Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

birdsliveoutthere

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2020

I purchased this cooler on Amazon for use in my Dan A4 v1/Ryzen 3700x build to replace the Noctua L9a (with shroud) I have been using. I used the Noctua backplate and swapped the fan to a spare NF-A9x14 PWM, oriented to blow towards the motherboard (the included fan can not be flipped, the blades will hit the fins). Temps rose quickly to +90C in prime95, which I attributed to the picture above. The bracket stripped when I was securing it, not allowing adequate pressure against the CPU. The mounting screw wasn't cross threaded, I think I received a dud.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

I purchased this cooler on Amazon for use in my Dan A4 v1/Ryzen 3700x build to replace the Noctua L9a (with shroud) I have been using. I used the Noctua backplate and swapped the fan to a spare NF-A9x14 PWM, oriented to blow towards the motherboard (the included fan can not be flipped, the blades will hit the fins). Temps rose quickly to +90C in prime95, which I attributed to the picture above. The bracket stripped when I was securing it, not allowing adequate pressure against the CPU. The mounting screw wasn't cross threaded, I think I received a dud.

Yikes. If you're in USA, give me a PM and I can hook you up with a fix.

Here is a sample of the IS-60 EVO.

Fan looks sweet.

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2020

Fan looks sweet.

Iirc, the fan in this is supposed to be ARGB, isn't it? Would you be able to take a pic of it when turned on? Kinda thinking of getting just the fans to replace my non-RGB ID-Cooling NO-12015 fan that I used on my deshrouded GPU.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Iirc, the fan in this is supposed to be ARGB, isn't it? Would you be able to take a pic of it when turned on? Kinda thinking of getting just the fans to replace my non-RGB ID-Cooling NO-12015 fan that I used on my deshrouded GPU.

Yes it is argb. Unfortunately I don't have my desktop available at the moment. It is in storage while I deal with some stuff.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Silverstone has a slim argb 120mm fan. Not as sexy as this one, but still an option. Or maybe go with a phanteks halos argb ring.

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2020
Silverstone has a slim argb 120mm fan. Not as sexy as this one, but still an option. Or maybe go with a phanteks halos argb ring.
Did you mean this one? Seems a good alternative to the ID-Cooling ARGB fan, but I don't think it's available where I'm from, at least when I searched for it the last time. Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

birdsliveoutthere

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2020

Fan looks sweet.

Thanks for the offer, I would have taken you up on that but I returned it to Amazon. If I had enough room in the case to do a push/pull configuration and the bracket wasn't broken, I think this cooler would have been a good option. I've decided to go the FormD T1/liquid CPU cooling route.

soyboy

Cable Smoosher
Jul 27, 2020
As someone who is swapping out my Noctua L9A for the IS47K - what would every suggest my set up be in terms of mounting? I'm already going to try and reverse the fan direction but not sure if I should use the stock mounting solution or the hardware from my L9A setup. Would appreciate any help as I have a K39 case and it is very annoying to have to undo everything so I would prefer to do only have to take it apart once! Thanks

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
As someone who is swapping out my Noctua L9A for the IS47K - what would every suggest my set up be in terms of mounting? I'm already going to try and reverse the fan direction but not sure if I should use the stock mounting solution or the hardware from my L9A setup. Would appreciate any help as I have a K39 case and it is very annoying to have to undo everything so I would prefer to do only have to take it apart once! Thanks
Use the Noctua back plate. The IS47K has issues with proper mounting pressure; using a good backplate will help fix the problem.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
When you finish the change, please do tell what is the outcome.
Currently wondering between staying with Wraith Stealth, the Noctua and the IS47K. So any additional hands-on feedback will be valuable.

soyboy

Cable Smoosher
Jul 27, 2020
When you finish the change, please do tell what is the outcome.
Currently wondering between staying with Wraith Stealth, the Noctua and the IS47K. So any additional hands-on feedback will be valuable.

I did not do any stress testing on my noctua as I was in a rush but running the IS47K is about 28-30C on idle and 60C on prime95 - so looks good so far!

soyboy

Cable Smoosher
Jul 27, 2020
I also decided to use my Noctua fan as when I flipped the stock fan there seemed to be interference between the fans and the heat fins.

soyboy

Cable Smoosher
Jul 27, 2020
After about 30 minutes of Prime95 on Small FFTs it got to a maximum of 69 C according to HWInfo and 35 C minimum.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
After about 30 minutes of Prime95 on Small FFTs it got to a maximum of 69 C according to HWInfo and 35 C minimum.
It's great that you're posting results as you're testing, but please use the edit button rather than posting five times in a row in the same thread. It's down next to the Report button on the lower left of the post, or hidden behind the [...] menu in the same spot if you're on mobile.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
To be fair to soyboy, I don't think I actually had an Edit button until my first few posts... or maybe I just suck at looking. (I really looked!)

Reactions: soyboy

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
What is your setup, actually? What CPU and what case?
This will put the results in perspective.