Brainfart: A Black Ridge in a Skyreach 4 mini?

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
This is just a brainfart that stimulated my curiosity. I don't own a Skyreach 4 or any SFF hardware to begin with, just wanting to share some of my brain juices here.

While browsing today something got me thinking. The Alpenföhn Black Ridge is 47mm tall. If you pair that baby with some VLP memory, you can smack a NHF12x15 underneath it and get some pretty good cooling out of it, definitely better than the NHL9i (god forgive me for this heresy).

Now, if my brain isn't complettely gone, then the following should fit snug in to the Skyreach 4 mini:

- A 9th Gen Intel CPU like the i7 9700 Delided
- A OC Frame
- VLP RAM Modules
- Black Ridge with a NHF12x15 mounted beneath

Results in a mounted cooler height of 44mm. If i have picked up the information correctly, then a delided 9th Gen Intel CPU "saves" 3mm in height and if Optimum Techs recent direct die cooling results are somewhat transferable to air coolers, wouldn't that make the best possible cooling solution, while still having a big boy GPU? Also add a undervolt to the mix.

From the one video of a Rev.2 Black Ridge mounted with VLP, there appears to be enough wiggle room to go 3mm lower. I would imagine that this would also benefit the surrounding hardware a bit with some good pressure airflow.

Another fart that escaped was when i rewatched LTT take on the S4 mini, with the cutout for the beefy RAM modules. Wouldn't a cutout for the Black Ridge make it a perfect "open air" cooler solution? Would be pretty flush (with the IHS in place ofc).

Consider my brainfart concluded.

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
The Black RIdge is something that I've given a lot of thought about here recently. The thing to keep in mind is that the MoBo has a LOT to do with whether or not it'll fit. My ROG STRIX B360-i is a highly efficient board that I got at a good price, however the heatsinks (that have been accused of being heat-traps) get in the way of some CPU coolers - the Alpenfohn Black Ridge being one of them. I don't under/over-clock, but intel has a new addition with the i9 9900T with a TDP of 35w.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Yeah mobo would need special attention, some monster heatsinks are more placebo than anything. But if you go this far anyway, what's pesky little heatsinks mod?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Now, if my brain isn't complettely gone, then the following should fit snug in to the Skyreach 4 mini:

no specialized mods needed for BlackRidge cooler.

temps are good with a delidded 95W 8thGen processor.

see timestamped video from Josh | NFC :

Last edited:

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019

16:52
...I took off all of the heatsinks and stuff on it. You actually could leave the MOSFETs on this side next to the EPS power-on. I took it off anyway, just in case, to get it to fit well. I might put it back on...

There's plenty more documentation that this cooler will not work with that board without modding heatsinks one way or another, and that's the latest on that. However, if I were to get confirmation that the Black Ridge does work with the 300-series ROG STRIX without modification, then I would undoubtedly order one up for myself - If it didn't block the PCI-e connector.

While I was digging, I also found that there is an ASRock board out there that is also not Black Ridge friendly, but I don't remember which one (since I don't have an ASRock, it didn't matter at the time, but thought it's worth mentioning here.)

Reactions: NateDawg72

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017

16:52

There's plenty more documentation that this cooler will not work with that board without modding heatsinks one way or another, and that's the latest on that.

my info on the final system, which would have to come from its owner, is that there were very few superficial, if any mods.

this video shows the system, before it was finalized.

no highly specialized mods.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
So basically, it fits barely if you remove some heatsinks. Still hope someone would try direct die with it. :} thanks for the video.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
So basically, it fits barely if you remove some heatsinks.

somewhat accurate.

temps are very cool though.

note that in his video, the system's CPU was 35W 8th Gen.

final version of system has a delidded 95W 8thGen processor.

Last edited:

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Our dude that did the deus-ex skyreach used a black ridge, but with spaced panels. He said that he considered direct die cooling, but didn't specify why he didn't go with it (maybe i missed the reason). I need to pay more attention, or one day a piano will squish me. :/

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
maybe you should contact Josh | NFC directly, to get confirmation.

but my info is that a delidded 95W CPU, already has very cool temps.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I do believe you. After all, optimum tech did a quiet good video on the black ridge and a 8700K (delided, re-lided).

He just didn't have VLP RAM to test it with the fan underneath the cooler, but i believe we can take the value +/-1°C of the 12x15 on top as result. I say, a quiet cooler, that fits inside the Skyreach (with some attention to detail) and keeps a top bras CPU sub 70°C, is a good thing and need way more attention. Gotta browse the Black Ridge VLP thread a bit more frequently for that.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
i've also heard that a longer version of an NFC SkyReach case, is being worked on.

with extra length, this case will support liquid cooling.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Meh, LC just can't come close to the tiny size you achieve with air cooling. Also, some coolers just win by looks alone. I mean, look at the black ridge, the noctua stuff or even the old zalman stuff. Just gives me those og pc building vibes while looking darn sexy.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Asrock onlx has one z370 and z390 board each as far as I know. Regarding the blocked pcie, ist that a non-issue for the skyreach 4? Or do the extensions stick to high up?

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
asrock has 2 z390 itx boards and 2 z370 itx boards. their "m-itx/ac" boards(which are the lower end versions) have much smaller vrm heatsinks.