggage strap. With either a lighter build or had I been using the bag in backpack mode instead of duffle mode, I would have put my tablet screen into the bottom pouch to fully stow the entire portable setup in one bag; instead it went into my backpack/purse as the Cerbie is 17-18 lbs.

Comparing to previous travel solution
In comparison to packing everything up in the sewing bag from last fall, I felt like I had more useful room in the Wallye due to the optimization of space for carrying computing equipment instead of sewing equipment; the sewing bag had a little more space in the main carrying compartment but the additional zippered sections in the duffle were larger and more secure. The sewing bag would pull ahead in airport security in the case of removing Cerberus for individual binning to run through the machine, but only because of needing a single lift to remove the case instead of up, sideways around feet, and out; both situations require unpacking other items stowed in the main compartment and any smaller/"dimensionally optimized for this bag" cases like the MachOne wouldn't have this sort of issue.

Handling/Handles
Handling of the Wallye in transit was great on all levels. The shoulder strap was both easy to adjust and comfortable, it was quite easy to bring the bag down and back up to my third-floor apartment with no noticeable "day after" soreness. I neglected to try it packed in backpack mode but when I tested the straps out while setting up the bag post-delivery they were quite comfortable. It may have been for the best that I chose duffle mode instead of backpack mode for carrying Cerberus, when I put Cerberus in another large backpack and then wore it for proof of concept fun I almost fell over backwards :p.
I outright love the side handle, it's functional and comfortable when pulling the bag out of odd corners you've stashed it in or for carrying it around upright; the lack of an additional handle on the other side means no falling over as well as easing keeping track of which end you've packed as "front".
The pockets next to the two "primary" carrying straps are great, as they both eliminate the problem of handles flopping around/rubbing against your leg while using an alternate carrying method but also provide some quick-access storage compartments.

Overall opinion
The Wallye v2 is definitely everything I was hoping it would be when I pulled the trigger for it; I love well-designed, good looking bags and particularly multimodal ones with plenty of pockets. I'll definitely be using it for future travel of all sorts, since it seemed just as at home stuffed in the car with my/the boyfriend's overnight goodies and electronics as it would be nestled in overhead cabin storage on a plane. Plenty of slack in the adjustable straps for shoulder and backpack mode means that it'll fit just as well on both big and small people, though it's a little visually comedic for me to be carrying a square-edged backpack that's bigger than my torso (minus shoulders).

D

Deleted member 11129

hi there 1st post here. just wondering how have you got the disc drive connected? is via a usb header? also in thinking of following in your footsteps here with the odd idea. any luck on the 3-D printed custom bracket idea?